29/1/2011 - Asian Cup Championship - Australia vs. Japan

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by REALfootballRulez, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That will be a big blow for you guys! Good little player that guy. Though you still have quality attacking threats in Honda & Endo.

2. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thats a big concern for you guys. I'm hoping he'll be ok. I've seen him playing for Dortmund and was wanting to catch a bit of him this tournament.

3. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    That sucks. I hope he comes up for the game. I like watching him play!

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What front page news?? Japan's big win is not on Yomiuri AT ALL!

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/

5. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Thanks . But now ,his injury seems not to be serious so he can probably play against Aussie.
    [Japanese source] http://www.sponichi.co.jp/soccer/news/2011/01/26/kiji/K20110126000127840.html
    I am sorry I worry you guys unnecessarily :p

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, no wins in a decade. I also thought IF the Socceroos play their best they should be able to beat Japan but Japan is very capable of winning if the Socceroos don't rise to the occasion.

It will be tough to score on them at all. The Socceroos have only allowed one goal all tournament.

7. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh, now acording Japanese BBS, TV news said Kagawa broke bone of Metatarsus.
    I don't know which is true, but now I must sleep, so I can't update information, sorry.

8. Fushida

Fushida Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Canada
    hahahahahahahaha

9. Kigai

Kigai Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably the dream final for the AFC - the continent's top two coming head to head, although South Korea are unlucky not to be here having drawn with both Australia and Japan already but in the end I guess there can only be two... should be interesting to see who the bookies have as favorites for this match. I guess it would be Australia slightly ahead due to their superiority in recent head-to-head clashes between the two.

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it could be because Sasa Ognenovski says the Aussies have an edge over the Japanese because they are bigger:

Giant Socceroos centre-half Sasa Ognenovski, who plays his club football in South Korea, believes size does matter, and that the aggressive Australians will have an edge on the Japanese when the decider kicks off in the early hours of Sunday morning, Sydney time.

''I think we can beat Japan,'' said the Asian Footballer of the Year, who led his club, Seongnam, to the Asian Champions League title late last year.

Ognenovski said his personal experience of playing in Asia made him sure that, despite all the talk of bigger, stronger Asian teams, the Australians would at least have a physical edge to exploit.

He said he knew from ''past clashes, even in the Champions League games we've played, they're intimidated by big bodies and the aggression that's shown by the Aussie players, at the ball obviously not the man. Hopefully, we can take that into the final and win.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/footbal...-japanese-says-ognenovski-20110126-1a5fn.html

We'll see if Sasa can back up his BIG talk. LOL!

12. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Premiere

Premiere Member

May 23, 2005
    Ahahahahahahaahhahaha

Btw, I know Australia lacks Kennedy, but anybody else?

I think this final can be much more exciting with a several more rest days and injured players who are sadly out. Now it is, I think Austalia has to win.

14. Premiere

Premiere Member

May 23, 2005
    As for Kagawa, here is the article in German, but anyway Kagawa is already conformed to be out. This is the official confirmation from Japan's football association.

Nakazawa - Regular CB. Injured.
    Tanaka - Regular CB. Injured.
    Kagawa - Regular WG. Injured.
    Matsui - Regular WG. Injured.
    Morimoto - Perhaps Regular CF. Received the operation.
    Kurihara - Reserve CB (yet the second choice). Injured.
    Makino - Reserve SB. Injured.
    Sakai - Reserve SB. Injured.

Sigh.

15. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Pity, Kagawa didn't get to feature for the final match. Nonetheless, Japan has enough depth within their squad to play as usual without Kagawa's presence.

Expect to see a thrilling final match!

16. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    can you confirm that matsui wont play in the final? i only have 2 transfers left in my fantasy team and now i have to replace kagawa and matsui.

17. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    One bookmaking firm in Aust opened the game at Aust and Japan $2.50 each with a draw at $3 (normal time). Today Aust have come into $2.30, but it is an Aust b/m co.

18. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Aust and Japan seem to get drawn a lot in Group stages of Tournaments, but knock out is a different stage There is a good rivalry between the 2 with Aust having an edge in terms of results since the 2006 WC.

Good luck to Japan from the Aussies.

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times have they met since 2006 and what was the score of the last meeting and where was it played?

If you have it can you post the results of their meetings since then?

20. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We met twice during the final phase of WC2010 qualifying. 0-0 in Japan then 2-1 to the 'roos in Australia.

21. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Matsui already left Qatar more than 1 week ago... ;)

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you just type in Australia vs. Japan on Google you get youtube highlights of 3-1 Socceroo win 1/22/07. Has Japan EVER beaten Australia??

Australia is catching up in the voting here!

23. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The last time they beat us was twice in 2001. Since then I'm pretty sure we've only played each other three times (WC06, WC2010 qualifying) resulting in two Australia wins and 1 draw.

24. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    eh? By penalties last Asian Cup wasn't it? Short memories!

25. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Lol, forgot about that one! :eek: