A New York expansion team not named the Cosmos?

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Unak78, Mar 22, 2012.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because various articles on the matter have quoted ownership saying they are interested in expanding and making the "City" brand a worldwide force. So it's easy mentally to just identify the expansion NY franchise as Man City Jr.

Man City existed long before the arab sheikh bought them--in many ways it is viewed by the fans as being the team's brand not the owner's. You bring up an interesting point though--i wonder how many of the people actually involved in the Man City front office would be involved in getting NY City FC off the ground.

As far as team brands go it's Chivas USA all over again except that this experiment will have the "prestige" of a Euro brand attached to it rather than a Liga MX one. Whether ownership/front office will prove to be just as incompetent is a different question altogether--that's on a "wait and see" mode right now. All of this, of course, hangs on the assumption that the Man City group will win the bid for NYC #2. Who's to say that the Paris St Germain group won't win the bid?? :p

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And frankly, with the current league setup, a cash-splasher is just not any guarantor of a powerful team. So that doesn't bother me.

3. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Rumor seems BS to me.

4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, Man City just trashed the rumors anyways. So while their ownership may still be seeking an MLS franchise, the City brand does not appear to be crossing the Atlantic.

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article you're just talking about--fresh this morning.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...rman-rejects-mls-franchise-speculation-121512

The interesting part of that article:
    In other words, the implication is that it was indeed under consideration for a while but then after further internal talks they decided to not go for it---quite possibly because the club is in such financial hot water as it is or perhaps the fear that it would place a further strain on an already harried club.

Oh well--NY City FC was a nice flirtation while it lasted---at least they made up their mind a lot quicker than Barcelona did. It would appear that our league is a tougher one to get into than many people think--the financial commitment and the single entity structure have scared away many would be owners over the years. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it tends to filter out a lot of potential problems down the line.

Ok-- we are all still waiting on Paris St Germain now, and of course the Curtis Martin bid group is still out there. Of course Man City's sheikh may still decide he wants a new toy in MLS and just decide to name the club something else altogether.... and then of course we go back to the "will they or wont they sell the Cosmos name" saga...:ROFLMAO:

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give up on MLS if this happens

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City threw its hat in the ring 2 weeks ago - now all of a sudden they are agreeing to a deal with 100 million expansion fee like that?

I had my doubts about that because im sure Man City are just as good businessmen as MLS - and they were not just coming to an agreement on all terms in 2 weeks.

This to me said - if the Cosmos or whomever else does not want to pay 100 million - here is a rumor that i can get it elsewhere

Unak78 repped this.
  8. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Verona one of the best?? simply NO! :p ;)

9. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This night there will be 9k Verona fans in San Siro for the game vs Inter in Italian Cup. I am a Napoli fan, but I love the truth...

11. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was just joking. They DO have a very dedicated tifoseria. But, we should define "best"... how many of them are there for the game, and how many for the "politics"?

12. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was (partially ;)) joking. They do have a very dedicated tifoseria, with season tickets numbers in line with Serie A teams. But, we should define "best"... how many of them are there for the game, and how many for the "politics"? And the same could be said for Atalanta...

Anyway, better not go OT too much.

13. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get back on topic (Because the best fans in Italy are Salernitana :) )

The reality is - i think we are a ways off from the club being announced so a lot can happen. Fact is...the stadium deal has not been announced. All you saw was a town hall.

The deal with the city is still pending...and just then begins the ULURP

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    MLS has taken out a trade mark on New York City FC. See MLS n&a.

15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP :laugh:

QueensNick and deejay repped this.
  16. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    So far the only ones who have gone all the way are Red Bull and Vergara. They are owners of rather mid-sized clubs on the world scale. Man City and Barcelona are much larger operations that require a much larger investment. Divesting resources from them is a bigger risk perhaps.

Then again, Red Bull also owns a very expensive F1 team, several extreme competitive teams as well, and recently funded a free-fall from the edge of space. So they're also spending money in many different places yet still found MLS to be worth the investment. And they bought in for more than Barcelona would have I believe and built the stadium on their own dime.

17. bwest578

bwest578 Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  18. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly does appear to be the case...
    I wonder how this impacts the MLS stadium fight in Flushing. It's not hard to imagine somebody (an idiot, most likely) asking why the Borough needs two soccer stadiums.

19. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no way two stadiums are happening

Unak78 repped this.
  20. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Hell, it's hard enough to get one approved. I was just thinking of the NIMBY or that pandering politician that suggest Citi using the Cosmos stadium location to block Flushing.

Unak78 repped this.
  21. John Mathius Smith III

Dec 31, 2012
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    What are you guys talking about? The Cosmos Belmont stadium and the MLS flushing stadium are two different things. They won't affect each other. That is like saying if someone wanted to build a stadium Brooklyn for USL pro then mls flushing stadium should not exist. Again two different things. Anyway Belmont and Flushing are very far away from each other. What I do like is how every team in NASL are looking to build soccer specific stadium or already putting plans in motion. What I also like is they are building stadiums for their team and not just for MLS. Truth is NYC can support four soccer teams two in queens but very far from each other, Brooklyn, and if we are lucky maybe Manhattan. If you live in NYC you do know residents take pride in their borough its like a city within a city. And if people notice the development that NYC is going through, Bloomberg is trying to make each borough competitive and create reasons for tourist to visit each borough. I say the cosmos belmont stadium is good because nassau has been trying to develop that site since 2009. FYI- Belmont Park is over 400 acres of land. Garber decided not pursue this site because it was too far east not deep in NYC urban core.

22. John Mathius Smith III

Dec 31, 2012
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    I wanted to know if their is 20 acres of land in Manhattan to build a soccer stadium

23. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with what you are saying. I say absolutely build both stadiums. Keep the Cosmos in NASL and have MLS NY2. Hell, throw a USL/NASL team and stadium in Brooklyn too. NYC can support multiple teams.
    What I'm talking about is the political bullshit already going on with Flushing. The guy running for Queens borough president recently suggested that MLS NY2 should play at Citi. Obviously he either has no clue about the current state of MLS or simply doesn't care. Either way, he is pandering to the anti-stadium voters. The Cosmos stadium plans, which should be less expensive and do not rely on parkland in Flushing, give him -and those like him - another tool to fight MLS in Flushing. Basically the Cosmos' stadium document coming to light at this time will only add fuel to his flames.

24. John Mathius Smith III

Dec 31, 2012
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    I agree with you on the Queens borough president. It makes you wish that the borough Brooklyn president switch if the Queens president. MLS does not have to worry about the Wilpons because of the whole madoff finances. Garber true opposition is the people and trying to get them on his side is tough.

25. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right- two completely different situations - in the same state trying to build a soccer stadium within 7 miles of each other in the same state.

My concern is that the state is going to sooner or later say - "one or the other" They both need approvals.

I still think there is a lot to happen with these two stadium proposals.

Imagine that - the area that could not find a stadium plan now has potentially two.