Fulhamerica: the Ream Continues [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Dream Ream in Bolton: Tim

What a terrible name for a thread. These thread names are getting out of control

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

Bigsoccer Got Reamed: Tim3 @ Bolton.

3. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Re: A Wanderful Ream Has Come True: Tim Ream @ Bolton

I think Ream will develop nicely. I'm just going by a hunch. As some things are really starting to come around for Bolton.

I DO think the transfer going through is the best thing for Ream. Maybe it's because I have seen a few yanks in recent years really struggle in MLS after potential transfers fall through

4. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Coyle: I have a D Ream- Tim Ream at Bolton

5. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

I've almost finished my time machine, at which point, performances from two seasons ago will be equally relevant to performances this season.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Excellent thread title

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007

"Tim Ream at Bolton thread"

8. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland

Bolt-on: Get ready for your Ream-ing

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I thought it was relevant to the general statement "I don't see the quality" - although probably what he meant was "I don't see the PL level quality" which is fair enough. I don't think his second season was as bad others do, I just pointed to the first season where his quality was pretty hard to miss.

10. Tardis

Tardis New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

I don't think he has the skill to play in the EPL but I will be cheering him on regardless.

11. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

IMO Ream struggles were slightly overblown this year based off of the lofty expectations many here had for him. Now don't get me wrong, Ream DID struggle and was nowhere near the level of his rookie year, but so many people had such high expectations (especially on this board) that there was no way he'd live up to that.

12. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought there was some very good analysis by a few Red Bull fans which pointed to the fact that Ream was swept up in a current of mediocrity at New York. You could argue that environment may have contributed to his National outings. Obviously he had a few mistakes during his MNT caps, but in a time of transition (for club and country) is that unheard of?

I don't think so, IMO.

It will be nice if he 'gets stuck in' at Bolton and participates in a resurgence to safety. They certainly have better players than a few other teams near the drop.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After the money they spent on him he definitely is going to be given a chance.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you suggesting that Coyle and Stewart are gay?
    (Bean =/= Beane)

15. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004

Yeah, roughly 17,000 pounds a week (his salary). He was making about $65,000 a year in the MLS. I am happy for the kid!

I will be happier when he becomes a force to reckon with in the EPL.

16. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA

Is it at all possible that the hype of his rookie season led to pressure for him to perform in his second season, and he crumbled a bit under the pressure?

And is it at all possible that the pressure of playing for his country is why he was mediocre to poor in his few national team caps as well?

I mean, its all well and good to postulate about how the daily pressure to perform in the EPL will make Ream a better player.

But if we look at the evidence (and I admit its a small sample size), Ream has yet to show an ability to rise up and meet a challenge once added pressure is introduced.

I'd love nothing more than to be wrong, because I want all of our national team players to succeed...but people on here really are choosing to ignore what's right in front of their eyes in preference for what they really and truly hope will happen...even if by their own admission what they hope will happen is pretty long odds.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No one is "choosing to ignore anything" we are just not as anal as you have been about it.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mostly what happened is that the fans of Gonzalez and George John exaggerated Ream's weaknesses in order to build up their boy. :D

DISCLAIMER: Of those 3, I like Gonzo the best. Just sayin'.

19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That gets my vote! :)

20. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010

There has been much talk (a lot of which was inaccurate btw) of each players relative strength and weakness but what ive found as the biggest difference between those three players is consistency. Ream has yet to display the consistency of either John or Gonzo nor many other good defenders in MLS. Ream had an excellent year for a rookie but those of us with decent memories and/or know how to use the search button understand that Ream had a significant dip in form through the middle of his rookie year also.

But I had a revelation the other day as I watched the 49'rs /Giants game with some friends. one of my friends happens to be a multi x probowler who is near the top of the NFL record book for KR and PR TD's. (i.e he knows his shit) ...
    We were discussing the 49rs return man who played terribly throughout and essentially gifted the game to the giants at the end. He told me two things that stood out

1. Nobody on the field feels worse than that guy (obviously)
    2. Nobody will care next year

Assuming the deal is finalized Ream will be given an opportunity to contribute and/or shine on the biggest stage in world football.
    It matters not what he's done in the past much less what we think he is or is not capable of.
    The only thing that matters is what Ream does next practice, next match, next practice, etc etc

I hope he balls as:

I know John is ballin'
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...evelopmental-squad-eyes-first-team-debut.html

I saw Whitbread ballin last weekend too,
    I suspect Cameron will be doing so tonight,
    and I assume Gonzalez will be too after he recovers

The more LEGIT competition we have for our nats the better as lasting success can only be built on a strong foundation..that foundation is a strong, consistent, and deep back line

21. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a question but I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I would put it here since he's a player who recently went through an appeals process.

If a player signs with a club and needs to go through the work permit process and appeal, does the English FA make exceptions for registration? Say for example if the appeals process started when the window is open and stretches until after the window closes is the club still allowed to sign and register the player?

22. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quoted for truth. Repped.

23. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mods, can we get rid of the whole Ream-Gonzalez-John debate? We have enough topics on that in the main board.

24. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe that's impossible, AFAIK all work permit appeals have to be completed before the transfer window closes.

25. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why hasn't Bolton announced the Ream signing on their website? I thought he was approved for the work permit?