Alert: 25 to Houston (Camp Strudel)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jan 6, 2013.

1. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but that was in a 433. A left winger in a 442 is a different position.

2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fair point. But if you look at EJ's touches and passes from the match chalkboard, he had only 3 touches inside the opposing penalty box. That's not typical of a striker, either. He was very wing-oriented.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-10-12-atg-v-usa/chalkboard

3. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was said during Jurgens interview on Fox Soccer when the roster was introduced.

4. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tragedy.

5. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I get what you're saying. I've been an Adu Zealot in the past. I understand his exclusion on one hand but I feel like there's still a case for him to get a call up even if its not the strongest case. I'd like to see him included over some of the golden year players. We've all seen the video of all the "big chances" he's created so it's not like he isn't capable but I get that there still much room for improvement and perhaps he's not producing enough tangible stats to force his way into camp.

My comment was made in jest though. I wanted him in the camp but I wasn't shocked to see him excluded. I want to see him perform at the level of his ceiling and not at the level of mediocre player his stats suggest. If/when he gets there then I think he'll be a strong, impacting player that we want all our players to be.

6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can almost with certainty say that freddy adu will never be on the USMNT ever again and may be out of soccer sooner than later. one can hope.

7. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? I'd actually like to see Freddy called into camp and dare I say qualifying. Freddy is not and should not be a starter, but is best used as an offensive #10 sub. We have very strong central midfielders that are well-rounded, but I wouldn't describe any of them as a #10. Mix has the potential to evolve into this player for us and I'd like to see him selected more often, just as I'd like to see Freddy selected more often. Freddy will never be someone to place in the game when we're trying to protect a one-goal margin while sustaining heavy pressure, but I can't think of many other players I'd rather have in our current pool to break down a bunkering defense.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quote above is exactly why I cant wait for him to retire so we never have to hear this rubbish again.

terrible terrible player.

Beerking repped this.
  9. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How is he a terrible player? You can certainly question his mental toughness, work rate, and attitude, but his offensive skill has always been very high.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no it isnt.

all of the things you just listed is why he is absolutely terrible. being really good at one thing in soccer is worthless.

especially if the player isnt even willing to work on his deficiences.

cant wait for the adu saga to end. i have more faith in ben lederman at this point.

11. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would him being done with the sport make you feel good? Would it make you feel like you were "right" about him all along?

I dont understand this attitude towards athletes. You dont rate him? Okay, no problem, no need to wish failure upon him. The more players we have that can figure it out, the better our USMNT will be. Wishing failure on players is useless.

Does he deserve to be called in right now? Probably not. Would I have been shocked to see him in this camp? No, not at all. It is a January camp after all.

12. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for your insightful comment and expert opinion on the matter; I now see the error in my judgement.

Regardless of how Freddy has played for his club he's always done very well for the National Team, which is admittedly few and far between. Am I the only one who remembers how he played in the Gold Cup?

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was never that good. everyone got excited that he could do tricks. he would kill at indoor soccer. him and tatu would do well together.

tired of hearing about this one trick pony. so many more deserving players we should discuss.

14. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then choose not to discuss him. Others on this message board are free to discuss as they please. Your hatred for him is actually quite amusing. Did Freddy post a twitpic of your girlfriend or wife having drinks with him in a Philly night club? Were they a little too close for comfort?

Unless he has done something to you personally, wishing failure upon him is silly.

I hope Freddy can sort himself out, and become the best American player ever. I also hope Mix and Gatt and Gyua pan out and become better than Dempsey, Donovan and Reyna. Will they? Doubtful, but I dont wish failure upon them so I can be proven correct.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not wishing failure. im defining him as a failure. this is my discussion of him. he will be 24 soon.

the english had the same issue with david bentley.

look him up and you will see freddys future.

16. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "tricks"? If you mean hat-tricks I agree. Freddy is the only player (ever) to ever score hat tricks in both the u-17 and u-20 World Cups.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haahahahahahahahahahahaha...then freddy played players that knew how to defend....

18. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chortle. He made Puyol look silly the only time they met.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just don't get it. Klinsmann talks about club form, and then calls up Alfredo Morales, who's been like 6 months without playing and has played about 10 games in the last 30 months.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop trying to understand the ununderstandable.

21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really believe every little thing he says?

Martin Fischer repped this.
  22. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    You should go see a counselor. It's really not healthy to hate some one so much that you've never met. You seem to be projecting some of your issues on him.

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays and trains every week, just doesn't play with Hertha first team. He is playing at the same competition as Boyd did last year. Lets see what comes out from the camp.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  24. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsman contradicts himself often. The one constant is that he rates German/American players highly, which isn't surprising given his background.

25. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------EJ---Wondo
    -------------Benny
    Davis-----------------------Zusi
    ------------Beckerman*
    Morrow-Besler-Gonzo-Beitashour
    -----------------Hall

*whichever D-mid looks best in camp
    This line up would be awesome for getting service to two forwards who were on fire this season. I see no reason why this wouldn't be solid against Canada.