A London Visit - help please...

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by laffinarsenal, Oct 31, 2008.

1. laffinarsenal

laffinarsenal New Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Evanston, Il
    I'm going to be in London Dec 27 through Jan 8. I want to catch a game while I'm there. I've done a little research and one of my constraints was I didn't want to go to a Premiership game. I want to see what a lower tier game to experience the atmosphere of the fan base of a smaller club.

So, a little help, please. Of the games listed below, which would give me the best experience?

Jan 3 - Leyton Orient Home to Southend

Jan 3 - Barnet Home to Grimsby Town

Jan 3 - Brentford home to Chesterfield

Dec 28 - Luton Town home to Lincoln City

Dec 28 - Milwall home to Yeovil Town

Jan 3 - Milwall home to Swindon Town

Dec 28 - QPR home to Watford

Jan 1 - Wimbledon home to Fischer Athletic

Jan 3 - Wycombe Wanderers home to Bury

Thanks for the help. Oh, and I need to know fairly soon. Thanks again.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you should go to a premiership game if you can, as even if you can't guarantee the game will be great, you will at least have the experience of a big crowd and stadium.

Of the games listed, QPR v Watford would probably be the best (if not cheap) although Watford matches can get a little agricultural.

Other than that I'd go for the ones where there'll be a reasonable number of fans from both teams, which leaves you Orient v Southend or either Millwall match.

A little outside of London (but not too far), you could also consider a trip to Aldershot (v Dagenham or v Notts Co) to get a real feel of what lower division football and grounds used to be like in the old days.

Also consider that the games on Jan 3rd will be postponed in either team is in the FA Cup 3rd round, although the 3rd round draw might present possibilities not there presently.

3. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or to watch good old fashioned Football get yourself to Cambridge Vs Barrow AFC:p

Yes Cambridge is just outside London but very easy to get to and its a delightful quaint city full of history etc

But a very good game is in the offering here, I expect a gate of around 5000+ with a very loud and proud Barra support of between 200 + 300

Real and raw game with all the delights of genuine fans in non-league footy, enjoy it you will foget it you wont;)

4. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I'd largely agree with Richard, aside from recommending a Premiership game, and not being so positive about the QPR game (though it will be the one that attracts the crowds, Watford being pretty close).

A couple of those are going to be very easy to get to from central London, and if you are staying there might as well try and make one of those (i.e. not Luton or Wycombe).

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mind me asking, why?

6. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'm guessing he wants to go to a good old fashioned football match, not a corporate event.

7. ArsenalFire

ArsenalFire Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Park Forest, IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years back, I had a great time at Victoria Road for Dag & Red vs Telford. The Daggers were shocked to have an American who knew the team and its players (long story as to why) and I was treated to a watch party for an England WCQ in their clubhouse afterward. On the same trip, I went to an Arsenal Champions League match, and was also treated well, but the experience was not quite as memorable ( and much more expensive) than the visit to the Conference level match.

8. laffinarsenal

laffinarsenal New Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Evanston, Il
    Thanks for the help and the suggestions.

Have a good one! I'll let you know what I thought of the event I chose after I get back. Take care!

9. tigerroar

tigerroar New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How did you get on?

10. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks Tiger..............

I was gonna ask the same thing.

I would have recommended the QPR game simply for ease of transport using the tube.