24+ teams playoff format

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by pichichi2010, Aug 2, 2013.

1. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the league moving to 24 teams by 2020, what do people hope/expect as far as playoff formatting goes? Personally, I'd like to see MLS keep the East/West conference format.

So with 12 teams per conference I'd really like to see MLS go with 6 teams per conference playoffs:

1) You could have two Supporters' shields.
    2) The two top teams get a "bye" for the first playoff round. You'd have the bottom 4 teams in a one game playoff to advance.
    3) You'd have a home and home for the semifinals.
    4) You'd have the single game MLS Cup final in a neutral site.

With this format you could have the two Supporters' shields winners and the MLS Cup champions qualify for the CCL, along with the US Open Cup winner.

If MLS down the line can participate in Libertadores or another competition, then pick from the remaining 3 playoff teams.

2. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Manderino

Manderino Member

Aug 21, 2008
    KCK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    1 vs 4 2 vs 3 East...
    1 vs 4 2 vs 3 West..
    too many teams now...too many teams in 2020

5. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First off, they need to abandon the geographic conferences (East vs West) because most of their candidate cities are east (Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, Carolina). San Antonio and Sacramento are the only two rumor candidates that are truly west, unless you want to trow in St. Louis as a "western team."

Lets say MLS concentrates on filling in the SE gap they have. Orlando City is prime candidate for #21. Then there is Team Beckhem. Given his style and reputation, Miami is most likely where he'll plant his flag. Can you really see him anywhere else outside of NYC or LA? "Hi, I'm David Beckhem and I've decided to build a team and live in Milwaukee." Not to knock Milwaukee, I love that city, but it ain't gonna happen. Miami is #22.

#23 will likely be in the Atlanta/Carolina area, in order to shore up the SE. It will make a good soccer corridor: Boston > Ney York > New York > Philadelphia > DC > Carolina/Atlanta > Orlando > Miami. It is practically an I-95 battle (I know, Atlanta/Carolina and Orlando is not on I-95, but they are close).

That leaves #24 as a toss up between all the other cities. The main point is that going geographic in conference doesn't make sense anymore. It won't work unless you are willing to call Chicago or Columbus a team in the West. They should go to something like early day MLB and have an American and National conference, or some other name that would be appropriate with the presence of Canadian teams. Bottom line is they need to drop geography.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like how St. Louis plays in the NFC West of the NFL or Chicago used to be in MLS's Western Conference?

7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    By the time we have 24 teams total, I'll finally believe we deserve a playoff field as large as 10 teams.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparing MLS to NBA, NHL, MLB, and NFL:

Western two time zones cities without MLS but with at least two of the big four:
    San Diego (has MLB and NFL)
    Phoenix (has all four)
    A second team in the San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland/Sacramento area (NHL has one and MLB, NFL, and NBA have two each)
    3 cities

Eastern two time zones without MLS but with at least two of the big four:
    Carolina (has NFL, NHL, and NBA in different parts of North Carolina)
    Tampa Bay (has NFL, NHL, and MLB)
    Miami (has NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA)
    Atlanta (has NFL, MLB, and NBA and lost NHL)
    New Orleans (has NFL and NBA)
    Nashville (has NFL and NHL)
    Buffalo (has NFL and NHL)
    Cleveland (has MLB, NFL, and NBA)
    Pittsburgh (has MLB, NFL, and NHL)
    Detroit (has all four)
    Minneapolis (has all four)
    Indianapolis (has NFL and NBA)
    Baltimore (has MLB and NFL)
    St. Louis (has MLB, NHL, and NFL)
    Milwaukee (has NBA and MLB)
    15 cities, and Cincinnati has also MLB and NFL but I'll exclude them because I don't think western Ohio needs clubs in Cincinnati and Columbus

There are five times as many in the eastern two time zones than in the western two time zones. That's why expansion is more likely in the east.

9. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope the league stays out of Atlanta. What a terrible place to put a sports franchise.

Considering the league has never had less than half the teams making the playoffs, you better be ready for a 12 team playoff format.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There should be 4 divisions of 6 teams. Each Division Champion Should make the playoffs.
    Rank them based on accumulated points, goal difference, head to head.

That would be perfect in my world.
    I know it will never happen but I can dream.

11. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Wings and Blue Jackets have played in the Western Conference for years, despite being located in EST. Thankfully it will be fixed for the upcoming season, but I don't think that's a valid argument to get rid of east/west conferences.

12. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do you guys ever think we'll get rid of the playoff format and go to a Euro type of style with just top 4 teams advancing for Champions League and then maybe another 2 teams somehow sneak in or something?

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think so.
    It makes some money and it would be difficult to decide in a single table unless every plays the same amount of games against everyone else which could be complicated for travel and such.

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 conferences of 6 teams with 2 home/away in conference and single matches out of conference for a 38 match schedule.

16 team playoff with the top 4 of 6 representing. All playoffs cross conference in the first round (A1 v D4, A2 v C3, A3 v B2, A4 v D1), home and home with away goals. Reseed for next two rounds with home and home, then the final.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That's a lot of playoff teams.

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes. Because playoffs are great.

MRschizoid21 and Achowat repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To each their own.

I'd be happy with a 4 team playoff. 8 teams at most. Anything more than that seems to water down the regular season and reward teams for just getting hot in a couple week span.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why does the regular season need to be important? It's "regular" for a reason.

MRschizoid21 repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is important to me, That is why I said to each their own.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  20. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have never understood this point of view. Care to explain it to me? Maybe I can be swayed.

21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No. League is too big/widespread for single table. The US is possible to be at a single table, in my opinion, if we had only 16 teams in MLS. Champions League is peanuts here, unfortunately. I mean, it matters, but not like Euro or South America Champions.

Plus playoffs are fun and very American (I mean in a continental sense--almost every league in the Americas uses them, I believe).

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe within Club soccer the way to judge a team is by looking at the bigger picture. Taking into account the accumulated points over a larger period of time tells me more about a soccer club than a 2-3 week span at the end of the season when teams can just tactically bunker and get lucky on some sort of Penalty kick shootout.

I think rewarding 4 teams for winning a Division is the best way to go without having a single table format.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One could also say that a playoff is a battle between the best teams instead of fattening up on inferior clubs like what you see in Europe and thus a better judge of real competiton.

MRschizoid21 repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But 16 teams out of 24 waters down that argument a bit in my world.

25. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll always be in contention that there should be fewer than 50% of teams getting into the playoffs. Average doesn't cut it--time for above-average. Right now, I wish we were at 8. When we get to 24, then 10 should be viable.

HomietheClown repped this.