85th Academy Awards

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Crimen y Castigo, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The gossip about that "performance" is that Franco zoned out after Hathaway made all sorts of weird demands in the days leading up to Oscar night. Amongst them a that she would have at least as many lines as he did. Like, actually count them.
    Of course this could all be spin by his publicist and/or rumors meant to damage Hathaway.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Hathaway has been acting weird and forced for the entirety of the Awards season.
    It's a rather stark departure from her prior public persona, which seemed more grounded and down to earth.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I always get him & Peter Brady mixed up

[​IMG]

nicklaino repped this.
  4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember her from X-Men and The Hunger Games. Did not see her in her Academy Award win. Something tells me she is developing a my shit don't stink attitude. She gave the finger on her way up to talk to the press. Kind of vulgar for a 22 year old. Also, for someone in Hollywood with several big rolls already she is pretty uncouth.

5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO. That's a good catch. MacFarlane could be Knight's son.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, she garnered a lot of sympathy from me for all the crap she underwent over the years, but over the past year she has acted somewhat eccentrically and not in a good way.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The shots of annoyed actresses were faked, dubbed in from other shows. Charlie Theron when they mentioned her and showed her as being pissed...well she even had on a different dress.

Naw...It still didn't work for me..:)

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't care about Argo's inaccuracy. It was typical American hero farce but technically it was so juvenile. It was reality tv editing and tension building at its best. And the script was actually poor. Can anyone name more than three discernible character traits about any of the major players? Even the hostages were thrown to the curb. If we weren't familiar with the story and the dull exposition, we wouldn't even begin to care about their predicament - not that I really cared at all. It was just amateur as a film and it's shocking because Affleck showed some promise two films ago and he seems to be someone who values film history. Here he totally abandoned that.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    He's made one good movie (Gone baby gone), but even there you have to wonder how much of the credit has to go to the source material.
    The Town was just a poor rehash of "Heat". The critical praise that garnered already had a big whiff of the emperors new clothes.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Jack being Jack. :D

11. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What are you in the motion picture business? Have you made any money in it? It was a good script the guy who wrote it got an academy award.

usscouse and StiltonFC repped this.
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Erm... "Crash" won a "best screenplay" Oscar as well and you will need to look with a flashlight on a bright day - turning over every rock - to find a critic who did not retro-actively savage that movie. Most find it intellectually insulting (and rightly so imho).

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nice to talk to a supposedly educated man. Check out this move "all saints day" released in 2000. The writter also appeared in this movie. A comedy about robbing a neighborhood fish market. Chris Lynn was the writter and had a part in it. He was in a very funny scene it with an older women. My son and Chris are very good friends. He came to me with tge script looking for financing. I guess because I live in a big house:). Normally I would not invest in this kind of thing but the script made me laugh out loud so I did. you would never invest in something like this. But I did never released in movie houses. But on a relatively small amt of money I made 10 times what I invested. He made 3 other movies I invested in all of them one is on netflex right now. I made money on all of them.

Advice if you ever have some money to invest with the producers of Argo do it. You will probably make money. I wish I had that kind of money, but unfortunely I don't. Maybe you do

14. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an article in the Economist about movies and money stuff. It's wordy and has numbers. NO THANKS!

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Does it come with pie charts?

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yea I'm Jack Nicholson.

17. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen this discussed in this thread or elsewhere on BS, but I'm wondering what folks here think about the controversy surrounding The Onion's tweet during the Oscars? For those that missed it, The Onion put out a tweet Sunday night that said "Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhane Wallis is kind of a c#*t, right?", in reference to the 9 year-old best actress nominee**. They subsequently removed the tweet and the CEO issued a seemingly genuine apology for it yesterday.

I think that a lot of people who are most upset about the tweet don't understand the satire of the Onion generally or this joke specifically. But I also think that this response was predictable and the Onion should have realized that 140 characters doesn't allow the necessary context to ensure people understand the true target of their humor (in this case, a celebrity-obsessed culture that tries to tear down its stars, especially women and especially on social media during awards season).

Here's a blog post that does well to explain the intent of the joke...
    http://mattkirshen.tumblr.com/post/44013195192/the-onion-the-outrage

And another that explains that the intent doesn't excuse the Onion from any culpability for the ensuing outrage...
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/onion-tweet-wallis

**The tweet spelled out the entire offending word that starts with c, ends with t, and rhymes with hunt.

18. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I did not know jack was a kraut.

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too soon?

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's retarded.

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her giving the press the finger? Not retarded, but lacking good judgement or taste.

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That I agree with. I'd say I disagreed with stating that giving the finger is something 22 year olds don't do.

Overall, I think she knows her shit stinks and that's why she's refreshing to hear or read about.

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who ever said that I applied that to all 22 year olds? First she is a young women. They generally mature much faster than boys. Second she is an actress. I would hope she could conduct herself in a manner that brings praise, not criticism of a personal nature.

She's not as down to earth as you may think. I believe it's part of her shtick. It's mannered and intentional.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It is The Onion.

I was going to say her first name sounded like a venereal disease then I realized that was wrong. :eek:

25. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know about that. I have been following her since Winter's Bone, read lots of interviews and seen lots of videos of her and she just seems to be that way. She just seems to be a really down to earth person that hasnt let fame or money change her into be snotty. Giving the finger falls into line of exactly what I have read about her over the last few years. It doesnt seem to be a way of being rude, more of a way of just being funny. She kind of reminds of me Chelsea Handler in some ways.