News: AEG looking to sell share of Dynamo

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by madmatt621, Dec 14, 2011.

1. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AEG to looking to sell share of Dynamo

That was me - and I was wrong. At the time I knew that there are two separate entities (1) Houston Dynamo Stadium LLC and (2) Houston Dynamo Football Club LLC. Although I knew that AEG, Brenner and DeLaHoya own the team, I was not sure about the stadium.

At ERob's retirement bash, Chris Cannetti confirmed to me that the stadium is also owned by the three partners.

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the update.

4. DYNAMO_WARRIOR

Oct 31, 2006
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wouldn't it be four (4) Parites?
    What about Texas Southern University (TSU) they gave $5 Million and a lot of red tape pull. They help to convince the politicians that the BBVA Compass is not only going to be a Soccer field but also, American Football field for the university? i don't know exactly how the deal was, are they also part oweners of the stadium or the 5 Mil. was just a lease for whatever years of use... Anyone have any Info about this? Newtex yes I'm talking to you:D
    Anyone?

5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

While you are waiting on Newtex . . . TSU is a lessee not an owner. They essential pre-paid their lease.

6. DYNAMO_WARRIOR

Oct 31, 2006
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's all we wanted to know... thank You Troutseth. do you know for how long? Is it 5 yrs, $5 Mil?

Thank You Again!!

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Troutseth got the first part.

The TSU lease is $2.5 million for 20 years. Essentially nothing.

EDIT: I would have sworn it was $2.5 million but I do see some things saying $5 million. I'll see if I can find something more concrete to back that up.

8. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

$125,000 per year.

$250,000 per year.

edit: I wonder if they're planning to build their own stadium with what they're paying to play at the Compass.

edit2: What's wrong with THEIR stadium?

edit3: Or is there something I don't know...?

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Huh?

TSU doesn't have a stadium. They used to pay rent to the UofH, Reliant Stadium, and HISD to use their facilities for their home games.

How could they build a stadium with the money they are paying to play at Compass Stadium? That's money they are spending.

TSU will be playing at Compass Stadium for 20 years. Unless something changes.

10. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we're talking about the same TSU...Hmm...

I don't know the WHOLE story.

11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

Look at your satellite view on the link. It seats like 2,000 and is likely not NCAA compliant. That is probably practice field. I know NewTex is right, they have played all over town.

12. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh...didn't know.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

It's the same TSU. They do not use that stadium to play actual games.

Last year they played their home football games at Delmar and Butler Stadiums. Those are both HISD.

In 2010 they played their home games at those two and Reliant Stadium. In prior years they had also played at Robertson.

Not sure what other part of the story you are missing.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good info grab. Thanks. Although they may not all be equal partners, at least we know a sale of the team will likely include a sale of a portion of the stadium.

$100 that TSU can't make the first up-front payment but AEG lets them play there anyways, due to political reasons. I forgot the details but first they were going to make a $5M upfront capital contribution to the project but I'm sure they don't have that money, so it may just be a yearly lease payment.

TSU has had home games over on campus there. It may have been 15 years ago but they did have some games on campus a season or two against really, really weak opponents. They've played probably a ton of different places over the year.

15. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't follow TSU football.

16. DYNAMO_WARRIOR

Oct 31, 2006
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok. I did my research and found this article from H. Chronicle.
    http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Downtown-stadium-OK-d-for-Dynamo-1599732.php

It did not say for how long... but here is what it says:

Texas Southern University, which will play its football games at the new stadium, is expected to contribute $1.5 million toward construction. :confused:

17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why anyone is getting all shaken up over the TSU deal. It was a brilliant move on the Dynamo's part to bring them in, no matter how much (or little) they pay for rent. Their contribution to the stadium isn't monetary.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think anyone is shook up. A question came up about ownership/control of the stadium and whether or not TSU is involved. They are not.

And then some questions about TSU in general. No biggie.

19. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AEG to sell Dynamo stake?

Mods...please merge this with the main AEG to sell thread.

Thanks.

20. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or just stop posting in this thread and continue with the old thread.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Forbes has published a list of the richest folks in the world. All the billionaires.

I skimmed it for prospects to own the Dynamo. Our current owner Anschutz is pretty high up the list with a net worth of $7B.

This guy http://www.forbes.com/profile/carlos-alberto-sicupira/ seems like a great prospect. He owns a big hunk of Anheiser-Busch and Burger King. And he's Brasilero.

I wonder if we should write the guy a letter .... perhaps Anderson can get it done?

Of course, the number one richest dude is Mexican Carlos Slim Helu with an absurd $69 Billion in net worth. He could afford to own the Dynamo and buy DPs with a few days earnings.

Hey Rey -- can you call that Dude up? Text him or something.

22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

LOL! i'm on it. LOL!

Slim shady hasn't even invested (directly) in a local FMF club because he's no fool. he's that rich because he knows a football team is a black hole. :p

the guy on the list to call is Ricardo Salinas Pliego who owns TVAzteca which in turn owns Morelia or one of the Azcarraga's (Televisa/Club America/Atlante/San Luis/Necaxa). the Televisa owned clubs have always favorably "shared" players. of course, that would bring us back full circle to Club America USA (oxymoron?). i would say this, the Televisa congolmeratre is very AEGish. they would love to get their grubby little hands on a concert venue errrrr downtown soccer stadium.

23. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    i am willing to bet that once the stadium is complete and someone with money sees the atmosphere coupled with the consistent success record of our club,then we will see someone emerge.

when you add to the equation the great atmospheres that are being created league wide and the fact that last yr MLS avg attendance outdrew NHL and NBA ,its makes owning an MLS team look pretty inviting.

our league has nowhere to go but up. IIRC Don Garber made a comment that the NY2 ownership will pay 100 Million to joine the league . Last yr it was 40 mil for Vancouver. That tells me someting right there.

mls is rated the 10th best league in the world. If im a rich sporting type and looking to own or invest Im pretty much sold on MLS over anyother sports franchise in America save the big few Cowboys,Yankees etc...

24. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calm down, AEG runs about a million stadiums and arenas worldwide

25. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The right buyer would have to:
    • purchase the stadium at the same time as the team
    • have other related businesses that would benefit from owning a team and a stadium (e.g., company also owns a TV station, other team somewhere, promotes concerts or other sporting performances, etc).
    Otherwise, buying the Dynamo would be a terrible deal, and as Rey pointed out, nobody got rich by making bad investments!
    I am going to go out on a limb and predict an Asian buyer, somebody unexpected, Malaysia's Tony Fernandez or similar.