9th Fixture: November 3, 2012- Swansea City FC v. Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Nov 2, 2012.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    just curious as to how we even begin the process of replacing Torres. Some, and I do not include you among the group, seem to think it is as easy as a pie to move Torres on and splash another 50 mil plus on a replacement.

Call me a cynic, but I dont see it that way. First of lets start with moving Torres. He has to agree to a move, then we have to find a club where he wants to go and which can afford his wages (a reported 198k per week) and then lastly find some type of way to get something in return for his transfer. I just do not believe that leaves a large pool of clubs and will lead to immense difficulities in moving him on.

Now we can move on to the replacement. Do we sign an established name who will cost us yet another immense fee or do we go for a more up and coming player? As I was asking Jedi- what happens if we sign Falcao and he flops- what then? Personally I think Falcao is an excellent player but I have concerns that he is used to being focal point of the attack and with the ball circulating through so many other players in this current system that his talents may not be fully utilised. That also does not include the potential adjustment period which many players struggle with. Perhaps there is more of an old fashioned finisher- someone in the RVN mold- we would consider.

I agree that Torres has, and continues to struggle, and have no issue discussing changes in his position but I think it is significantly more challenge than some many think. At this stage- I would not mind seeing Danny given time in that role tbh.

The Other MJ repped this.
  2. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo: "It is a disappointment we weren't able to finish the game off. It is a shame becaue we scored the goal and held on until two mintues from the end.
    "It has been a tough week physically and mentally, with the two games against Manchester United and we haven't created as many chacnes as we usually do. It is no excuse ebcause we were very close to winning the game.
    "Eden Hazard is an exceptional player and pleased he is in our ranks."

more below

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2969254/title/final-whistle-verdict-late-lament

3. couris

couris Red Card

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Missed the game due to a power shortage................:cry::mad:

4. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    November hasnt been kind to us for the past few seasons. I was hoping we had turned a corner and I am not ready after one game to Cassandra it up and declare all is lost. We looked tired and dare I say uninterested. Not sure Romeu has what it takes to perform well in England but given the amount of time he has seen the pitch he could still be rusty. Hopefully history doesnt repeat itself this month.

fernb8 repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's important to remember that Torres was effective playing as a lone front man with good movement when he was in Spain and when he first went to Liverpool.

For me Falcao looks very similar and, as you say, quite how he'd adapt to having OHM swarming around him for long periods of the game I'm not too sure. That and the fact he doesn't know the English game means he's not a risk-free option either.
    In all honesty I think trying Danny for a few games is an experiment worth trying. He's looked rusty and his decision making is clearly open to question but the thing is he at least KNOWS the English game and,more to the point, we've actually GOT the bugger, unlike some of the names being bandied about.

Drop Nando to the bench for a couple and try Danny out and see what happens. If noting else it will give Torres a kick up the backside. If he can't even cope with being dropped for 2-3 games I don't see a long term future for him with us anyway.

lobomojo, fernb8 and The Other MJ repped this.
  6. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I completely agree to everything you said. I for one like many of us here have been wanting (in some cases praying) for him to do well. But I am just getting increasingly frustrated as he is the "sole" striker we have. Sturridge is good to play 2nd fiddle IMO (and I guess I have had discussions regarding that too). To me Torres is the same. He can come in and be a difference but the main target man? No. United has 4 strikers, City the same. We need at least one more along with Torres and Studge. One of the reasons I really wanted the Hulk deal to go through.

In hindsight, looks like we should maybe have gone for RVP who would have been perfect. Falcao is a big gamble and age 26, not sure we should go for him. Neymar would be a better risk if we have the money. Or maybe someone like Marko Reus.

fernb8 repped this.
  7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you ever want to watch a game in it's entirety, without interruption....don't have a baby. Don't do it. No one should ever do it. Not if you love football.

JediSoccer and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus is more of an AM/winger. If you want a DD replacement and are looking toward Germany; I'd have to say Gomez.

9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is now the appropriate time to point out that we struggled. I mentioned that earlier and it was too early, just making sure.:D

10. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Congrats, Eddie and family, if I'm reading you right. :)

----------------------------

Oscar and Hazard have hit the ground running in England. Mata did, too, last season. Aguero did just fine his first year in England. And somehow Falcao would take a long time? Anyway, I'm done with Swansea, ready for Shahktar.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well it's been a year...it was easier when he was smaller and less mobile. I couldn't watch the second half. Checked my phone, cried.

Yaroni, fernb8 and Blueallthru repped this.
  12. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've go two, 3 months and 2 and a half years. On top of that, I was home with both today and no missus. It took about 4 hours to watch a two hour match. I feel your pain Eddie.

fernb8 repped this.
  13. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The side who wins the title this season is going to be the one who can grind 3 pts out of these types of games at the highest rate.

Had a very busy day (work, Notre Dame game, work) so I still haven't watched this on the DVR. Judging by most of the comments here, I'm not sure I even want to.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We just weren't that good Claudio. Still worth watching though. We lacked crispness and once the hail started, we couldn't control the pace like we like to.

15. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    Was nice to see four 21 year olds in our starting lineup .

Missed the game , and off to Singapore tomorrow for work , hopefully watch bits and pieces soon enough.

16. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Singapore? Nice weather, but don't spit on the sidewalk. :)

Yaroni and addicted2chelsea repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've got one.... she's 35 and visiting San Francisco with boyfriend No. 28 or 29, (I think?!:confused:... I used to give them letters but I ran out). Keep trying to get her to take me to a chels match, (she lives down south), but, no luck :(

18. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My two and half year old is my daughter, do not want to think about boyfriends. Lord have mercy on my soul.

19. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Suggestion: Buy a shotgun. ;)

20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    May have to. That or a really big knife.

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lisa and I have a dog...she's two!.

[​IMG]

And her name is "Chelsea".

22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lovely dog, better name. I was pulling for my daughter to get the name Chelsea, no such luck.:laugh:

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My next dog will not be so lucky with the name. Her name will be "Borussia". :cool:

Yaroni and Blueallthru repped this.
  24. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The missus basically told me to GTFO.:ROFLMAO:

Cris 09 repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    She wouldn't be any good playing ahead of a midfield diamond, would she? ;) :D

Nice looking dog. Well, technically I should say bitch but then, some of you foreign fellas get twitchy when people say that sort of thing. Let's stick with dog, eh?!

Just as a matter of interest would you describe her as a Golden Labrador or a Retriever? I know I've run into some confusion when talking about this before with people from abroad and I can't remember where we ended up.