Adidas Thread [12] - Post info, pics & questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay, here are some pictures as promised.

[​IMG]

The fit at the back of the heel looks loose, but it actually feels like your foot is locked really tightly into place, which is what I love.

[​IMG]

The colourway itself looks absolutely superb. I wasn't a huge fan of the design when I first saw it, but it seems to really work now. Looks great.

[​IMG]

It's worth bearing in mind, as mentioned earlier, the upper is really surprisingly soft. While it isn't as soft as a Vapor VIII/IX, or a broken in Maestri III, it's soft while also retaining that stiffness (partly through the internal sprintweb) that helps when pushing off laterally.

[​IMG]

The soleplate obviously is identical. It seems quite stiff though, not sure if this is normal of adiZeros now... Won't be a problem when they've been worn for a while though!

[​IMG]

My aim for this picture was to show how narrow the heel, and the boot itself, is. It is really figure hugging so to speak, and fits my foot perfectly. Wider footed people may struggle 'a little' but I think adidas have really nailed it this time.

[​IMG]

My only criticism of the boot so far is this harsh transition. As you can see, the black part of the 'sprintskin' is ridged, and feels really good. Then it transcends to this strange, cheap feeling plastic for the heel area. It actually squeaks when you rub it.

So far, I'm hugely impressed. The boot feels great when kicking a ball about, one of the best fitting synthetics adidas have produced, feels so, so light on your foot it's untrue, and is super comfortable! I'd suggest if you're looking at the Vapor IX, to instead look at this adiZero. I suspect many people will get drawn up with the Vapor hype, when an excellent boot like this is being ignored. It won't be for everyone, but for all adiZero fans, it's (in my opinion) the best one so far.

P.S. Apologies for the huge pictures.

FootySpy, Footballer-7, holden and 3 others repped this.
  2. tilburysoccer

tilburysoccer Member

Sep 16, 2009
    KCMO
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    they look like american football cleats to me, just slightly less bulky. I can't get over it.

ejgrownarseman repped this.
  3. rooster

rooster Member

Dec 16, 2003
    They look amazing. That colourway is really nice!

4. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I had that impression at first. They feel great though.

5. Dog7

Dog7 Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Jon, how do the adizeros compare to the vapor viii in terms of fit and feel? And also performance? I love my retro and orange vapors and find then really comfortable whilst also surprisingly superb to play in, I'd go as far as to say, my best boots ever (coming from a loyal hardcore predator wearer, and one time vapor hater!)
    I've been intrigued by the latest adizeros, but when I see them in the shop they feel too light, and the upper as if it wouldn't be comfortable or good to play in. Although one only ever felt in my hands and not on my feet...

6. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I prefer the adiZeros in terms of fit, feel and performance. I have both on my feet right now, UK8.

The Vapor VIIIs feel slightly narrower around the mid-foot. The adiZeros kind of follow the foot shape very closely, they aren't tight.. But they have little excess material around your foot, so it fits tightly, without feeling narrow. The Vapor VIII of course has a slightly longer toe, which in my opinion, leads to a slightly clumsy touch on the ball. The adiZeros fit perfectly in terms of length. My toes go right to the end.

In terms of feel. It's tough. I'd say the adiZeros definitely feel bare foot, while the Vapor VIII is slightly thicker. Only just though. Having had only a brief kick around with my adiZeros, I don't want to jump to conclusions. But the upper on the adiZeros feels responsive, almost like it's part of your foot. The Vapor VIII doesn't feel the same, you'll know how it feels though as you have a pair. The two pairs feel vastly different. I personally am not a huge fan of the Vapor VIIIs, gone off them to be honest, and the adiZeros feel better to me.

Performance. I don't like talking about this, as it's usually down to you as an individual. But SO FAR the adiZeros just top it. As you say, they just feel ridiculously light weight. And dribbling, striking the ball, running.. All feels superb. The Vapor VIII are also unbelievably lightweight.. But feel different. I'm really struggling to put it into words, but if you're a fan of the Vapors, then I really recommend you take a look at the new adiZeros. Don't be put off by the 'too light' bit, once you try it you'll fall in love if you're a Vapor fan.

7. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They definately look better in synthetic. That colourway looks really smart. Have they done anything about the quality of the insoles?

appleCORR

8. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Funny you should mention that. The lightweight insoles have a different covering on them that feels a bit more suede like. Its not a huge difference.. But comparing it to Micoach adizeros and its improved, if only slightly.

9. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure on these..
    [​IMG]

SilverXX and rooster repped this.
  10. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Adidas have always failed in the insole department with the F50/Adizero lines. None of them have been any good not even when you could change your insole with about 3 different options with the tunits. It's fair enough if you want to use the super light insole but if you dont the comfort option should at least be that - comfy!

appleCORR

gwood88 repped this.
  11. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For some reason, it may have been the overall fit but the other f50 (f50. series) cramped my feet up really bad,

but you can just buy some insoles elsewhere like the asics ones i guess

12. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    White sole plate ruins it! Why not just stay black!

13. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its pretty much the identical colourway to my adiZeros lol.

Footballer-7 repped this.
  14. neaghee

neaghee Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have what I think may be a unique problem. Got some Copas several weeks back and it's half size too small. I have been hearing for some time now that they stretch a good amount. Problem is, after playing in them nearly a month now, they haven't stretched one bit! Am I missing something? I highly doubt I will have to subject my copas (of all boots) to the hot water trick! lol

15. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda dig them....

16. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Total throw back to the 70's and players like Paul Breitner.....I dig them.

rooster repped this.
  17. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm guessing that the yellow/pink/black LZs are out at the start of March?

appleCORR

18. Enxienty

Enxienty Member

Jul 29, 2008
    back to my original theory about adizero soleplate and knee injuries anyone see militos freak injury

19. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Those black/green/white ones up top aren't too bad. Definite retro look. Reminds me of Beckenbauer, probably because of the green.

Bloody awful knee bend. That's how I feel like, when I am playing on turf, or playing any football these days.

b0sk1 repped this.
  20. dermolo

dermolo New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle
    I haven't seen too many injuries like this one from adizero wearers, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. Mind re-stating your theory?

21. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I still say correlation vs. causation....the sheer number of players in the boot is going to make it look like more injuries are being "caused" by them when in fact it is that the injuries are occurring pretty regularly no matter what boots are being used.

I would suspect more of it has to do with overtraining, not enough recovery, and ground conditions before the soleplate. The adiZero plate allows for rotation in my experience vs. blades which do not and actually can cause injury.

22. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I just watched the video...that was all on his plant. He was not balanced when he planted and his knee shifted. I don't think any boot would have prevented that. I would bet his gait was off because of his previous injury. That brings it back to the recovery point I made in my last post.

Brought back memories of the bad sort....did that same type of buckle the first time the knee went on a bad landing. Good luck on the recovery.

23. tilburysoccer

tilburysoccer Member

Sep 16, 2009
    KCMO
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It could have been worse...knees are not designed for side bend as Milito has demonstrated.

24. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Adidas outlet near me finally has some worthwhile boots. Old Adizero in leather and synthetic for $99, in white/yellow and whiteout respectively. LZ in blue for $99. And 11pro in blue for $99. The 11pro is tempting but the blue is probably the least appealing colorway to me, which is odd since blue is my favorite color (although not necessarily for boots).