AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jitevra, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015 – FINAL DRAW
    Date:
    Wednesday, 26 March 2014
    Where: Sydney Opera House
    Who: Each of the 15 qualifying nation coaches
    Key Timings:
    6:20pm Cup arrives at Sydney Opera House
    6:25pm Cup handed to Brett Emerson on Sydney Opera House steps
    7:00pm Final Draw commences

Pot 1
    Australia, Iran, Japan, Uzbekistan
    Pot 2
    Korea Republic, UAE, Jordan, Saudi Arabia
    Pot 3
    Oman, China PR, Qatar, Iraq
    Pot 4
    Bahrain, Kuwait, Korea DPR, country TBC (AFC Challenge Cup winner)

Group A
    A1 (Asutralia)
    A2
    A3
    A4

Group B
    B1
    B2
    B3
    B4

Group C
    C1
    C2
    C3
    C4

Group D
    D1
    D2
    D3
    D4

2. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Postecoglou braced for another tough draw
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1185079/Postecoglou-braced-for-another-tough-draw

In unrelated but slighty related news: Postecoglou says he's planning a trip to Asia before he names his Brazil squad to assess the likes of Ryan McGowan, who plays in China, J-League player Mitch Nichols and Korean-based Luke DeVere, Alex Wilkinson and Robert Cornthwaite.

3. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I don't care who we get in the group stages tbh. If we're aiming for the cup, we will end up facing the toughest opponents anyway.

TigersOfAsia, heyheyhe11 and Seol Korea repped this.
  4. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The draw is on the 26th local time. So for us ppl in the states, when we wake up on Wednesday, we'll know the draw.

Let's hope we put ourselves in a great position. I remember back in 2011, we finished second in the group and had to face Iran in the quarters. While it was fun to see few Iranian members with their usual all-cap troll going silent after yoonbit scores. Playing extra 30 mins hurt us against Japan. I noticed we were much slow to the ball, slow to pressure the opponent. And I remember nagamoto just breezing pass by cha junior for Japan's equalizer.

Usually the team that scores a dramatic buzzer beating equalizer in the second period of extra time wins the shootout. That wasn't the case. And that Asian cup semi final lost against Japan really hurt. Because it was their fourth cup in very short period of time while we're stuck at two and trophy-less for very long time.

But we did won the bronze medal game against Japan in 2012. If you asked me which is more important?

The Asian cup, or Olympic bronze medal game.

I would say the Asian cup everyttime. I must admit for that time 2012 bronze medal game was more important. While nobody in the world paid attention to January Asian cup when everyone was more focused on their local league, everyone paid attention in the summer Olympic Games because every local league was on a summer break. And the Olympic in 2012 truly was the world stages and our 2012 Olympic team desperately needed the exemption.

And that exemption will set up nicely for our run in the World Cup plus the Asian cup. Let's hope we kick ass in both competitions.

5. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Tournament with exemption > Every other tournament, seriously

I don't really care much about the Asian cup since they took away exemption from it

6. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

I'd love to see a Japan-S.Korea-China-DPRK draw..

I know what I posted is a tough draw scenario but this tournament has no exemption matter, just bragging rights.

I'd rather see our Taeguk warriors being challenged in three entertaining Group Stage matches than to see our players not giving it their 100% in an easy Group Stage walkthrough

you can replace Japan with Australia/Iran + China with Iraq and I'd be just as excited

edkwolverines repped this.
  7. bozambreaker

bozambreaker Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The Asia cup draw to me really doesn't matter since at the very worst we should be expected to get out of the group no matter who we draw with.

Even without exemption though I think winning trophies still counts.

8. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

like i said bragging rights but I agree.

our minimum expectations are Group Stages (and depending on our 2014 WC Results) a win outside of the group stages.

I expect to go pretty far especialyl with the home-advantage support we'll get. Our group of Aussie gyopos + Australian native English teachers that taught/worked in Korea

9. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I have the feeling that we will face you guys. Hopefully we avoid you but if it happens prepare yourself for the group of death :D

hanul21 repped this.
  10. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    confed cup berth is huge and korea needs any trophies it can get.

11. korfan

korfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What's all this talk about it not being important???

Get out! Does England take the Euro lightly? Does Brazil take the Copa America lightly?

Yes there's no exemption but if we played only for exemption then that'd be just stupid.

We're playing to be called the champions of Asia, and to play in the Confeds.

I wouldn't mind it if Korea were the 'Champions of Asia'. Let's go do our best and try to get that title back in SOUTH Korea where it belongs.

As for the draw - I don't mind. You have to beat the best to be the best and we're going to end up playing Japan/Aussies/Iran at some point to win the title. Let's just see what happens, we can't lose the draw like we would at the WC.

12. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    What an Asian Cup winner looks like to the rest of the footballing world.
    [​IMG]

nmssis repped this.
  13. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That makes us Cartman.

[​IMG]

14. mike5th

mike5th Member

Mar 21, 2004
    People don't seem to realize that when you mock Asian competition, you are essentially mocking Korea given that Korea haven't won Asian Cup or Gold medal in Asian Games in so many decades.

15. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

I didn't say the tournament wasn't important. I said that the suggested draw I posted is tough and there's only bragging rights. maybe you understood me wrong when I said that there's only bragging rights.
    bragging rights to me literally means what it is. I have Japanese/Chinese/Australian/Persian friends who constantly bring up past wins over Korea (for example my Persian friends trash talk whenever I mention S.Korea soccer to them with the 1-0 win they had during qualifiers). beating them or winning the AC trophy gives me a reason to brag for however long I feel like. if you interpreted that as me not caring about the tournament I apologize for the misunderstanding

btw I love Korea and I get excited for ANY Asian tournaments (Asian Cup/Asian Games/Asian WCQ/Asian Champions League/etc) but national (continental) pride aside, you can't compare the Asian Cup to the Euros or Copa America.

16. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

plus my Japanese friends still hold this match over my head..
    I hope we have a rematch against them

17. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    They deserve it. A bunch of choking clowns.

18. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We've not sent full strength squads to the former very often, nor used ideal wild cards for the latter.

Similarly, the disappointment in the UK for losing to us in the Olympics paled to the fail of England NT at Euros.

19. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i wonder how the tournament woulda turned out if park ju young wasnt injured. it was when he was lighting it up with monaco

seoulman9 repped this.
  20. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  21. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I hope the matches at AAMI Park in Melbourne will be decent.

22. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    for those who will be awake still in a few hours

23. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I think the Asians don't view the Asian cup that much, it is just that they are involved in the rivalry between the countries, the biggest is definitely Japan-Korea.

24. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  25. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So many trolls in chat. Even the Admin for AFC YouTube page had to make a comment about the abusive comments haha.