85th Academy Awards

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Crimen y Castigo, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Well she does have a lot of courage because she's naked A LOT in the movie.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder if the screen tests are ever going to wind up on the internet.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been a Sally Field fan, personally, but I don't agree with this. Her character is frustrating as hell, and she brings that out well. There's also a fine moment late in the movie where she gives the audience a pretty nuanced look at the nature of MTL's selfishness. One second I was loathing her and the next I was thinking "well, maybe I can see that...". Not easy to do, and it was interesting to watch.

Not sure I agree with the highest of the praise I've seen for Lincoln as a movie, but Field was good.

usscouse repped this.
  4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Film to Present Iran's View of 'Argo' Events - N.Y. Times

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One former hostage taker, Abbas Abdi, after seeing the movie,said that he and his comrades would always be seen as “bad guys” in the United States.

That's pretty great.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder how many times today people responded in comments and on twitter with the line, "Arrrr, go ******** yourself."

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Why do you hate Iran?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Politics forum joke]
    Because they invented Seattle.
    [/Politics forum joke]

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Obviously I said that as a joke, But.
    If the CIA engineers the coupe of a country and takes it over after installing Mohammad Reza Pahlavi as the Shah of Iran. Then trained a bunch of thugs to be his bodyguard and secret police and tourturers, to keep the population 'on track'. (Ask H he was head of the CIA at that time, I believe he taught "Cattle prod 101.) Them one might understand why the people might become a little peeved. They would follow anyone to change that and put it right.

Well they changed it alright but in retrospect it might have been better to have kept the Devil they knew. Now they're (the people) are having to do it again to find a more moderate solution. Perhaps if they called the CIA....Naw!

Ooooops. threadjack unintended.

So, loved Argo, thought it was a well made film. They had to change some minor stuff to give it more suspense. Enough suspense if you were there I guess. The Foreign Press awards liked it.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't had the chance to see any of the Best Picture nominees in the theaters, though I just finished watching Argo on DirecTV HD Pay-per-view. It was pretty good. :)

Of those Best Picture nominees, I also would've liked to have seen Lincoln, Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty before the awards show, but they have yet to appear on DirecTV HD Pay-per-view. :(

-G

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took hostages and wonders why the US would see them as bad guys.

I would have to say that the current government is more repressive than the Shah. Pretty amazing statement, but quite true. What can be said is the current regime applies repression more systematically.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's the day! :D

-G

13. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bout to get suited up and get sloshed.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You and Mel Gibson, that is..:)
    But your photo won't be on police records in the morning..:rolleyes:

Pizza and beer night at our place.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, that different vibe they were going for? They've got that covered for sure.

16. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I greatly dislike the Jaws music prompting the end of the acceptance speeches...

Dr.Phil and sitruc repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Even worse, the orchestra was off-site. The production of the entire night was horrible.

nicklaino repped this.
  18. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Amour intrigued me I did not know anything about it, and they did not really explain what the movie is about.

It seemed to me that it was about an old couple who have been together forever. It looked like his wife became I'll and was dieing and he was trying to keep her alive because he did not want to lose her because he would be lost without her.

To me if I am right this is a beautiful love story between a man and a women. That a lot of older people can relate to.so if true I would like to see this movie.

I realize younger people would not be interested in the topic. But your fathers and mothers would appreciate it.

19. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The host sucked the bullet joke on Lincoln was terrible.

20. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why did a 9 yr old get nominated for best actor?

They used to give a special nomination for a child actor that nade more sense.

Go see a tree grows in Brooklyn. Besides being a great movie on how life was at the beginning of the 20 century . The young girl gave a great performance and won the child actor Oscar

21. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The song the host sang on showing their boobs was dumb. It looked like some of the actresses he mentioned doing it were annoyed.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It was all dumb. His shtick gets old quick. He's one of those guys you can count on to do sophomoric jokes and a few Broadway-style songs and dances. I admit it had moments and he has long annoyed me. All of his shows have the same formula (I didn't need dolphins to know that). His comedy is simple and often cowardly. He offends so he doesn't offend.:unsure:

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Argo lol

Belgian guy repped this.
  24. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

She was incredible in the Beast of the Southern Wild. It was more like watching a documentary than a movie because her and the actor that played her father were amazing.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the consensus on this choice will be equally scathing as the general sentiment now is for "Crash" winning in 2004. And it won't take long.