3 months, 2000 posts, 0 players - continuing Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bandwagongooner, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if every journalist from last window just replaced the name M'Vila with Villa this window in the same story.

2. GunnerGren

GunnerGren Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Sweden
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Of course it's a huge assumption. It's not like a transfer thread would be very interesting if noone was allowed to speculate or make assumptions. I just think it's more fun to assume that the core of young high potential players that are in the squad are there for the long run and that it's possible to build around them than assuming that every decent player will allways leave as soon as other teams call them up...forever and ever....

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should card you for this.

4. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @askomartin
    Fernando Amorebieta del Atl Bilbao se acerca al Arsenal.

According to Arsenal-mania, we are closing in on Amorbieta of Atl Bilbao. Apparently someone who got sent off 11 times.

5. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hm. Just read his club has not offered him a new contract. Sounds like an Arsenal signing.

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You've been holding off since April 2008 :D

daedalus and BTV802 repped this.
  7. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    squillaci has turned down moves to a few clubs, brighton and a couple in france.
    so at his age he is prepared to waste 6 months not playing football purely for the extra cash at arsenal.
    what is it with footballers these days? have they no pride?

8. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    4 yellows/1 red in 11 games this season. i can't remember much about him, but his stats say his passing and tackling are ok, interceptions and clearances are good, but heading doesn't look brilliant (he wins under 60% of headers he challenges for. that seems a bit of a worry for a 6foot3 cb)

9. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://www.itv.com/sport/football/a...amorebieta-heading-out-of-the-san-mames-door/

"no stranger to a horrendous foul," Check.
    "the worst disciplinary record in the history of Spanish football." Check.
    "Recklessness is the key issue, diving into tackles minutes late. In addition to delaying his arrival at the ball, Amorebieta is liable to take the easy road, and foul players cynically rather than take the more sensible action of chasing them or legitimately challenging them." Check.
    "But this side of his game rarely outweighs his poor decision making, which can cost goals and dismissals." Check.
    "Unfortunately, however good he might be, most clubs will conclude that a man who is sent off three times a season, missing upwards of ten games, is a luxury they cannot afford". Check.

PERFECT!

10. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is typical for the Post Invincibles time period. I call it the Denilson-Almunia Era. Sublime personnel decisions be le boss.

11. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    we need that like we need a hole in the head, and certainly not in yet another defender.

12. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I prefer to think that way as well, but reality as we know it or at least the current trend we have seen suggests otherwise.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I get it. He will never get this much money again. Kind of hard to throw that away.

14. Starksas

Starksas Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    nah, this is just stupid. Christopher Samba is not a player who should be making 5 million a year. I really hope QPR gets relegated.

16. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    less than 8 hours left..............

no worthwhile signings and i'm going full on "wenger out", win lose or draw, cl qualification or not.

R9Kevinr9 and DaPrince84 repped this.
  17. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We'll get your seat on the train ready.

18. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    ticket was bought ages ago. i've just been standing on the platform, knowing the journey needed to be made, watching all the people arriving at the station and hopping on.

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. ardee

ardee Member

Sep 30, 2011
    I agree with the guy above. Qualifying for the CL is not the issue right now, the long term health and image of our club is. Three possibilities:

1) He had 50 million and ACTUALLY couldn't find anyone to buy. Possibility? 2/100.

2) He had 50 million and him and the board just chose not to spend it in order to increase the profits. 49/100.

3) He had no money to spend and just lied to the fans about it. 49/100

Either way it's disgusting.

21. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    btw. i'm going to make a prediction that those ^ feelings i have are shared by thousands of arsenal fans. no suitable signings and wenger will be gone by the end of the summer.

22. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i don't. over his career he's almost certain to have made £5m+ minimum. if that's not enough to last him then he has financial management issues.

23. Lemartes

Lemartes Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Couldn't hurt for him to get a little more, though.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    maybe he does?

or maybe he just wants to live out his last big contract as he has planned this money for his retirement. Idk, I just wonder how many of us would willingly halve our salaries. I doubt any of us would.

I want dude gone, and if he isnt gone before the transfer window, then Arsenal should consider buying him out, but I get Squillaci's stance.

25. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    can't be much heart in him if you've already made a crapload of money and still put that ahead of what you supposedly (should) love doing.