Adu vs Rogers ....Check out time is here now

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by whip, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, 6 goals and 1 assist in 12 games

as a midfielder

4. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rogers and Adu play(ed) midfield and forward in MLS... Rogers brace last year against DC united was with him up top

6. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You would have to be puss to leave the Eredivisie for the MLS as an 18 or 19 year old...assuming that you take the sport seriously and want to bring the cup back to the States.

I commend Freddy for sticking it out while Chalana leaves him at the training ground on match day, because I know he'll break the starting eleven next season.

We should ask Robbie why he knew he wouldn't.

7. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear that we have a Benfica insider posting here.

And how can you judge Rogers for not being ready to live on his own in Europe? Being 19 myself, I know that I would have a beast of a time living in a foreign land, different culture, different language. He was just a kid. When he's ready and willing, he'll make the jump back over.

8. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Not an insider, just an optimist.

As for being a kid, since we're comparing three of them, I bet Freddy had a beast of a time moving to the US at such a young age and going pro at 14. Robbie even had Michael Bradley to show him the ropes.

This makes it easy to judge the kid. I guess your right though. When he's able, he'll make the jump back over.

9. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure the Crew is gald he came back to the states. As for Freddy, he never could do anything while he was in the MLS. It was a smart move for him to make the jump to Europe although he picked the wrong team to play for obviously. Without at least a reserve system he must be losing his game sharpness.

10. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I consider myself an optimist, so I'm we're in the same camp. There don't seem to be enough of us nowadays. I too hope Freddy will start next year.

Freddy's family came over with him though, which helps a lot. But you're right, Bradley was there. Bradley was raised in a professional environment (being around the Fire and the NewMedowlands MetroBulls growing up), so I think he was more mature that Rogers was.

I just think "puss" is far from the right word to use to describe Rogers.

11. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    To be honest, I have been a big fan of Rogers since his 'veen days. I've enjoyed his game, which can't be said about many players. He's definitely not a puss on the field, I'll give him that.

I just wish that players of his caliber would do what the rest of the world does: Leave the domestic league, and establish himself at a higher level.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    except score 5 goals as a 14 year old, win a MLS cup, be a 2 time All Star.. score 11 goals before the age of 18... but he did nothing in MLS :rolleyes:

13. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you know, Freddy was 22 years old and completely physically developed since he was born.

14. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    lol Fredua has you Westerners fooled. I have to repsect the brother and his family for their hustle though.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I think Adu is a terrific player; probably better than Rogers.

But Rogers is a better MLS player than Adu was. Yeah, Adu got a lot of accolades, but many of them were undeserved (2004 All-Star? C'mon). Rogers is scoring goals at a much higher rate than Freddy did, and is on pace to eclipse Adu's career MLS goal total by the end of this season... in one-third the number of games. In fact, he could score more goals this season (on pace) than Adu did in his entire 3.5 year MLS career. He's the most aggressive attacking player on the best team in MLS right now, and he's putting in the defensive work. He's currently leading the league in shots and game-winning goals, and 2nd in shots on goal.

Yeah, Rogers is older; that helps. But he's also pretty damn good. He's been a positive influence in most Crew games this year (I can only remember one bad performance out of 6 games so far).

I think whip is crazy, but so is the idea that Rogers is chopped liver. I think it's indisputable that - so far - he's a more influential player in MLS than Adu was.

16. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    see... this is fair...

and if others have read my posts... I think Rogers' talent is right at the level of Adu and Altidore... he is a BIG time talent... and Rogers may eventually be better in MLS than Adu was... I have no issues saying that... but their situations were different... Adu played with one of MLS' all time greats (Moreno), the MVP (Gomez), and other high quality players... on what is arguably the most talented team in MLS the past 4 years... the Crew is not exactly on that level... not dissing Rogers, but it isnt... and Adu is a lot younger than Rogers (which you pointed out)...

in the end, these two guys are not in competition... not going against each other for the same position... and they are two supremely talented players... lets celebrate them

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call for the radical notion of playing them BOTH in the olympics at the same time :)

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rogers doesn't make the team, Novak should be committed.

20. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    But you seem to be discounting the fact that Adu is 2 years younger than Rogers.

You can't really compare their MLS careers. Adu was in MLS from 15 to 18, Rogers from 18 onward. You have to compare them at the same point in their careers. Adu at 18, Rogers at 18. Rogers at 18 was playing far less at Heerenveen than Adu at 18 for Benfica.

21. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino

The reality is Freddy and Robbie are friends off the field, have mutual respect for each other and enjoy playing together.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    mentioned this in previous posts

great

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's entirely too radical. Nowak would never allow that much talent on the field at the same time. His head would explode. I think he'll probably tell Adu and Rogers to stay home just so he's not faced with that predicament. I for one am looking forward to seeing a Summer Olympics full of Chad Barett and Charlie Davies. They both have way better resumes than either of those guys...

24. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Adu is a better player overall

Rogers has had more impact in MLS

Rogers played/plays in MLS at an older age than Adu

Freddy has done more in Europe than Rogers has

Plusses and minuses for them both.

Those seem to be the facts. In the end...I'll take them both on the US Youth teams in different roles (Rogers as a wing player, Adu as a central player either attacking mid or second forward).

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i concur....

If Charlie Davies or Chad Barrett are on this roster im going to roundhouse my grandmother in the face.