Adu vs Rogers ....Check out time is here now

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by whip, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That's a bit extreme, don't you think? I mean, she didn't pick them. Or did she? I'm so lost

2. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Agreed on all counts.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't see the point of the comparison.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rogers is a fast, powerful classic winger who beats people wide with speed & skill, and who makes crosses. Adu is a quick small finesse player who does most of his damage by pinching inwards, in more of a #10 type role.

If you want to make the argument that Adu was overhyped and overpaid compared to Rogers, yeah OK, but Adue was overhyped and overpaid compared to any halfway successful young U.S. player, not just Robbie.

4. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Unadvertedly we have gauge USA soccer media and their work or should we said the lack of it .:rolleyes:

5. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I need a price check before I check out. It might sway me if either were on Rollback special. And frankly, it's not a matter of one or the other. It's a matter of meat and potatoes. At the moment, our cup doth not runneth over with meat. And so, if we're at the dinner table of the full team, Adu is the most welcome addition.

6. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mmm meat smoothie
    [​IMG]

7. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    With Roger on the left and Freddy on the right they better get some baseline :D

8. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    There certainly was a time when Freddy Adu was overhyped and he underperformed due to unrealistic expectations, his age, playing out of position, etc. Whip, If you have been paying attention since last summer you would know that this is no longer the case.

Adu now just about carries our U20 and U23 teams single-handedly, and has been a spark for the senior Nats. He was bought by a major European club and has performed well and scored meaningful goals for them in limited duty. We all like Robbie Rogers, but he has had nowhere near that kind of impact.

You need to get off this comparison. It is false.

Oh, and Wayne Rooney has scored 18 goals for the best team in the world this season. Just thought I'd point that out...

9. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USA is really fortunate to have two really talented youngsters we can argue about. Actually you can add a bunch of other youngters to that list (Altidore, Bradley etc. etc.).

10. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers is a left winger and Freddy is more of a attacking mid/second striker, so I don't see them competing for a spot in the future too often. Nice to see Rogers developing and he's a good young player, but Adu was, is, and will probably continue to be the more exciting. No need to choose when we get to have them both.

If Novak fails to take either Rogers or Alvarez to the Olympics, and I really think he should take both, he should automatically lose his job as U-23 coach.

11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was an enjoyably irrational thread until you tried to ruin it...

12. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States