Adobe "were bigger then you"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by zverskiy yobar, Apr 18, 2005.

1. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
  2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Microsoft
    2. Oracle
    3. Siebel
    4. ?
    5. ?

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adobe is not at all like Microsoft and Oracle...it has good Help and Tech service and its experience with exclusive professional software; i.e., Photoshop and Illustrator, as well as Acrobat, makes it THE software company of the future...Macromedia is a good fit with Adobe...since Macromedia had crappy Tech Support, this is good news for multimedia developers and the Mac communnity, as well as the PC/Wintel crowd.

5. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    I agree Adobe currently is a great company.Its just you never know with mergers, one thing that nearly always go to pot in these deals is customer service, not saying Adobe will initially act like asses.. but what may be the product of handling the merger may end up in to a cocky attitude of "were the only guys in town" .It happens, hopefully this merger wont take on that aura.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    the main difference between Adobe and MS is that MS OWNS the platform basically. If you want a PC, and you want a large amount of third party as well as built-in SW for it, you have little choice, Windows is the only real option, especially if you have a need to network the systems together.

Oracle, they just don't have any real competition in large scale DB products.

Adobe is SW that installs on several platforms and provides a need that the OS (ie MS) doesn't have. They have little choice but to have good support because other products are there to replace them if they slip up, including MS products which integrate in with Windows.

This is a good merger.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Computer Associates has to be in the top five for software companies, right? In fact, I thought that they were number two to Microsoft a few years ago.

8. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried. Adobe's flagship products are Photoshop and Acrobat writer, thick client, desktop applications. Macromedia's flagship products are Flash and Dreamweaver, tools used for web sites and web applications. Thus, they are not really direct competitors. The main thing, however, they have in common is that their products are fully cross platform - they all run on Windows, Mac, Unix, Linux, BSD, and others.

The combination should be pretty strong, and if anything Microsoft should be worried because a strong supplier a good cross platform products reduces the relevence of the MS Windows monopoly.

All that said, I'm not a fan of mergers or take-overs. The end result usually sucks for both employees and customers. CEOs, board members, and many share holders always benefit. But customers and employees always get screwed, at least in the short term.