Fulhamerica: the Ream Continues [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many points have Spurs picked up lately? How likely was it for Wigan to beat Arsenal at the Emirates, and Arsenal is a team that was on a major hot streak.

2. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's done a great job getting them headed in the right direction at such a crucial time in the season. ......getting them in the position that they now find themselves in,....not so much.

3. Plainsburner

Plainsburner Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did the same thing last season, saved themselves in the final stretch.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Wigan needing 3 points is the best team in the world.

5. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the relegation clock starts to strike there are always teams that manage to scramble somehow to safety. Often, they are fortunate to play teams that have nothing to play for, already safely secured and unable to move into the top four. Any points will be like gold dust, as it has been for the past several weeks, I am pulling for Bolton for the sake of Ream and Holden. It's gonna be tough . . .

6. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR finishes with Tottenham, Chelsea, Man City, and Stoke.

Bolton- Swansea, Villa, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom, and Stoke.

I see it being very feasible that Bolton makes up the two points and more.

7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Blackburn vs Norwich, @ Spurs, vs Wigan, @ Chelsea

Wigan @ Fulham, vs NUFC, @ Blackburn, vs Wolves

Villa vs SAFC, vs Bolton, @ WBA, vs Spurs, @ Norwich

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both QPR and Bolton face Tottenham and Stoke, so that's more or less a wash.

QPR's two additional games are Chelsea and Man City, elite teams that still have something worth battling for in the standings.

Bolton's four additional games are Swansea, Villa, Sunderland, and West Brom. That's quite different from QPR's additional 2.

So, yeah, the path for Bolton to gain 3 more points than QPR is definitely there.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    It's 2 from 3 at the bottom IMO. Wigan will creep away with their winnable games.

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yeah I definitely didn't see QPR beating tottenham. If Bolton don't beat Aston Villa on Tuesday then they will be in the championship.

12. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to target at least 4 of 6 points from their 2 games in hand to have a good chance of staying up. It has been frustrating watching these big clubs losing against Bolton's relegation rivals, but you have to give them credit.

13. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're simply not very good. Can't defend. Can't score. That's how you get relegated.

Some of it is bad luck. They've been without Holden, Lee, and Mears all season, but all squads suffer injuries. That's why you need some decent backups.

I like Coyle and I feel bad for him, but I have to question some of his decisions. How can you let your record signing (Elmander) walk without getting some compensation? Why would you replace Elmander and Sturridge with N'gog, who simply isn't a reliable EPL caliber player? Why wait to long to sell Cahill when the whole world knows he's leaving after the season?

Some of this is just basic Football Manager 101 stuff.

I hope Bolton can bounce back quickly, but it won't be easy. I can't help but wonder what a player like Ba, Cisse, or Jelavic might have done for their survival chances. Hell, even Yakubu might have made the difference.

14. jukeboxromeo

jukeboxromeo Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Ba, Cisse or Jelavic wouldn't have joined the club. Yakubu might have.

Given up hope now, we're relegated.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Coyle be fired?

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bolton deserve to be relegated. If they win any of their remaining games and somehow escape it, then it'll be 1 heck of a miracle. Ream knew what he was getting into. Championship might even do him well. He'd definitely be a starter for sure and adapt to that league more so than the PL, though it's only been a few games for him.

17. Major Major

Major Major Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Colorado
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to go the other way on this one and say the Championship would be horrible for Ream. It is all hoof-ball and athleticism down there.

18. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream has impressed somewhat. He may be able to find his way on to a newly promoted team next season, or a relegation regular...

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Bolton are going to be selling him just 6 months after buying him, especially with half the team out of contract.

20. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Bolton will need a firesale this summer if they go down. Cant see anyone higher up the pyramid wanting to take any of their defenders off their hands though having been the 3rd worst defence in the league.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the team is out of contract, and the biggest issue for relegated clubs is the carry over of premier league wages. Bolton will have more flexibility to deal with the wage bill than most relegated teams because of that.

Ream would strike me as one of the last players to move. I doubt his wages are too high and I doubt anybody is going to pay $3million or more for him.

Sadly it looks like he and Holden are going to be 2nd division players next year.

22. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Nope, defintely going to be at Bolton next season, who'll probably be in the Championshop. I'd say the same for Holden too.

23. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Boltons problem is their massive debt. Coyle has already said publicly that going down would be catastrophic for them.

Ream won't go anywhere. Partly because he will surely have a relegation clause in his contract but mostly because anyone looking to strengthen their defence isn't going to look at players from a defence as leaky as Boltons.

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolton just need to win the rest of their games.

25. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The debt's not really a problem as 90% of it is owed to the owner Eddie Davies, he takes an income from the interest.

The out of contract players represent most of the high earners so our wage bill will drop. The only problem is that we won't have much money to buy new players so their replacements may be a bit... crap. I doesn't help that Coyle has spunked £8 million on Ngog and Sordell when neither player is up to it.

Our most saleable assetts will be Holden, Lee and Mark Davies. Lee's out of contract in 2013 so it wouldn't surprised me if we let him go for relative peanuts this year in order to fund new players.