23rd Fixture: February 3rd, 2014- Manchester City FC vs Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i would have argued that Essien had plenty of long range shooting in him....

but then you kind of proved that point.

2. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He could hit a ball yes.

Matic has more long-range balls in him - he has more long range passing in him. Distribution of the ball over a longer distance rather than short passing.

Matic and Essien both have a lot of energy and athletic ability - that was the gist of my point and it is true according to the stats - the distance that Matic covers on the pitch. Matic has slightly more technical ability and better long range passing. That would be my observation. They are similar imho. Similar but they are not the same. [When Matic joined the club - then Essien left - this is not a coincidence].

3. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i'm not disagreeing with any of that, and i did not intend to make it seem as though i was attacking your post. just more pointing out that essien had a tendency to hit some real screamers. i agree though, it looks as though Matic distributes the ball better, really in all ranges.

as far as Essien leaving, it was a long time coming. don't really think that Matic made that happen specifically becuase it was a like for like replacement, more just that we had another body in midfield. Essien was always going to be back up this season and it was a matter of time before he left.

either way though, the point still stands, Matic gives us a fantastic energetic, and combative presence in midfield that is something Essien used to bring as well.

BluePict repped this.
  4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hooray for competent midfield play!

BlueRebelZ repped this.
  5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah thanks

6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think too many forget how ********ing fantastic, and utterly dominant on both sides, was Ess his prime and full health.

Matic is also a great buy, twice.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is forgetting that, my point wasn't about who is better, just that the players themselves, are not very similar. The two probably would have made a great complimentary pairing imo.

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was not responding to a post by you;) just a general comment because I do think there is a view not all or even a majority, but a fair few folks who sell him short and don't recall or perhaps were not even watching us yet pre-knees or his time at Lyon or for country.

That would have been a fun pair to watch with both at their peak.

Walter3000 repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe it's that they perform a similar function but in slightly different ways?

Anyway, we're probably labouring the point now but then, it's bigsoccer, so... ;) :D

Walter3000 repped this.