25 Years Ago Today...

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by HollandsComet, Feb 20, 2012.

1. HollandsComet

HollandsComet Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Raytown, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5/25/88: Game 6, 1988 MISL Western Division Final series. The San Diego Sockers evened the series at 3-3 with a 6-1 thrashing of the Comets before 10,121 at the Sports Arena in SD. The Sockers scored four--count 'em--four power play goals, one of them by Branko Segota, his 23rd and final playoff goal vs. KC, the most-ever scored against the Comets by one player in postseason. This one was ugly from start-to-finish for the Comets, and Chris Hundelt (cousin of Kevin) received a red card in the 3rd quarter for boarding and never played in the MISL again after that. Shots on goal were just as lopsided as the score: SD 40, KC 12.

Joey Tee repped this.
  2. HollandsComet

HollandsComet Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Raytown, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5/28/88: Game 7, 1988 MISL Western Division Final Series. The dream came to an unmerciful end on a Saturday night in San Diego, as the Sockers eliminated the Comets with an 8-5 win in front of 12,884 at the Sports Arena. SD built a 6-2 lead early in the 4th quarter and the Comets just couldn't keep up in this final postseason meeting between the two teams (Sockers led 12-5, all-time). Jan Goossens had the hat trick for the Comets and Tasso Koutsoukos had the other two Comet goals in his final MISL career game. It was also the final game in a Comets uniform for Armando Betancourt, Duncan MacEwan, Chris Hundelt, Cacho and Tonnie Wareman, and the final postseason game for goalie Ed Gettemeier and forward Damir Haramina as Comets. Brian Quinn had a hat trick for San Diego and Paul Dougherty scored twice.

See y'all again next fall...

Joey Tee repped this.
  3. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Wait a minute you said last game Chris Hundelt never played another game in the MISL.

Just letting you know I'm paying attention!

4. HollandsComet

HollandsComet Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Raytown, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are SO right--nice catch! Brain fart on my part. Chris Hundelt couldn't have played in Game 7 even if he wanted to because of the red card he received in Game 6. The Comets got way better mileage out of his cousin Kevin in the ensuing years.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

5. JimFossell

JimFossell Member

Feb 25, 2013

In the scope of Kevin Hundelt's career, the Comets didn't get that much mileage out of him as he only played there three seasons (88-89, 89-90 and 90-91) out of his 14-season career. On the other hand, compared to Chris Hundelt's one season, I suppose they did.