ACC Armageddon (Round 1?)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by padgman1, Oct 15, 2012.

1. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordon Cyrus has been playing excellent....no worries

2. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Cyrus would be a gigantic drop-off at LB were something to happen to Ambrose. Couple that with Saint Cyr filling in at RB and that quality of the outside backs would drop.

3. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SO. Tournament time is approaching. As of today, four seeds are locked in:

#1 Maryland, #2 UNC, and NC State & Virginia Tech will finish in some combination of 8th and 9th.

Here's the list of Thursday's conference matches with conference points in parentheses:
    Maryland (19) @ Wake Forest (12)
    Virginia Tech (1) @ Clemson (9)
    Boston College (12) @ North Carolina (16)
    Virginia (7) @ NC State (3)

Duke's conference slate is completed with 10 points from 3-4-1. The best they can do is 5th in conference (where they are now), the worst they can do is 7th (if Clemson and Virginia both win).

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    ok....

so who knows the tie breakers for ACC tournament seeds?

very good chance it all ends up with

Wake / BC / Clemson all could finish with 3-2-3 records and 12 pts.

Wake has loss to BC, tie with Clemson, if outcome with top of table is in play Wake has tie with UNC and plays MD thur

BC has tie with Clemson and win over Wake, loss to MD and plays UNC Thur

Clemson has tie with Wake and BS and lost to UNC tie with MD and plays VT Thur

5. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that if Wake, BC, and Clemson all finished on 12 points a three-way tiebreaker between just those schools would be used?

If that's the case, then spots 3-5 would shake out like this:
    3. Boston College (def. Wake, drew Clemson)
    4. Clemson (drew BC, drew Wake)
    5. Wake Forest (drew Clemson, lost to BC)

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nice call.

7. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Not so good a call

8. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if there is something wrong with Madison at UVA? He looked slow last night and was getting up off the ground it looked like awkwardly. Is he injured? Perhaps an ankle?

9. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. not so much.. WF was able to beat the team that already clinched the ACC and is looking forward to the tourney.. My bad.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, he looked OK when he scored the game-winning goal!

11. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Yeah....especially since looking forward to the tourney served them well last year...

12. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. A terrible defensive mistake. But even then he didn't have any explosiveness. It was good he found the back of the net. He's struggled with that this year.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm not buying that.

Maryland had too many reasons not to tank yesterday.

Going undefeated is a rare and special thing, both in the ACC and for the season. They had a chance to be among the all-time great single-season teams if they went undefeated. You just don't give that up because you've clinched the top seed.

Second, this team is coming off a couple of poor games. They need to turn it around to have good mojo going into the games that count. When you're playing badly, you don't have the luxury of tanking, especially when you play for a task-master like Cirovski and are coming off a game where you blew a two-goal lead.

Third, as others have noted, we've seen this movie last year. Great start, peter down the stretch despite an abundance of talent, season ends without a trip to the Final Four or an ACC Tournament title. That's not something they want to repeat and to do so, they need to start playing well again and when you're trying to start playing well, you don't get to not take seriously a conference road game against a ranked opponent.

14. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats ok...you don't have to...I could never be as in depth or knowledgable as the once and mighty Sandon....My perspective on this team is different than yours...

Not denying it was a poor result for a tslented team...Just not ready to get off the bus yet.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There's no need to get snarky just because we disagree.

16. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your sarcasm....even if it was unintentional....they sell pieces of glass at the store with silver backing...might go check that out

17. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...’s-college-soccer-tournament-preview_aid27939
    So Top Drawer released their preview for the ACC tournament. I think the writer made some good points, but two things I don't agree with:
    1. I think Clemson is riding some momentum and will take out Boston College (plus Clemson knows it needs at least 2 wins and 0 losses from the tournament to qualify for the NCAAs. I don't think the Tigers will get there, but they have more to play for than BC, who should get in)
    2. Top Drawer's semifinal predictions, mainly because the bracket crosses over itself (the writer has Maryland defeating Wake and UNC defeating Boston College)

18. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    IMO, the match to watch in the QFs is Duke-North Carolina. The Blue Devils have finally climbed above .500 and have an RPI around 50 and needs a couple of wins to have any shot at an at-large bid while UNC is trying to boost their RPI high enough to get a Top Four seed, which they'll likely need to make the ACC final to accomplish.

EDIT: Duke is 42 in the latest RPI. A win over UNC will give them a boost into the 30s, which puts them in good shape for an at-large.

20. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Yeah the Top Soccer Drawer writer just didn't look at the bracket too close

21. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    VT beats NCSU 3-2 for 1st ACC win this yr. Next up Maryland

22. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    The NC State meltdown is amazing. Undefeated and highly ranked to losing in the play-in game.

23. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Their goals by half are basically carbon copy of their season
    1st half: GF-18 GA-5
    2nd half: GF-13 GA-17

24. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like NC State in {insert sport here}.

gsterp, JoeSoccerFan and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.