60th Anniversary of D-Day

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by skipshady, Jun 6, 2004.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a plug for Band of Brothers - a mini-series from HBO about two years ago. Amazing stuff.

3. "Right Wing Wacko"

"Right Wing Wacko" New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    England
    :rolleyes:

That's like asking the rapist to the wedding of his victim. Disgusting.
    My grandad is rolling in his grave no doubt.

4. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Just gotta throw a post in here saying that I can't imagine myself not thinking of D-Day each June 6 for the rest of my life. As a student of history, I can't really help it. As a grandson of WWII vets, it hits as close to home as it can to someone my age.

May the sacrifices of those who served to defeat the Axis powers during the war never be forgotten.

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 posts all day?Sad,really.

:(

In memory of the boys from Bedford ,the paratroopers of St.Mere Eglise,the UDT and Army demolition teams,the North Shore regiment,the 50th Airborne,...

and the Navy who won Omaha Beach.

RIP guys.

6. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Weekends are slow around here, Russ.

I have yet to read Stephen Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers, but I hugely enjoyed Cornelius Ryan's The Longest Day as well as the movie of the same name. I also recommend Six Armies in Normandy by John Keegan.

I had to drive like 800 miles back to Seattle from Contra Costa County in 2000, but I stayed up late the night before to watch The Longest Day.

And when I go to WC 2006 in Germany, I'm going to try and retrace my dad's World War II footsteps. He wasn't involved in D-Day, but Normandy is a must-visit on my list.

7. "Right Wing Wacko"

Apr 29, 2004
    England
    Nice to see the respect from the few folks who bothered to reply.
    True heros these guys, we truly have them to thank for the 'freedoms' we take for granted today.

RIP the Allied heroes.
    And a special mention to the somewhat forgotten "Empire" soldiers of the UK forces, Jamaica, Nepal, India et al.
    Thank you and God bless.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Decdication to the Canadians who fought and died on Juno Beach. Such a shame that the public and corperate Canada has more respect for the veterans than the Liberal gov't.

RIP guys.

[​IMG]

9. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    All the males in my family went with my grandfather to the 55th Anniversary. We had planned to go to the 60th but my grandfather was unable to hang on til now, as he passed away in March. Probably the most influential experience of my life was watching him go to the graves of his men at Colleville-Sur-Mer. The opening scene of Saving Private Ryan is a good portrait of what that experience was like for my family. Also special was when he was the wreath-bearer for the 2nd Division at the International Ceremony. He didn't tell too many stories as he didn't like to talk about it. I learned more about some of the things he did by reading the reports of his actions that earned him medals. These men were and are incredible and their contributions to the world are immesurable.

It's unfortunate that this thread has less posts than many others that are full of inane drivel, but that's how it is around here.

As for Chirac inviting Germany and snubbing Italy, it's disgusting and shows what little class the man has.

10. "Right Wing Wacko"

Apr 29, 2004
    England
    You got that right.

Here's a bump for your hero Grandad. :)

11. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    A bullet kills a 17 year old German boy just as quickly as it kills a 17 year old American, British or Commonwealth boy.

I must admit that the D Day anniversary in New Zealand is not a huge day because we celebrate those who survived and mourn those who made the ultimate sacrifice on ANZAC day - April 25th (http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/Gallery/Anzac/Anzacday.htm)

[​IMG]

Least we forget....

[​IMG]

Crowdie

12. "Right Wing Wacko"

Apr 29, 2004
    England
    The young as time progresses will see WWII and the sacrifices made as less and less reality and more of a hollywood tale, only through remembrance can we pass down the true horrors and heroic sacrifice of our forefathers.

Ronald reagan once addressed the UN and said something along the lines of "if the earth was attacked by an alien culture we would all join together". Well it happened not in that way but in the sense that prejudice was forgotten at least somewhat (lets hope not temporarily) and all on the allied side pitched in to fight evil, is it not self evident that the good of man transcends race and religon? I believe so and our heroic forefathers are there to prove it.

Here's one hero:

[​IMG]
    http://www.cccoe.k12.ca.us/pc/wwii.htm

RIP Dorie Miller.

From the UK side:

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/wwtwo/colonies_colonials_01.shtml

This is why i feel, regardless of the damn media that every man who sacrificed should be given our due respect it should be known that our bretheren Black, white, whatever are the reason we are conversing freely here today. Would some racist b&stard even be here without these heroes fighting evil? I think not.

RIP to all.
    Never Forget.

13. "Right Wing Wacko"

Apr 29, 2004
    England
    Don't sully this thread with your non sequiturs, this is rememberence and respect of our forefathers who fought the NAZI WAR MACHINE not kids, it just ain't appropriate for Germany to be present and i know my grandad who was more man than you'll ever be would feel the same.

Don't respond to me because I'm gonna take it personal, comprende?

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feh.Explain the Reagan pissing contest then...

Ambrose is a must read.Keegan is good as well.

I want to go to Normandy someday.Any free person should.

MSNBC is doing a "you are there" recreation right now with Lester Holt as anchor.Interesting.

15. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A lot of vets still don't like seeing the Germans getting invited. Canadian vets don't like it since Germany troops murdered Canadian POW's during the Normandy battles.

The fact that Italy, a country that changed sides, didn't get invited seems to smack of politics.

16. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I know my late Grandfather, who was part of the British navy invasion of Italy, would feel uncomfortable with the German presence but he would also understand that Germans have the right to mourn their dead - the dead Germans had mothers and children so why shouldn't the Germans mourn their dead as well.

New Zealanders and Australians travel to Gallipoli in Turkey every year to mourn the ANZACs who died there. The Turkish people mourn their dead at the same time and while there are separate ceremonies for the Turks, Aussies and Kiwis there is also a combined ceremony. The releations between the ANZAC nations and Turkey has improved as we start to understand each other. This is something positive to come from the horror that is war.

No dice. If you post then you can expect a response.I understand that some people don't want the Germans to be there, and that is your right, but it is also my right to believe that we should use these opportunities to better understand each other.

Crowdie

17. "Right Wing Wacko"

Apr 29, 2004
    England
    With all sincerity I thank your Grandfather for his sacrifice.

Do not however tell me what my family must do for some PC hand holding love in. You have Zero credibility to dictate the agenda of the annual respect for your betters (as they are mine) I know what my Grandads wishes would be.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Germany's presence at the D-Day celebration is further validation that the sacrifices were justified.

Also don't forget Ezekiel 18:20

20. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    As I thank your Grandfather for his.

I am not telling you what to do. You have your opinion and I have mine. Both opinions are valid as they are opinions and nothing more.

Crowdie

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This should be fun:

[​IMG]