AFC Challenge Cup 2014

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by shayanAFG, Sep 11, 2012.

1. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Definitly, and which ever group that is, it will be the group of death I believe. If Philippines are grouped with Turkmenistan or Tajikistan plus a Bangladesh or foreign based Pakistan side, it will be an interesting group.

Afghanistan have a good chance of progress, if they are lucky, and can avoid Philippines, the remaining teams in Pot A are beatable (especially Kyrgyzstan, as I would put them in Pot D in terms of skill level.)

2. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Unless Afghanistan keep allot of their players from saff 2011 we dont know if Afghanistan will do well because we have never seen the players from the Afghan Premier league face any team other than the ones in it. They could do allot better or allot worse

3. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    unofficial reports suggest, draw will be today 11th December..

4. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was confirmed?

5. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    It has not been confirmed on the afc website but other ones and wikipedia have said it will be.

6. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Draw :

Group A : Myanmar (host) India ,Chinese Taipei and Guam

Group B : Kyrgyzstan (host) , Tajikistan , Pakistan and Macau

Group C : Nepal (hots) , Palestine , Bangladesh and Northern Marian Islands

Group D : Philippines (host) , Turkmenistan , Cambodia and Brunei

7. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Jonny63's usually quite thorough, but his copy and paste wasn't quite working today: here's all 5 groups :

Group A : Myanmar (hosts), India , Chinese Taipei and Guam

Group B : Kyrgyzstan (hosts), Tajikistan , Pakistan and Macau

Group C : Laos (hosts), Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Mongolia

Group D : Nepal (hosts), Palestine , Bangladesh and Northern Marian Islands

Group E : Philippines (hosts), Turkmenistan , Cambodia and Brunei

8. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  9. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    My predictions:
    Group A: Myannar
    Group B: Tajikistan
    Group C: Afghanistan
    Group D: Palestine
    Group E: Phillipines

2nd place: Turkmenistan and India

10. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    My fearless prediction in the qualification round:

Myanmar, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Palestine and the Philippines will top the groups, while the remaining two spots will be given to Bangladesh and Turkmenistan.

Group A is my group of death, following the recent rise of Guam in terms of performance, India desperate to recover from a bad 2012 tourney, Chinese Taipei's European recruits like Xavier Chen, and Myanmar being unpredictable in tourneys like these.

11. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myanmar will beat India??? Woah... I know India is bad right now but not that bad.

13. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    There is going to be some merciless minnow beating with teams trying to position themselves as the second-best runner up.

Group E is interesting. If the Philippines-Turkmenistan match produces a winner then one of the favorites going out before the finals stage becomes a real possibility. Especially because the runners up in Group A, C, and D could run up the score against Guam, Macau, and NMI, respectively.

jonny63 repped this.
  14. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Myanmar has improved of late... draw with Vietnam and Singapore and some wins over lesser nations. They should give headaches to India.

15. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Yes, a good point , but I think I would replace Guam with Mongolia . Guam just drew Chinese Taipei in EAFF qualifiers and is improving.

Brunei is a good team if they field all DPMM Fc players and Cambodia just drew Philippines in a friendly.

16. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Afghanistan cannot have a better chance of qualifying than this time. I was a bit disappointed when they failed to do so the last time, especially considering the terrific SAFF Championship they went on to have later that year.

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Fixtures Group B: Round 1 March 17 (Sunday) TAJIKISTAN - Pakistan Kyrgyzstan - Macau 2nd round on March 19 (Tuesday) Macau - TAJIKISTAN Kyrgyzstan - Pakistan 3rd round March 21 (Thursday) Pakistan - Macau Kyrgyzstan - Tajikistan
    http://www.cissoccer.com/news/11949.html

18. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Do you think the same format will be followed in other groups?

19. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I fully agree. Laos is a little bit tricky as they are playing host and they pulled out some extraordinary matches in recent months, but overall, I think Afghanistan has a decent chance of winning the group.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Tough draw for the Philippines. In a competition where only the group winners advance plus the two best 2nd place teams, they ended up having the highest ranked team in their group. Fortunately they are the host.

Like the other favorites in the other groups, both Turkmenistan and the Philippines will have to make as many goals as they can to get a better goal differential, against the other teams in the group to ensure a 2nd place spot. With Cambodia still possibly withdrawing from the competition, and Brunei very much improved lately, there is no guarantee that they can accomplish this. It is possible one of the 2 favorites will not make the finals.

If Cambodia withdraws, the teams in Group E should petition the AFC to have an additional qualifying competition for the 2nd placed teams, in order to ensure fairness in determining who among the teams deserve the 2 remaining spots.

The Azkals need to get as many of their best players as they can. Will it be possible to convince the AFC to move the group stage competition in the Philippines to May or June as they have indicated they will try to do to, so that they can ensure that their best European based players will be available?

21. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Yes, I think that is possible. The schedule might be ready also for the other groups ?

22. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Palestine matches in AFC Challenge Cup :

2o14 Challenge Cup Qualifiers
    vs. N. Mariana Islands 02/03/2013
    vs. Nepal 04/03/2013
    vs. Bangladesh 06/03/2013

http://footballpalestine.blogspot.com

23. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Don't quote me on that jonny63! I only posted those dates based on how the format was devised for the 2012 Challenge Cup Qualifying:

1st seed vs. 3rd seed & 2nd seed vs. 4th seed on match day 1 followed by 3 v. 4 and 1 v. 2 on the next match day.

24. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Do not hold your breath on getting cooperation from the AFC. The best you can hope to do is get the fixtures pushed to around the FIFA dates (March 22 & 26, I believe) but even that is going to be tough.

25. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Afghanistan should have enough strength to top the group. There recent performance in the SAFF Cup showed that the current team are no push overs. Given that they also had a recent national Afghan Premier League, I am sure there are some unknown talent noticed which should only strengthen the national team.

They still have towering defender Sharityar and Goal poacher Arezou,..