AFC Challenge Cup 2014

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by shayanAFG, Sep 11, 2012.

1. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I think the draw would be based on past performance rather than the FIFA ranking. It has been the same for the previous editions.

2. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    I have posted before in this thread :

Regulations

AFC Challenge Cup 2012 (Qualifiers)

18. Competition System

a) The Competition shall consist of one or two stages depending on the
    number of entries
    i. If there are more than sixteen (16) teams, the lower ranked
    teams (based on AFC Challenge Cup 2010 rankings) will
    play in a Home/Away play-off to determine the sixteen (16)
    qualifiers
    ii. Sixteen (16) teams or lesser to play in Group Stage
    Qualification (League system)
    b) Depending on the number of entries or in the case of withdrawals or
    suspensions of teams, the AFC Competitions Committee reserves the
    right and may change the Competition System (cf. Art. 18) and the
    Technical Regulations (cf. Art. 19)
    c) The AFC Competitions Committee forms groups and/or sub-groups for
    the Competition by drawing lots whilst taking sports, geographic and
    economic factors into consideration, as far as possible.

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Congratulations to Maldives for winning the bid to host the AFC Challenge Cup finals. My guess is that the Philippines be allowed to host one of the group stage qualifiers as a consolation prize. I think the determining factor for choosing Maldives is the all out support that the government of Maldives has given to their bid which assured the AFC that any preparations towards a successful hosting will be unhindered and any problems that come up can be easily remedied. The PFF had an attractive bid, but did not have the government backing that helped the Maldives bid.

My next question is if countries who are currently competing in the AFC Challenge Cup, like the Philippines continue rising in the AFC FIFA rankings, how will the AFC determine who will compete in the Asian Cup qualifying competition for the 2019 Asian Cup? Will it be better for these countries to compete in the AFC Challenge Cup where only the winners will have a chance to play in the playoffs or will they be bundled into the main AFC qualifying competition proper? It might be better for some of these countries like the Philippines and Palestine to enter the AFC qualifying competition proper despite the greater challenges they will have to face, in the future because of the fact that this competitions will likely be scheduled on FIFA match dates and therefore they will be assured of being able to use their best players for those games.

Apparently the AFC will continue allowing developing nations to compete in the Challenge Cup instead of reserving it for the emerging nations category. What therefore will stop middle ranked developing nations who are currently in the main Asian cup qualifying competition to opt to compete in the Challenge Cup competitions instead? The AFC should delineate clearly who will be allowed to participate in the future to avoid any confusion as well as minimize any allegations of bias in the selection process.

4. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    AFC is a joke, the whole Challenge Cup, Asian Cup qualifiers and a play off for 2016 and 2018 winners, its all a joke. Not sure where AFC are heading towards, but all I can read from all this, is that AFC only care about there big 5, and no one else, all other nations are just there to make up numbers.

The Challenge Cup can be incorporated in the Asian Cup qualifiers by the top 8 teams joining the final AC Qualifiers.... scrap the whole automatic berth/play off berth. I am sure the final 8 nations will be more than happy to participate against better nations in a qualifying format. These emerging nations have shown us of late that they aren't that far off from the mid-class nations..

5. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    The draw will be held on Dec 11, Tajikistan Football Federation website reports.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  7. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I was gonna predict they would host a qualifier again; the last time was in 2008 in Iloilo, where the Philippines lost their chance to qualify by goal difference.

But I'm still flabbergasted by the fact the AFC awarded Maldives the hosting rights out of sympathy. This is plain favouritism in my opinion and it's quite unbecoming of the AFC to prioritise the SAFF during low-tiered competitions like this.

8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Decision is done. I don't consider it a big deal. As our team manager said, it gives us more competitive games to prepare for the finals assuming of course we qualify, which is always an issue when you are hosting an event as World Cup host Brazil has been observing lately.

Arsenalkid700 repped this.
  9. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Since Maldives is the host this is how the pots should be

Pot A

* Turkmenistan
    * Philippines
    * Palestine
    * Tajikistan
    ----------------------

Pot B

* Nepal
    * India
    * Kyrgyzstan
    * Afghanistan
    -----------------------

Pot C

* Pakistan
    * Myanmar
    * Sri Lanka
    * Chinese Taipei
    ------------------------

Play Off Round

* Macau
    * Mongolia
    * Laos
    * Guam
    * Brunei
    * North Mariana Island

The teams in Pot A and Pot B should all qualify

10. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Since only 7 teams will qualify, I guess AFC would divide the teams in 3 groups of 5 teams. 6 lower ranked teams would play in the per-qualifier, out of which 3 would reach the main qualifier along with the other 12 teams. From each of the 3 groups, 2 teams qualify to the main tournament, while the best 3rd best team would also join them.

11. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I think there will be only 2 play offs, The winners will make up the 16 team qualification, top 2 from each group will go through to the finals..Similar to 2010 edition.

12. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    If thats the case then the pots should look like this
    Seeding
    Pot A
    * Turkmenistan
    * Philippines
    * Palestine

Pot B
    * Tajikistan
    * Nepal
    * India

Pot C
    * Kyrgyzstan
    * Afghanistan
    * Pakistan

Pot D
    * Myanmar
    * Sri Lanka
    * Chinese Taipei

Pot E (3 of these teams)
    * Macau
    * Mongolia
    * Laos
    * Guam
    * Brunei
    * North Mariana Island

13. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Only 7 teams will qualify, not 8. Maldive is already there.

The other way is to make 3 groups of 4 teams (top 2 qualify), and one group of 3 teams (top 1 qualifies).

14. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    If AFC do that it would be really unfair to the teams in the group of three teams

15. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    If there are 3 groups and the pots are based on rankings then the pots will look like this
    Pot A
    * Turkmenistan
    * Tajikistan
    * Philippines

Pot B
    * Palestine
    * Myanamar
    * Afghanistan

Pot C
    * India
    * Nepal
    * Chines taipei

Pot D
    * Laos
    * Pakistan
    * Guam

Pot E (3 of these teams)
    * Sri Lanka
    * Mongolia
    * Brunie
    * Macau
    * Kyrgyzstan
    * North Mariana Island (in fifa rankings)

16. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    well there is a total of 18 teams which need to be reduced to 16 teams for the qualifiers right? so i would say 2 play offs? to reduce to 16 teams, 4 groups of 4?

17. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Ok, speculations are over. The draw will be held on December 11. the national teams will be divided into five groups. The five winners of their groups, as well as the two best second teams will join Maldives. Laos, Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, Nepal and the Philippines will host the qualifying groups.

Source: website of Tajikistan Football Federation

druryfire repped this.
  18. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Tajikistan FA website did not mention playoffs ?

So it could be 3 groups of four and 2 groups of 3 ?

19. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
  20. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Unofficial reports suggested that Cambodia withdrew from the qualifiers.

My order of rankings
    Pot A:
    1- Philippines, 2-Myanmar, 3- Nepal, 4-Laos, 5- Kyrgyzstan
    Pot B:
    1- Turkmenistan, 2- Tajikistan, 3- Palestine, 4-India, 5-Afghanistan
    Pot C:
    1-Bangladesh, 2-Chinese Taipai, 3-Pakistan, 4-Sri Lanka, 5- Cambodia
    Pot D
    1- Macau, 2- Guam, 3-Mongolia, 4-Brunei, 5- Northern Mariana Islands

21. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Does the ranking in the pots determine which group they are in?

22. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I doubt it, it will all random, all the big teams minus Philippines are in the same pot so they cannot be drawn into the same group, which makes me convinced that we will see the likes of
    -Turkmenistan- Tajikistan- Philistine- Palestine- India- Maldives (host) all in the final in 2014. with the 2 spots remaining and based on the pots, Laos, Myanmar, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh I feel have a chance to qualify.

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    This means that the Philippines will have a good chance of being grouped with one of the strong teams from Pot B. With only the winner advancing from the group plus the 2 best second placed teams, there is a possibility that one of the better teams from the last edition of the Challenge Cup will not qualify.

24. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Корзина 1 (хозяева отборочных групп): Кыргызстан, Лаос, Мьянма, Непал, Филиппины.
    Корзина 2: Туркменистан, Палестина, ТАДЖИКИСТАН, Индия, Афганистан.
    Корзина 3: Пакистан, Бангладеш, Шри-Ланка, Китайский Тайбэй, Камбоджа.
    Корзина 4: Макао, Монголия, Бруней, Гуам, Северные Марианские острова.

http://www.fft.tj/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1826

Also confirmed by Tajikistan FA website.

Is Bangladesh and Cambodia back in the qualifiers ?

25. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Well, Cambodia did say they were out. Can't see why they would change their mind or see whats happened to make them change.

Bangladesh never said they were out, but never said they would be in. I expect they will be in though.