3 months, 2000 posts, 0 players - continuing Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bandwagongooner, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN write up on Nacho:

The 26-year-old Monreal will fit seamlessly at Arsenal. He has an elegant blend of being a tough tackler and a technically gifted player on the ball. His positioning is excellent, while his decision-making has placed him firmly on the radar of Spain's "big two" for a number of years.

Good in the air, difficult to knock off the ball, with an eye for a killer ball – that sums up Monreal. If the bigwigs at the FA could conduct an experiment to blend the skillful brilliance of the world champions with a sturdy, typical Englishman, they would arrive at something resembling Nacho Monreal.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/3056?cc=5901

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with you about Giroud, but the Podolski - Giroud - Walcott - Cazorla - Wilshere quintet does a fine job of creating chances. We created a gazillion against Liverpool even after going behind. Which is the main conundrum here: we keep going behind early. The solution here is simple: STOP GIVING UP EARLY GOALS.

Romfordray repped this.
  3. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I couldn't disagree more. Gibbs is actually quality and still young. The guy has only had a few bad games this year and Nacho's presence could force him to step it up even more.

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    not quite. i'd have preferred a stay at home dm who maybe saw himself more as an integral part of the defensive unit. that was not song.

5. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    gibbs isn't bad, but his defending isn't particularly good, by and large. he has his defensively great moments, but they are only moments. we needed more solidity on the defending side of things.

6. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

When I saw his name was Nacho, I thought of this immediately.

Grand_Rapids_Gunner and Rojinegro1 repped this.
  7. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    they're all saying similar. apparently he has very good concentration, something we seem to lack at times.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the issue is organisation and not individual players. We need somebody who has the means to work on them as a unit. This sounds odd, but get Tony Adams in as the coach.

9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup.

10. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please by the signing, but it seems that if Gibbs hadn't gotten hurt we weren't going to make any moves.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gibbs a bit farther up the pitch, but that would only really work if we were playing a 4-4-2.

11. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    or with wingbacks and a back 3

12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manager or just an assistant. If manager... I dont want to think about it.

13. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Gibbs gets back it'll be interesting to see who gets the majority of the starts at LB if Nacho plays well. On the plus side, we have 2 quality(based off the previously posted write up on Nacho, but having never seen him play) back up fullbacks now. 2 deep at those positions if you will. After the initial excitement of something actually happening, i'm happy with the signing, hopefully having Arteta and Santi on the team will help him adjust.

R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WoodDraw repped this.
  15. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IMHO we have seen enough of Gibbs to know that he's quality offensively, but defensively he's always going to be a liability. The Nacho signing is little different from the Sagna signing back when people though Eboue could be world class one day, those complaining about how Nacho will kill Gibbs's career will almost certainly shut up once they see how much of an upgrade we are getting.

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A spotty defender who offers nothing going forward, sounds like Gibbs to me. I'm hoping Nacho is a significant upgrade. Now if only Sagna can rediscover his form.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  18. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the end of the final match of last season vs WBA sums up Gibbs pretty well, defensively atleast. He was out of position and his guy got past him, but he has great speed and was able to get back and make a CL saving tackle. Spotty and undisciplined, but is capable to masking generally it with his speed. Speaking of this video, it'd be nice to have Yossi around this season.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pushing toward 30, breaking the same leg twice....he may not ever rediscover it.

20. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I disagree, but the true point is he has not been replaced and we need something in the hole he left. I think most can agree with that.

21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, you got that right.....

22. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still recall that tackle & since then I have become a big fan of this dude. He really saved our CL. So from what I gathered Nico wont be playing for us in a CL right? is there any exception?

23. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another buy this summer is the QPR goalkeeper...Juilio Cesar lots of experience....out gaoli seems to be very shaky as of late....

24. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just happy we signed somebody.