A New "Don" - Donovan at Everton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arkjayback, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I agree with you on the pink (the fact that the crest is pink as well doesn't help things). Am I the only one who likes the bib? It's a very distinctive look!

At any rate, all of us should buy as many Everton jerseys as we can just so we can help Everton pay the transfer fee for Landon. ;)

2. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Everton is like a district in the city of Liverpool. Safe to say it isn't really the nicest area...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton,_Liverpool

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...n,+Liverpool,+Merseyside,+United+Kingdom&z=15

The Beatles came from Liverpool, yes.

The accent is like, one of the most identifible in the country - a lot of people hate it! There is maybe the slightest difference between North and South Liverpool but only to the locals really. There is no definition of red or blue. Families are split down the middle, best friends are often one or the other - it's not really done on "area" but there are probably more blues in North Liverpool and more reds in South Liverpool.

EDIT: Tima pretty much covered it!

3. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very possibly.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Among the newer fans (a certain portion who I wager will remain a few years from now), there's a distinctly American sound to that accent.

I assume your reactions to this are probably mixed, but among the hard-core American fans of the game, there are very few who would be rooting against Everton at this point in time, a trend that might well last a while.

It's hard to say what it really is, but even apart from Donovan and Timmy, this club has a dimension which is easy for US Nats fans to appreciate and relate to. Even though Everton's tradition is distinctly old, and the US Nats tradition is (for all intents and purposes) distinctly recent.

5. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    The kits this year grow on you! The pink one is actually REALLY nice. I think guys just get self conscious ;)

They are much nicer in person.

There will be 3 new kits next year if your that concerned people :p

6. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Mate, I love the foreign support for us. It shows that they have looked past the "Big 4" and actually done some looking (not saying that you guys who pick the big 4 clubs aren't real fans but it is SO much easier to support them...) into things. You know that they are real fans. When I go abroad and people comment on my jersey or I see other people wearing one (I see another one wherever I go it seems!) it really warms my heart and you feel an almost instant connection, and you can talk to them straight away almost as if you know them already. It's crazy. Happened to me quite a bit.

7. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm not sure that it's true. The first team to wear them seems to have been an Australian rules football team in 1911 and the first soccer team to wear them was also Australian.

In England, Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday seem to have used numbered shirts in 1928. Everton's claim to fame seems to be that they were the first to use numbers one through eleven.

8. Tima

Tima Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Cambridge
    I'm not Liverpool born and bred and my nearest club has never been Everton so I'd be a massive hypocrite to complain about out of town support.
    The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, wools* are welcome.

* wools is a Liverpool term for people from outside the city, I think it comes from the term "woolyback" which is what people from the Lancashire cotton milling towns were called back when Liverpool was the glittering gateway to the Americas and looked down on the unsophisticated yokels inland!

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the mid-90s there was a movie called something like Before Sunrise. The plot was that Ethan Hawke was in Paris and met a French chick and they spent the night going around Paris, having a magical time...and when morning came they went their separate ways, forever.

Just sayin'. (Of course, a year or so ago, they made a sequel.)

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Arne Riise? Or does it predate him?

11. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Oh, it predates him for sure.

They might as well put a liverbird on the Norway flag they have that many fans over there. They also have higher numbers of "fans" all around the country. Dunno why, horrible club.

12. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

You summarzied my feelings exactly regarding their kit. I understand the homage to the team from the past and all - but design an homage with a jersey I could wear to the pub in this decade. :rolleyes:

Arteta's Girl - feel free to forward this to the main office as "summarized opinion of the majority of Yank Everton fans with disposible income that could be going to your club if you had just sacked that design...." :p

EDIT: The away kit doesn't look bad on TV from a distance.....it doesn't exactly go with my jeans though. LOL

13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    And no way we have to suffer the word "dynasty" ascribed to some orange team in Houston.

Yeah, you think Landon had Onstad pretty well scouted?

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    (Oh, my bad. Let me repost that comment.)

And no way we have to suffer the word "dynasty" ascribed to some orange team in Houston.

Yeah, you think Landon had Onstad pretty well scouted?

[19984280]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

15. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
  16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    "Roger McGough is a Liverpool poet. He is the author of many books set in and around Liverpool, including: 'Merseysound', 'Gig', 'The Liverpool Scene' and two of his Liverpool Poems are in the Oxford Book of 20th Century English Verse. He was born in Liverpool, attended school in Liverpool, was even married in Liverpool, and his football team is, of course, Everton."

(did anyone ever see The Rutles?)

17. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    If (big if) Donovan were to move permanently to Everton, what are the chances they would wear a Nike kit next year?

18. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Unless Le Coq Sportif go bust - Nil. We signed a 3 year manufacturing deal with them at the end of last season.

19. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less likely than a permanent move for Donovan. Le Coq Sportif signed a deal with them in late 2008, and while I don't know how long that deal's set to last, I'm pretty sure LCS is Everton's preferred sponsor. They've become synonymous with the club ever since the '80's, when Gary Lineker and the Toffees wore the French brand and won numerous titles, cups, and shields.

Edit: Thanks, Arteta's Girl for the contract length.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Selma Hayek

[​IMG]

You'll probably want to look for the Salma Hayek thread

21. Bradley's Glare

Jul 31, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I'm standing on the banks of the Mississippi"

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate to leave Salma Hayek's glorious physiognomy behind, we have crossed the line here.

Time to start a new Donovan at Everton thread, as this one has become too long and must be closed before it threatens the space-time continuum.