Alert: 25 to Houston (Camp Strudel)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guaranteed we also see Maurice Edu as well - who is probably sorely out of match fitness by now.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are going to use events in the box as a measure of attacking activity, of the attacking 4:
    EJ =7
    Dempsey = 3
    Gomez=2
    Zusi = 2 (at the edge)

3. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are correct.

I'm not making my point clear enough, I suppose. If you look at EJ's events and ball-contacts, it is overwhemingly along the wings, not in the center, as one would expect of a true striker -- which EJ has been most of his career and most folks view EJ as a striker. EJ's events look very much like Zusi's and very different from a striker like Gomez or an attacking central mid (perhaps even a second striker) like Dempsey, both of whom had most events centrally.

EJ was tasked by JK to play as a winger in a 4-3-3. Yes, that's different from the standard winger in a 4-4-2. But it's also different from a striker in a 4-3-3 or in a 4-4-2. JK hasn't used EJ as a true striker so far. Of course, the sample size of 2 games is small, and things could change. But so far EJ hasn't been used as a striker by Klinsi.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seems clear enough to me. Let me add,

We need to move beyond the fast = wing, scorer= striker paradigm.

I've given up on 433's with wings who cannot score. A wing who can score with his head is great. If the ball is played down the right, Eddie on the left does not have to be fast to get his head on the ball, he just has to get position on his guy and head the ball. If Eddie is getting marked out of a game for lack of wide speed, we have Shea on deck.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    EJ is a winger at international level. He's showed well moving the ball up the flanks since his Aris days[though he was played as a striker there]. In 4231(4411) he can dominate mids in the air and he's lethal in the air when rushing in on goal from midfield. He's got a nice dribble, excellent pace, and strength.

Would probably be better off in 4231(4411) than 433 as his game imo is a bit further from goal.

At international level he's a bit like CJ Sapong at MLS level. The instincts and shooting around the area aren't good enough to be a predator like a Herc or Dempsey. He's not a true center forward like Gordon or Boyd. And he's not an isolation player like Altidore.

Excellency repped this.
  6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that EJ has not been used as a CF. He has ben used (very effectively) as a LF/RF in both WCQs.

My point was that EJ's in the box events was not really low for a CF despite the fact that he played wide. Putting EJ wide turned out to be a very good call by JK. EJ not only scored in the box off headers but he was also very effective in stretching the defense wide and exploiting his defender 1v1.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Edu will get called up next month, I know he got called up for the Russia friendly but our game against Honduras will be an inportant WCQ not a friendly.

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. EJ's offensive contributions from that attacking left flank role exceeded the contributions of the player he replaced, Jose Torres. Getting a more dangerous scoring threat into that role was a good move, one that many folks had been begging JK to do for months. It goes back to the "4 attackers" discussion that Maximum Optimal has raised over the last couple of years.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think, for THIS team... EJ is a winger. He can stretch defenses like oyu said, has gotten pretty damn good at taking guys on, He can actually cross.... and when needed he can pinch in and finish with his head! Putting him as a CF doesn't use enough of his skills. Incase we forget.... he's DAMN fast....

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    EJ wasn't exactly top of the suggestions of who should make up the '4 attackers' type threads bandied about. Mostly the team needed more than just Clint Dempsey.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bim, I think he will be called up. Just been included (later next week) for this camp kind of tips JK's hand that he hasn't given up on Edu yet. Of course if he struggles at the california camp then I can see him not getting the call for the Florida camp. Edu for not playing a lot has one major plus for the team...he can play CB as well as DM. A two way player will always be coveted.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Klinsi likes Edu for same reason as Bradley: Edu keeps goals out from is dmid position. I'm sure Boca likes having him in sight. Ironically, Edu is a great Stoke type defender which is why he cannot get a game there. They already have lots like him. I think Pulis just got him because he wanted to add to his collection.

sXeWesley, LouisZ and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Pulis going for the complete set?

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe one breaks.

LouisZ repped this.
  15. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you depend on EJ?
    He's done well once (that's all folks) for the USMNT during JK's tenure.
    I just don't have the faith in him that so many seem to have.
    If he does it again for us , then I will believe.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that is why JK is trying so hard to get Aron Johannsson, a true lefty forward.

17. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    EJ looked pretty good against both A & B and Guatemala.
    He had a good MLS season.
    If he has a good training camp and friendly in Houston he should be a candidate to start in Honduras in my opinion.

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ has played 2 times for JK. He had 2 goals and attacked down both flanks v A&B. He had an assist and attacked down both flanks v Guatemala. He is 2 for 2 not sure what more you want.

Like they say about faith, either you have it or you don't.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I.o.w., you want him to play again

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    depnd on EJ??

more like just hope he plays well. use him and see if its better than what we have been using.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depend is a bad word to use when talking about EJ. Does he deserve to be in Jan Camp? Yes. Does he deserve a spot for Honduras game? Yes.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    As much as I am not an EJ fan, the above is true. He has done everything right from the coach's perspective since September. It takes a long time for that to wash off. For the most part Gomez hasn't been nearly as productive as he was early on, but he had a huge sum of house money to cash in before he would be removed.

It is possible to run out of said capital. Ask Jose Torres.

sXeWesley and deuteronomy repped this.
  23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ is probably the most transformed and revitalized Nats team player that I have ever seen.
    It has almost been like Lazarus, up from the grave. I never wanted to see him again, even thought the Seattle situation was dubious, and then when he got called up it seemed perhaps an honorarium. He has performed well in the matches I have watched.

One other saving grace for Eddie, he's never gone under the knife. His athletic package is completely in tact. (all this being said, I'm still waiting for the bubble to burst and Cinderella and her slippers and coach turn back into the stepdaughter, lol )

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Its bound to happen. Put EJ in one of those situations that Jozy was in and ask him to produce. Put him on an island without attacking help in Azteca or Sasprissa. Suddenly it won't look as flowing vs inferior opponents at home or a Caribbean Island other than Jamaica.

Foolishness repped this.
  25. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, Jozy can't score when you put him on an island filled with enemies with no bridge in sight.

Berks repped this.