Advice for new hattrick players

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by kopiteinkc, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revsfan21

revsfan21 New Member

May 20, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Oh crap. I just scwrewed up really bad. I accidentally bought this player for
    170002$.Johan Lewling (38182458)
    18 years, inadequate form, healthy
    A controversial person who is balanced and righteous.
    Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities.

Nationality: Sverige
    Total Skill Index (TSI): 370
    Wage: 696 US$/week including 20% Bonus
    Owner: revsfan21
    Warnings: 0

Stamina: weak Goaltending: disastrous
    Playmaking: weak Passing: poor
    Winger: passable Defending: inadequate
    Scoring: poor Set Pieces: poor
    My economy is at -51,734. How much should i sell this guy for??!?!??!

2. puddleduck

puddleduck Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Providence, RI
    Ouch. But not the end of the world. I looked at your team and it looks like you've been doing the right things: you got a passable trainer and bought trainies.

So this hurts for now ... but a season or two done the road when you're selling your trainies this hit won't seem like much compared to the riches you'll be pulling in.

In the short term you want to make sure you don't go too far into debt: sell an older solid player if you can. That should take care of the short term. And cut your youth squad investement ... its just a gamble anyway.

In the long run: Stick to your training and you'll be fine.

3. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can I ask what age and stats you buy the keepers? And what stats they tend to have when they're sold?

4. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My last two trainees have been 18/mid-solids (bought for $180k and $275k, respectively, paying more for the latter because I wanted a USA player). I can get them to magnificent or world class in two seasons with a solid coach. Magnificent used to go for ~4.5 million US$, for a take-home of ~4 million, but that may have gone down of late.

If I could get 18 or 19 year old formidable-outstanding keepers, I could get an even better rate of income, since previous training would have already burned the inefficiencies bridging from solid to formidable.

5. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    What do you mean by this?

6. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'd assume the amount of time it takes to get a keeper from solid -> excellent -> formidable is quite a long time.

I know I have two keepers that should pop to excellent within the next 4-5 games, and I do wonder what the inefficiency is between now and payd--...er..I mean formidable. :D

7. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Craig could answer training times for keepers better than I could but assuming solid coach, 4-5 weeks and 17 years old. Think 5 -6 weeks for payday, I mean formidable :) And an additional week for each level of coach below solid.

8. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Basically what he means, I think, is this.

Buying a solid keeper for, for example, 200K and selling at 1 mil for formidable in 10 weeks. Profit=800K.

Buy a formidable keeper at 1 mil, train for 10 weeks to brilliant and sell for 4 million. Profit=3 mil.

The numbers are my examples. I don't really have that good a grasp of keeper selling prices but the concept stands. Starting with a higher ability score will result in a higher profit for the same length of time.

9. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's exactly the idea. Suppose you start with a passable (not high), the price progression goes something like this (possibly a bit down right now):

passable = 50k
    solid = 180k
    excellent = 600k
    formidable = 1.4M
    outstanding = 2.5M
    brilliant = 3.5M
    magnificent = 4.5M
    (and so on)

It takes the same amount of time to train from solid to excellent as it does from formidable to outstanding, but you get 420k payoff for the former and ~1 million payoff for the latter. Consequently, if you're willing to invest more in your trainees, you get more income by starting at a higher level.

The opportunity cost for starting with higher-level trainees is that you tie up money that could be used to improve your club (providing more wins and thus more crowd revenue). Plus, those trainees may not be all that easy to find.

10. Lone Star

Lone Star Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Pizza Hut Park
    I went shopping over the weekend, and bought a 20 yo World Class keeper for $4.5 million. It amazed me since I ended up paying over $6 million for only a Magnificent keeper 5-6 seasons ago. And he was really the only one out there to choose from. The other day there were tons of upper echelon keepers out there.

Have the ranks of keeper trainers swelled over the past few seasons?

Panther City FC
    II.3 - USA

11. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Coaching Change?

45 years, wretched form, healthy
    A passable trainer who is fond of attacking
    A pleasant guy who is fiery and upright.
    Has solid experience and wretched leadership abilities.

I can only afford to puchase a poor leadership coach with passable training. Should I wait for my current guy to drop to disasterous leadership before I buy, or go for a new guy right now?

12. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Do you need the leadership for your series soon? With the guy you have now, any pics aren't relly going to help your TS. If you're not planning on doing a lot of picing, then stick with him and use the money elsewhere/save up to buy a solid/solid coach.

13. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I really don't think the ranks of keeper trainers have swelled that significantly. I can think of a couple of possibilities that might explain the pricing. First, the general collapse in market prices (and since it's occurring across most primary skills, it's not as big of an issue as it might seem). Second, if there was a significant uptick in keeper trainers a season or two ago, we may be seeing a little bit of market saturation around the magnificent to world class range with demand edging up into even more skilled players.

I have no intention of letting my current world class trainee go for as little as $4.5 million, but since I'm already looking at holding onto him for another pop (unless I pull a 17/solid), that problem may be resolved by selling him at the next level (titanic?).

14. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    It must have something to do with the statement made by the HT's that keepers' influence on defence will slightly (very slightly) decrease. Many people must have overreacted to that, resulting in a decline in keeper prices.

When I read that statement, it really pissed me off. I just bought a formidable keeper for $1.4 mil (which was actually cheap back then), who's current worth is about $1 or $1.2 mil...

15. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Played a friendly yesterday and went from winning 5-0 to losing 5-6. Is there anything I can gather from that other that stamina is probably an issue? I just came off of a stamina training session too. Weird

16. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    The other team could have been much better. Do you have a match id?

17. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Didn't seem better, some div VIII spanish team. 5-0 after 54 minutes and then the wheels fell off.

29756203 was the match ID

18. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    I think the big thing to notice was the 8% swing in possession. That means your stamina was less than his. From your post, I'm guessing you already knew that.

One thing I did notice is a huge difference in your central defense and his central attack. 3 of his goals came from the center and one was an inexperience event. The others came in from the right. He just some better strikers. I wouldn't worry about it. It was only a friendly.

19. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    No biggie, just seemed like it played out in an odd way and that's why I asked about it

20. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    You can't always draw conlcusions from this kind of results.

The Hattrick matchengine might work a little different than you think. Fifteen minutes before the match starts, the outcome is calculated using the teams' ratings. After that, the goals are awarded randomly to their respective minutes.
    In other words: it could just as well have been 0-6 after 45 minutes, after which you'd have come back to 5-6 :)

21. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Where is the conference area to post for friendlies? How do you join it? Is it me or searching for conferences is a bit complicated

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under the community sub category on the right, there are 4 categories, mail box, federations, community, conferences

Under the conferences section, there should be a sneak-peek link, and an ads link, click on the ads link. Once there, there will be a small drop down screen to go to either friendly ads, or transfer ads, go to the friendly ads, and post the kind of friendly you are looking for.

23. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Yes.

24. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that's an accurate characterization, considering that the engine does allow for time evolution of ratings due to stamina, players sent off or injured, confusion, weather events, and team experience events.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Question... should i play a passable striker with passable form over a solid striker with inad form?

Also... had a trainee pop to formidable.. he has crappy secondaries should I keep him or sell him... he is 21 and is an IM thoughts? I would not find it too hard to replace him with someone off the bench. How much could i expect to get for him? he has passable stam. and wretched/poor everything else