31st Fixture: March 29th, 2014- Crystal Palace FC vs Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suspect we'll either win or at least get a draw against Liverpool but I'm not sure it's going to matter in the long run.

To me, that sums up the problem :(

2. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it's a little harsh to put much of the blame on Mourinho. Even with the team that was deployed, there is no excuse for the players when we lose to Crystal Palace. It was a very fragile performance mentally, and I think it went on to show that the team is not yet mature enough to be champions as Jose has been saying all along. My only criticism was the lack of Willian coming off the bench; thought he could've made a difference today.

I suspect we'll get some sort of result against Liverpool; big games have not been our problem. The players really seem to have a hard time getting up for these supposedly easy games, especially when there is a little added pressure or expectation, i.e., winning the title. And as always, it was difficult making clear cut chances against a team that plays everyone behind the ball. I think we'll see a whole different team next season when it comes to our mentality and overall "swagger" for these types of games. One of those times where we need to just get on with it and look forward to the next game.

Wrath and JediSoccer repped this.
  3. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If/When this team understands that they must beat bottom feeders just as much as top teams, they'll be a danger. Until then, 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Oh, and we need a striker.

cokeyounut repped this.
  4. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sigh
    Well
    we blew it
    against villa and palace we should have got at least 4 points [if not six] and instead we got 0 - zero.
    so I guess we shall just have to win the Champions League now :)

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They mention David Luiz, Fernando Torres, Demba Ba, and Frank Lampard but, of those, I can imagine David Luiz improving. The other ones, sadly, probably aren't so, on that basis alone, it would be better if they left.

Maybe keep Frank around as a sort of elder statesman for the younger guys and to play out time in games where we're ahead to give people a rest? A bit like Giggs did a few years back.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    can't see that being a viable option with the wages Lamps is on currently

I thought we would see 2-3 in and 2-3 out but that number may have to change if we continue to play like we did today

8. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Really awful performance… still amazes me how we can go from winning big games to capitulating against sides like Villa and now CP.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, hang on... I thought his contract ran out at the end of this season? Maybe I've got that round my neck though.

10. m_vandersee

m_vandersee Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this article from last May says it was a 1 year deal
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/22548313

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Jose stopped by the Palace dressing room after the match to congratulate the players and Pulis

quite amazing that did not make the headlines as they are too busy focusing on him telling off a boy ball for time wasting

:rolleyes:

12. Holofernes the pedant

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Mourinho's still charming after the loss, apparently, which is quite nice of him. He didn't seem that critical of Chelsea's players as such, although that side of things seems to have been emphasised more than it was in the original. That said, it does seem that the 'balls' reference later on would actually be more noteworthy than the actual incident.