A New York expansion team not named the Cosmos?

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Unak78, Mar 22, 2012.

1. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a New Yorker, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about the Belmont stadium. Could the Cosmos/MLS work out there? Would this be another Frisco or could it work out? Does this eliminate a lot of city residents who wouldn't go to that stadium or does it open the door to more Long Island fans? My guess is that Queens is the preferred location, but would this work as well?

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly - me personally - could make it work but I have a car. I also go out to RBA via car an I am completely aware a lot of people in NYC dont have a car.

It would negavitly impact attendance i think because the only option directly to the location is the LIRR. The lack of a direct subway line will hurt any team not in the NFL if you ask me.

3. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think people in the city would identify with the club if it was in Long Island?

4. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way this team has been run thus far and how much money the owners are going to have to spend to fund this I really don't see this project getting off the ground. Maybe if they aim a little lower then a $400 million 25,000 seat stadium I could see them getting one built but not what they're planning.

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just hubris that's all---they weren't kidding in the past when they said regarding the MLS expansion fee that they would rather "spend that money on themselves" rather than giving it to the league. They are 100% convinced that they can become an american superclub while competing in division 2.

This is their version of trying to stick it to MLS but they have to be careful that they don't wind up being the punchline of the joke instead....

Cyclonis and QueensNick repped this.
  6. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This can be the proove that new NYC team in MLS will not be the Cosmos. Go NYCFC !!!!

7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems like some high stakes negotiating to me. Cosmos in MLS likely the outcome. How much can they negotiate that $100M fee down with this is the question. Clearly they've got the money to pay it. Perhaps the compromise is MLS and Cosmos split the costs on the stadium, fee somehow "bundled" so Garber can report a record high fee number and Cosmos get a better stadium location, MLS entry and they own the stadium not MLS.

QueensNick repped this.
  8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems like some high stakes negotiating to me. Cosmos in MLS likely the outcome. How much can they negotiate that $100M fee down with this is the question. Clearly they've got the money to pay it. Perhaps the compromise is MLS and Cosmos split the costs on the stadium, fee somehow "bundled" so Garber can report a record high fee number and Cosmos get a better stadium location, MLS entry and they own the stadium not MLS.

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said - we have asked them and yes - they are saying how great NASL is and how they can build the club the ywant to there but they never say MLS is not an option going forward - they have yet to close that door.

Something like this man. While the Cosmos have the global brand that many recognize, the MLS has the top league, the TV deals and even the stadium plan. This gives the Cosmos a little leverage if they go back to the table with the MLS.

10. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    well color me confuddled. Between this and cosmos announcing they want to build thir OWN stadium in Nassau, I hav no idea what's going on.

All I know is that as a casual sports fan I will be mighty dissapointed if the new franchise ain't the cosmos. That brand name in queens next to a subway and railway station? It makes too much sense.

What's more I'm sure the cosmos knows that if they want to be on top again, they have to be in MLS as its the only outfit that will get enough attention annd money.

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nick, what is your opinion on this strange situation ? The MLS is trying to put a sss in Queens and these Cosmos guys to want another 25k sss in Elmont but for a second level division........

13. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i think you nailed it - its strange- you have been following us since 2008 - we went from nothing to possibly 2 stadiums and 2 teams.

I think there is more to come

14. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  15. Alamo City Ultra

May 15, 2012
    san antonio, tx
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be huge for the Cosmos and NASL (depending on how long they stay in the NASL).

16. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly since 2007....
    My main question for you is this : If there will be the NYCFC in MLS in Queens and the Cosmos in NASL in Elmont, I hope that the BBs will follow the NYCFC.....

17. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I was thinking. Why would the NYRA agree to this ? having a stadium across the street that might reduce their chance at hosting the Breeders Cup at Belmont.

18. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Im not speaking for anyone else but me.. I would choose the team in Queens over the team at Elmont.. That being said I could make a full day of racing and Soccer if I were to go out to Belmont.

19. John Mathius Smith III

Dec 31, 2012
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Cosmos Stadium is beast it will be the best of NASL moving ahead of San Antonio.
    While we all might not like the idea of Cosmos in NASL, we should like that everyteam in NASL is trying to help create that soccer infrastructure from FTL.Strikers, San Antonio, to the New York Cosmos,

20. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now I think that we will see the renderings of the Queens stadium....

21. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

and i hope you just support napoli and enjoy the great season they are having and you stop caring about what happens or does not happen IN THIS THIRD WORLD OF SOCCER BACKWATERS called the united states......dont worry about a place YOU NEVER BEEN TO OR NEVER PLAN TO VISIT YOU CREEPY STALKER!!!

MLS NYC and Cosmos should get a order of protection against you.... I bet you were the guy that stalked jodi foster a few years back.....CREEPO

kiro2317 repped this.
  23. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I speak for myself, but I'll support an MLS NYC club near the most subway lines.

kiro2317 repped this.
  24. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Jerry Bossert@JBossertNYDN
    NYRA has "No Comment" regarding the proposed Soccer Stadium being built at Belmont Park

Don't you think they would have the NYRA on board if this was a serious proposal.

25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While many people still think that Cosmos has not given up completely yet on MLS, I find their actions incompatible with wanting to be in MLS. I think they were quite frank--not only would they rather spent the combined 400 million stadium plus MLS expansion fee on themselves, but i think they also went on record as saying that they were not sure/not comfortable with the MLS single entity system. Granted it was under the old Kelmsley administration, but they said that the NASL model appealed to them more because it allowed owners full control of the club including complete control of merchandising contracts and freedom to contract with whomever they wanted. I think this stadium is just an example of them putting their honest beliefs into action. They intend to have a stadium for themselves that will help them to fully exploit the Cosmos name brand, fully controlled, designed and financed by them. They want to be big on their own--find their own recipe for success as it were. For their sake and for the sake of local soccer i hope they succeed. As far as dreams of entering MLS go, I think that ship is sailing fast out of the port--if it hasn't already left completely that is. Perhaps the question will be revisited years down the line if Cosmos indeed becomes a huge success.

Cyclonis repped this.