6/22: Laredo Heat at Austin Aztex, 7:30 PM @ House Park

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Parrothead FC, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last five for Aztex: D-D-L-L-L
    Last five for Heat: D-W-W-W-W

Tonight is our second of three consecutive games against the Heat, and the only home game in that stretch. We've yet to beat the reigning league runners-up.

Does anyone have any updates on our injuries?

2. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've not heard anything other than what the Aztex have reported. The good news is we may have Rocha and Lisch back tonight, which would give us great protection in the back and a proven goal scorer. I haven't heard that the Heat have anyone out, so they're coming in at full strength.

We're going to need as many voices as we can get supporting the Aztex. I would actually love to see us supporting our players more, and going after the Heat less. It's easy, especially against teams that have caused us problems (Laredo, El Paso). However, I'd like us to cheer more for our side.

Just my 2 cents.

3. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an ugly win, but a needed one. El Paso hammered New Orleans, unfortunately, so we're still tied with them for second. And if they win their game tomorrow, we'll be in third, but with a game in hand.

I wish I could say the win will be a confidence booster, but I don't think it was a decisive enough win to be that. Still, beating Laredo is an important notch in our belt for sure.

My man of the match vote goes to our goalkeeper, what was his name?

4. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Devin Cook. He made 3 crucial saves in that match for that much needed win and breaks that losing streak. And it was great seeing Kekuta Manneh back on the scoring sheet....thanks in part of Laredo's GK. ;)

Now the next 2 road matches next week will be the big test as we go back to Laredo on Wednesday June 27 8:15 pm and at New Orleans on Saturday June 30 7 pm. Our last home match is on Friday July 6 at 7:30 pm against West Texas.

Parrothead FC repped this.
  5. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Paso ended up losing yesterday's game to the Dutch Lions 2-1. So that's good news for us, still tied for second on points and we've got a game in hand.

6. pomintex

pomintex Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Yes but they have the easier run in. We have several road games to play and just one at home, plus we still have to go to EP. Thought we battled hard for the win against a talented Heat, and Devin Cook had a blinder... keep him in !

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our remaining games:

Wednesday at Laredo
    Saturday at New Orleans
    (^ cross-Texas road trip!)
    July 6 here vs. West Texas
    July 8 at El Paso
    July 14 at New Orleans

El Paso's remaining games:
    at West Texas
    Then three at home -- Austin, Texas DL, and Laredo.

As you say, our road is tougher because it's almost entirely on the road. On the plus side, New Orleans hasn't been that good at home, so we could get points there. But we first need to come up with something against Laredo Wednesday.

New Orleans seems to be rolling dice in their games.
    They tie us two games here.
    Then promptly lose to Texas Dutch Lions home and away.
    Ten days later, they spank Texas 6-1, three days later get run off the pitch by El Paso 5-1, then two more days later hold Laredo to a 3-3 tie.