Rumor: AEG is trying to sell Dynamo?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by shoeless, Feb 20, 2014.

1. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I couldn't find one of the ownership threads.

So, Andy Mead is posting the Chivas sale press conference in that is a nugget:
    So, AEG is still trying to offload the Dynamo? Not sure who is answering the questions in the press conference, but I believe that it's an MLS person. Last I heard they were keeping everything intact.

2. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    from what i'm reading on Twitter it seems that Don is answering the Qs.

they aren't actively shopping the Dynamo, but i imagine if a credible offer came about they'd sell.

redinthemorning repped this.
  3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Calling all oil sheiks, and oligarchs.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  4. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Russians and Saudis can apply... LOL

ChrizG13, JC507 and Heft repped this.
  5. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes, actively try to sell the team. We need an owner that puts time and effort plus $$$. Someone that is competitive that is willing to lose some $$$ to beat all the other owners. Someone that will rebrand and change the Mickey Mouse logo that was produced in a couple days.

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Everyone complains about the job AEG/ownership is doing, but I can't wait until the team is sold and we see how new management does things. Maybe they have disagreements with Dom on how to run things and force him out? Maybe they are even less interested in bringing in DP's?

With the Dan Snyder's, Jerry Jones', and Jim Buss's of the world, new ownership does not always equate to better ownership.

7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    AEG has done well for the Dynamo. I hope the future owner is as good, or better for the City of Houston. Houston deserves a good club.

redinthemorning and Soccergodlss repped this.
  8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah didn't AEG come out in 2012 saying we weren't for sale?

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I wish Carlos Slim would look us up.

MannieG repped this.
  10. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah because he's done wonders for Pachuca. [/sarcasm]

11. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Bump: Some of you have probably already seen this but since it's not posted...

@thegoalkeeper: .@thesoccerdon with news about Phil Anschutz: "Wel'l announce soon the sale" of the Houston Dynamo.

@thegoalkeeper: I wasn't about to guess that AEG was selling the Galaxy. So. Let's make that clear - Garber didn't directly say Houston, I concluded it.

I'm gonna guess it's Les Alexander or Gabriel Brener.

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo position is this is the same thing as last year when Garber said the intention is to get AEG down to one team. Saying no actual progress in that direction.

13. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the Galaxy being bounced out of the playoffs, I believe that AEG will probably put the Gals up on the auction block and devote all their love to the Dynamo.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  14. DeuceFive

DeuceFive Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That would only be a horrible idea if they were losing money on the Gals and gave up just to come here to stay cheap and selectively pick apart our hearts with barely good enough players. Wait.....ah chit!!! Lol

Hydro repped this.
  15. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that if we are sold that the next owner is gentle, loving and puts out often.... wait this is not my next wife lol, but I guess it works the same.

CeltTexan repped this.
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon follows up on childhood dream back in Nigeria of one day owning his own first division pro association football club. Purchases Houston Dynamo in 2015!
    One can DREAM can't I!!!
    It would be cool to be owned by not so much a deep pocketed Saudi Oil Mafia but by a man, and perhaps his crew of financial backers I must conclude, but by a man that grew up playing pick up soccer! A man that really cherishes all that is special about the beautiful game.
    I recall Dream heading up to the Nigeria vs. Bulgaria Group match up at the Cotton Bowl there in USA'94 between games of Rockets vs. Knicks NBA Finals that same Summer.

17. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    AEG finally hopefully selling makes me tremendously happy. Now just need to keep crossing fingers that the new owner is decent and also dumps Canetti as quickly as possible . . .

Hydro, CeltTexan and ei1marti repped this.
  18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You're assuming the buyer is a new owner. I'd say odds of that are fairly slim.

The_Ponce repped this.
  19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was hoping that Carlos Slim would be the one.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  20. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't tell anyone, but it's going to be a group of musicians from the area including Beyonce, Billy Gibbons, Bun B, & Lyle Lovett.

CeltTexan repped this.
  21. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wake me up when the nightmare is over. Do we have owners who care about Houston, don't treat us like the undesirable stepchild, and don't already own another team they are committed to make the best team in the world?

22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I have never really had a problem with AEG per se - just with the conflict of interest of them owning two teams. For instance, did the Houston Dynamo put a competitive bid together for Gio? If not, why not? They only tried to acquire Gio for years during Dom's tenure. The absolute worse case scenario is that the new owner only acquires AEG's portion of Dynamo. They would be straddled with a disinterested co-owner (Delastockings) who has been an impediment to transactions to advance the team in the past and not have the financial power of an AEG to move the organization forward at times.

23. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several Points come to mind:
    • De La Hoya ended his partnership with AEG and Brener as he bought out their stake in Golden Boy in 2014.
    • Brener sold his 74M estate in the LA also in 2014
    • Brener is a billionaire.
    • AEG has this on/off sale going on so it would be best to sell and use that money to boost up their other investments as they don't even fully own this one.
    • AEG is also under I imagine a bit of pressure from MLS to sell their part of the Dynamo.
    Brener and his company are an investment group. With the money from his house and his equity share from Golden Boy I think he is probably looking to re-invest. What better place to invest than his own team who coincidentally is being shopped around by his business partner. I doubt DeLa sells his share but at least the majority will be Brener.

Now I have no idea if this is a good thing - Brener has always been really quiet with the team and I doubt that changes. Owning a team in a blooming league is definitely not a bad place to put your money but I doubt he cares enough to fire Cannetti and look for a new coach, new players etc etc. As long as the team is bringing in money or breaking even his investment is safe and he won't care about how the team is doing. My 2 cents.

CeltTexan repped this.
  24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Soccer teams are terrible investments, and I hope we stay clear of ownership groups that are looking to make money within the next 5 years.

*rey* repped this.
  25. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'm going outside the box and say this guy will own our Dynamo.

[​IMG]

Hey he might do a better job than De La Hoya plus Mayweather can bring some boxing fights here in BBVA stadium unlike what the "Golden Boy" did.

CeltTexan and Heft repped this.