Alert: 25 to Houston (Camp Strudel)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jan 6, 2013.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that Jamaica goal was huge. HUGE. Herc had 3 goals in 11 games (10 starts). Not off the charts good, but not bad either. 2 in WCQ, the winner against Jamaica and insurance against A&B. And one against Brazil is always nice.

G/A in 2012:
    Dempsey: 6/1
    Donovan: 3/1
    Gomez: 3/0
    Bradley: 2/2
    EJ: 2/1
    Boca: 2/0
    Jones: 1/3
    Zusi: 1/1
    Fabian J: 0/2

That's it for players having more than 1 of either, or at least 1 of both. EJ had far less PT than any of the other guys on the list (even Landon). EJ was productive and active when we needed it, he deserves his spot. Certainly over Shea/Torres/Beasley at LM.

Still, not having Landon messes things up: Landon and EJ wide, Clint + Gomez/Jozy in the box, with Mikey and Jones in MF. Fabian at left fullback. That is a really nice squad.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No doubt. He hit a good ball, and put it on target, which is his job, but I am firmly in the camp that the Jamaican keeper completely screwed the pooch on that one. At that level it absolutely should have been saved.

I give him more credit for the goal he created in Jamaica and the play he made to set up the goal vs. Guatamala before I give him credit for a great goal vs. Jamaica.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, I'm not in camp to determine who is excelling and who is not, this is how I would line-up the team based on my limited insight of camp performance.

First Half Line-up:
    --------------Johnson-----Agudelo-------Gatt-------------
    ------------------Bedoya--------------Zusi-------------------
    ------------------------------Beckerman---------------------
    Morrow------------------------------------------------Beitashour
    --------------------Besler--------------Gonzalez--------------
    -----------------best of the Hall/Hamid/Johnson------------

Second Half Line-up: (insert: best of Evans/Davis/Feilhaber in camp, Morales, Mix, Wondo, Bruin)
    ------------Wondolowski-----Bruin------Gatt---------------------
    ----------------------Mix------------best of Evans/Davis/BF-------
    -------------------------------Morales--------------------------------
    Morrow---------------------------------------------------Beitashour
    ----------------------Besler-------------Gonzalez----------------
    -------------------------------same keeper------------------------

Unused: two of the GKs, Lade, Parke, De la Garza, Beltran, two of Evans/Davis/Feilhaber, Buddle

Analysis:
    -Lade, Parke, De la Garza, Beltran, and Buddle are all in camp to provide cover, gain experience, and round out the numbers, but I would not put any in the game.
    -Evans, Davis, and Feilhaber are in competition for one advanced midfield slot; and the three keepers are in competition for the #3 spot on the USMNT. In each of these positions, there would only be one winner.
    -The back-four of Besler, Gonzalez, Beitashour, and Morrow should be set to go 90.
    -I really want to see what Johnson, Agudelo, Bruin, Zusi, Diskerud, Bedoya, and Wondolowski can do. So, they each get a half.
    -Also, while I would have brought in McCarty, O' Brien, Kitchen, or Cronin...we have Morales, and I do not want to see Beckerman go the full 90 at CDM. So, I would sub him in either at the half too or at the hour mark.
    -The rest of the positions, I would give each of the guys a half to show case their stuff with only Gatt probably going the full 90.
    -I would still have one sub left... if one the guys not picked )Lade, Parke, etc... + the losers of the advanced midfield and goalkeeper spot) really made a case for themselves, and I was really impressed by their diligent work in camp, I'd give them some garbage minutes after the 80 minute mark.
    -Captain Nominees: A lot depends on camp, but my nominees would be Gonzalez, Besler, Beckerman, or Zusi; with Beckerman as my first choice (he's got the most experience besides Johnson and Feilhaber who are not captain material, IMO). I would also consider Wondolowski, Johnson, Bedoya, Morrow, Beitashour, Evans, Davis, or Feilhaber if they were just absolutely outstanding in camp.

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Eleven Bravos lineups and analysis. But I want to get Davis, Feilhaber, and Mix all on the field.I'd start one of the lefties (Davis or Feilhaber) next to Zusi in the first half. Doesn't matter to me, say Davis. As I think Benny is a tad more versatile at this level.

In half #2, if you want to stay 4-3-3, let Mix be RCM and Feilhaber LCM. Bedoya can play RW. Or, let Feilhaber play LW, move Wondo to RW and Bedoya play in the middle. Might want to have a look at a 4-4-2 as well. Let Wondo and Bruin play up top together, Beckerman at DM, and let Benny, Bedoya and Mix interchange the 3 AM spots.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cardiff took Eddie Johnson aside and assigned a coach to teach tactics and touch--basically things US soccer and FCD neglected. He then went on and demonstrated his improvement during the last third of the season with Cardiff. He followed up with a fine showing in Greece--Aris tried to buy him from Fulham. He had nice cameo against the Netherlands in a friendly. Really lost a lot of money showing up in Mexico out of shape(if this the correct story) and then having to come back to MLS. If he'd been brought up in a proper system he could have been a fullback in a top 4 Euro league. But he's certainly shown himself to be a handy winger and possible wide mid at international level.

Nothing too transformative if one is paying attention. Really an object lesson in the spotty youth development opportunities then available to even the creme de la creme of American players.

6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and just basic understanding of tactics as well. a natural way to move around the field and position oneself to play better.

this is why we rarely have anyone go to italy in the serie A. michael bradley is the first really successful player there.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Looking forward to seeing what EJ's ceiling is with the National Team. I doubt he'll be able to use his dribble to pound on opposition defenders of quality teams as happened in the previous round. He is however good in possession with his dribble, makes excellent runs and of course has the pace and strength. Once he gets the ball into the attacking 3rd he can pass to one of the more incisive ball handlers and then roll towards the goal to attack any returning passes or crosses. That's how I see him being effective against more powerful opposition.

8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    You also forgot to mention he is not that bad with his head. IF we can provide any decent aerial service he can make defenses pay.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Well even with him Italy was his third European league. Quite a bit of development happened before he reached Serie A.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Well I did mention crosses. But expanding on that, if he's playing in midfield he can really dominate on aerials from the back.