A New "Don" - Donovan at Everton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arkjayback, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That sounds about right. They look like the numbers you'd expect for one club, not all of them. The naming rights for the stadiums alone and blowing that one figure out of the water.

2. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Associated Press: Major League Soccer is willing to start the season under the rules of its expired labor contract. “We’ve communicated that the league doesn’t have an intention of commencing a lockout,” said Mark Abbott, the M.L.S. president, putting the onus on players to decided whether to strike for the first time.

I think this means that if there's no agreement, it will be a strike rather than a lockout, and Donovan won't be able to work where he wants.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Can Everton afford NOT to sign Landon?

Since Landon started playing for Everton, they've had the best record in the Prem, against an unbelievable schedule. So I would say no, they can't afford not to sign him.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only hope LD has enjoyed the loan half as much as I have. What a great win today.

BTW, Moyes is bloody brilliant, keeps losing starters and his team keeps playing better.....

5. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Let me say that while agree with your sentiments entirely, I think the reality is that "since Landon started playing for Everton, they've had the best record in the Prem, against an unbelievable schedule. So I would say no, they can't afford [omitted] to sign him". ;)

6. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    Wow, that Bily equalizer was so sweetly struck. Looked awesome, especially from the reply behind VDS's net.

7. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    That awesome Donovan trap is around 70'30" in the game. Sweet.

8. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    It's not the only reason, but it has certainly been one of them.

Donovan's latest update: "Wow. I didn't think anything could top the atmosphere from last week's win against Chelsea but I don't think I've ever been in a louder stadium than yesterday. Thank you all for another incredible memory...I am so proud to play for this club. Have a great Sunday!"

I thought Chelsea was a tiny bit louder myself, but then I always think night games sound louder!

9. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Not many in England. He's been a useful adddition to the team no doubt and Last week having him helped weather the loss of Cahill and Fellaini.

But Everton's run of good form is more to do with the easing of their injury crisis and just generally finding their form.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    The whole team picked it up because they know they'd never live it down if an American field player steps in and out shines them.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess Landon is just a good luck charm. That's enough, ain't it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Your anti-Landon jihad is getting more funny than annoying.
    And I'm 90% sure that if you went back one more match, that would be the draw at Arsenal, a pretty impressive result as well.

12. Shaolin Beez

Shaolin Beez New Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think they feed him the ball enough or allow him to feature on dead balls as much as they should. Landy Cakes is an elite player despite the occasional lapses like yesterday's wiff from 7yrds out. w/ 1g, 3a, in 7 matches, he's been a major factor in Everton's hot streak (16pts in 7 games).

to me, he's proven beyond a doubt--esp seeing Old Spice and him playing side by side w/ the gals-- that his skills are difficult to match. Since he can play 4 attacking positions well, they need to exploit his abilities all over the field rather than just on the wings. He needs to be the best option on all set pieces, since he's no threat as a target and is wasted posting up in the wall. my critique of the english game outside of the big-4 is a lack of imagination, that players can't switch roles several times in a game. this is an area he excels.

If and when he leaves them, we'll truly be able to measure how much of a difference maker he played. But overall, I hope that permanently dashes the euro-centric ego, that Europe is the only place where greats can hone their talent.

13. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago

It's not so much an anti-Landon jihad as an "I'm English. [Even though I support Reading] I'll come on Yanks Abroad free of charge and teach you guys a few things about footie. [Even though you guys are religiously following all news reports and articles about Landon] I'm English and therefore when I say there is little attribution of Everton's upsurge to Landon Donovan, I must be right."

14. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    anti-Landon Jihad? I've been compliemntary, he has done well. Also being realistic too.

I've heard Everton's revived fortunes talked about on SkySports TV 3 or 4 times, can't remember Donovan's name being mentioned at all.

He's helped, he wouldn't be a consistent starter if he wasn't offering anything, but he is not the main reason for Everton's revival. You should really be looking at the defence for that as they weren't doing very well earlier in the season.

15. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Thanks for telling me my own mind, it's been a voyage of self-discovery

16. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Football is more or less a team game, I don't think we can change Landon took over and wins games by himself. We can say that Everton's attacking dynamics are completely changed with Landon on the field, without Pienaar (Chelsea) and without Cahill, Fellanni... Landon quite easily fills in the hole in both offense and defense with his outstanding work, and high soccer IQ.

Moyes is asking Landon to fulfill a role at Everton, and he is doing it to the very best of his abilities. Ten weeks is not nearly enough time for Landon to acclimate himself to Everton, where they would be fully utilize his attacking talents. Obviously, Moyes won't build a offense around loanee but more or less the potential you can only see on the field.

A shame, really. If you think Landon was able shut up doubters now, imagine him spending an entire season at Everton.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's been a key component of their upsurge (and particularly pulling off two league wins against two top 4 teams after losing first Fellaini and then Cahill). To say he's the reason for the upsurge is to undercut the contributions of a lot of excellent players who have also played excellently (ie Heitinga, Baines, Fellaini, Cahill, Pienaar, Osman and Saha in spots). Yesterday the kids came through. And, not to mention, their manager. Moyes is one of the very best in the world. To discount all that doesn't make us many friends, and blinds us to the fact that this team plays pretty well as a unit. Heitinga in particular has been excellent, outstanding even.

But yeah, Landon's clearly been a key aspect of their recent good form, no question. And in the last two matches in particular, one of the best on the field, even with the miss (ouch!).

18. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    You expect him to come in and start demanding every set play, and to be the focal point of every attack? Sorry, that's not how it works with us. He's been an addition to an already good machine - providing a different outlet and different attributes.

He is, no offence, surrounded by a higher calibre of players. It means less reliance on him to provide all the goals and assists.

19. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    It wasn't really meant for you, but I think others should know the score when reading your posts.

20. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I do support Reading (because I live there), so it does seem like it for me.

The reason I come here? 1) I like World football more than I like Reading 2) Not really into the terrace banter of English forums (not that I don't ever go there myself soemtimes), I prefer to talk about football.

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, this is a problem. Rather than just bin these posts, I suppose it's time to air this out a little. This place is becoming increasingly inhospitable for divergent points of view.

I may not agree with jcsd's posts all the time, but I don't recall a single instance in the Donovan/Everton era when he did not post within the TOS or when he did not post with an argument oriented around results on the pitch or having directly to do with the game in general. Furthermore, when people disagree with him, he responds by engaging the substance of their disagreement, rather than by attacking the poster, if I remember correctly. Thus while his posts about Donovan have been more moderate than most, they are justifiable inclusions in the discussion.

And if he seems to some to be on the extreme end of that discussion, you should consider the fact that those posters who would like to inform us that Donovan (or some other YA) is crap and never will be anything but crap are screened out pretty quickly.

22. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    I think the key aspect to Donovan's game to see yesterday, in a high pressured match against the likes of Man U - Donovan was far more productive and comfortable working underneath Saha than he was trying to maintain possession and create ahead of Baines.

Pienaar has just a slight edge on Donovan at this point in running that outside midfielder spot - just seems to be more dangerous a little more often - and as soon as they switched and Donovan went up to - it allowed Pienaar and Donovan to combine in a way they hadn't when it was the other way around.

I'm not sure if it was Donovan's reluctance to make more attacking runs or what exactly - I just know Donovan was able to receive the ball in an advanced position and find teammates in a way that was not happening when he was out wide today. He made more defense splitting passes from there than he was managing when he would carry the ball up himself.

Especially against the smallish Lisbon - I think that would be the perfect place for him in that game to see what happens.

23. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    For a long time I've detected what I believe is a not overly subtle agenda in his posting history similar to that of a certain Mexican poster who posts on YA. That said, I won't point that out for either of those 2 a second time, and will leave it to others to decide. I fully understand if you want to bin my posts on the subject.

24. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Well Cahill is again out, so it wouldn't surprise me if the team was the same - apart from it'll be Yobo and Senderos (YIKES :() at the back rather than the suspended Distin and ineligible Heitinga.

The midfield yesterday consisted of 5 proper footballing midfielders who's first thought is always positive. They all want to go forward, this allowed free flowing movement, and creativity, intertwining with each other right across the pitch, swapping positions and being able to interact well with each other. They were all disciplined on defence too. It was almost like an Arsenal style of play, if I'm honest. As long as they cover each other on defence, then it could be pretty damn special :cool:

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

I think perhaps, bungadiri, that the annoyance at jcsd is driven by what we have seen in his history of posts regarding the subject and his unwillingness to examine his prejudices in light of the current evidence. So while being obstinate and irrational is not against the TOS per se, his fake "level headedness" is insincere.

But, hey, he's been on my IL for a long time.

So as long as you all stop quoting him, I'm cool.