AFC Challenge Cup 2014

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by shayanAFG, Sep 11, 2012.

1. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
  2. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
  3. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    I know! Lovely, isn't it?

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Match Schedule

[​IMG]

5. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Myanmar striker Kyi Lin is still recovering from an injury and trying desperately to be there in the Maldives. He is an important player for the White Angels.

Laos might have forgotten they participate in the Challenge Cup in TWO MONTHS (or somewhat longer). Are they going to practice against another NT? And if so, when? Their match schedule says they know when the Chalenge Cup is... but then, their match schedule also mentions the FIFA World Cup, which I thought (but I'm not sure) they didn't qualify for...

6. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
  7. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Maldives have finally appointed a coach; Drago Mamic, a Croat who apparently managed Myanmar not too long ago. He is a UEFA Pro licence holder so what could possibly go wrong, eh?

druryfire repped this.
  8. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Meanwhile, Simon McMenemy just got appointed as the New Radiant manager. Just goes to prove the difference a competent management could make.

9. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Laos dropped 16 places on the FIFA ranks. They're still not the lowest-ranked AFC Challenge Cup-team, though. That's Myanmar, who went down 43 places to 173rd.

10. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    How does a team drop 43 places in a month?? Maldives went up 6 places for no reason.

11. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
  12. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    No, it is not on official FIFA match days , but World Cup teams are using Late May for friendlies because many European leagues are finished in Mid May.

Many foreign based players that want to play in AFC Challenge Cup can be released by their clubs. Some may have problems if their clubs are playing league matches in May when AFC Challenge Cup is ongoing.

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #1513 Pelefan, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    Acc. to jonny's comments on his blogsite, McMenemy's contract with New Radiant, is only good for 2 months to help the team prepare for the AFC Cup, as he has some commitments in June. Maybe they took him on a trial basis.

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #1514 Pelefan, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    FIFA's rankings are based on a team's performance over the last four years, with more recent results and more significant matches being more heavily weighted, so even if you haven't played lately, what happened 4 years ago will affect your standings today.

Afghanistan is now the highest FIFA ranked Challenge Cup team at 127.

15. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

Maldives lost 6 ranking points . They had 120 points in February , and just 114 points in March.

Other teams lost more points and Maldives advanced.

16. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
    ********. Imad Zatara won't play for sure then. Not sure about Bahdari (Iraq), Kabir (Chile) & Norambuena (Poland).

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    If they are playing club matches during AFC Challenge Cup , it is up to the goodwill of the clubs. Im sure it is easier if the players are not in the starting XI:

18. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    pressure is on Afghanistan being the highest rank team.
    Although Afghanistan have a chance to win the cup, I think which ever team gets out of this Group (Afghanistan, Philippines, Turkmenistan) will go all the way to the final.

19. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Well, obviously, two teams from this group go to the semi-final. There is a great chance those two teams play the final. This is the calculation Yusef Kargar made the other day. He said if Afghanistan can get out of the group, the next matches would be easier. Of course, except the final.

20. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    , Laos...

21. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Laos I think can also take points of Philippines, with Turkmenistan and full strength Afghanistan they will be blown away by sheer physical presence of these teams..

22. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Myanmar Football Federation (MFF) has organised to play international friendly matches against Turkmenistan and Afgnanistan National Teams for Asian Challenge Cup 2014
    As a warm up preparation for AFC Challenge Cup 2014, MFF have officially requested to Turkmenistan and Afgnanistan football federation for international friendlies yesterday.
    Turkmenistan and Afgnanistan were not the opponents MFF first sought. Despite early organisation to play against Malaysia, the negotiation slipped through due to Malaysian players’ commitment to domestic league. The international friendly match will on 6 May 2014 in Yangon pending agreement from one of the football governing bodies.
    “Yesterday we have invited Turkmenistan and Afghanistan for friendly matches on 6 May in Yangon.

23. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Somebody on Wikipedia says Laos have played an international friendly against Bahrain on 5 March in Vientiane. I don't think this is true, because the given match report was about another match between Laos and Guam, and it seems unlikely to me, because goals from Vilayout Sayyabounsou, Khonesavanh Sihavong and Sopha Saysana would have given Laos a resounding 3-0 (!) victory. Thereby, Bahrain were in Qatar on 5 March, for the Asian Cup qualifiers. But just for a second I hoped it was true...

24. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    I know that a prominent betting website had a friendly match between Turkmenistan and Maldives up for grabs a couple of years ago. I found out after someone on these forums pointed it out. Turkmenistan won that match 3-2, coming back from 2 goals down. Someone obviously made money from it. The catch? That match never took place.

25. aminou

aminou Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Club:
    Palestino Santiago
    I really laughed out loud at that..