23 Tickets to Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flem16, May 18, 2011.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Green's mistakes were quite bad. In particular heading the ball right into the path of one of the Mexican guys. That was brutal. The kind of mistake for which good clubs send a player to the bench for a while. See 2:14 :

Doesn't matter where in the field you are. There are mistakes and mistakes. Dropping the ball to the feet of a rival with a clear path on goal is suicide, even if it happens past midfield. The whole team is thrown out of whack. And that was not his only big boo-boo. I recommend a re-watch to spot the bad decisions, the dangerous turnovers, the errors in judgment when he went forward until he was surrounded, instead of being more part of a team.

Green has to show a lot more if he wants to have a real shot. I think we all can agree with that.

2. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Edu played pretty damn well in the last three games when they counted.

3. StlDon

StlDon Red Card

Sep 17, 2013
    KCMO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I've read enough posts of yours to believe you don't do your homework before you post your thoughts.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least LD is a better defender than Green :D

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Donovan is taking his sweet time to retreat, in part due to the knee still nagging him. I think the most defensive option on the right at the moment is Bedoya, who's covering a lot of ground with Nantes. Donovan ideally comes in as a second striker replacement for an underperforming Dempsey, or in a 4-4-2 pairing with someone like Wondo at the top. As a winger to cover a lot of field, it depends how he's doing by then. At the moment, if playing a 4-2-3-1 with wing guys covering the fullbacks, Fabian in front of Parky and Bedoya in front of Cameron are probably our most defensive options.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Green is in no way better than Donovan. He may be in a year, but right now, he has no characteristics that are better.

Mr Martin and Berks repped this.
  7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur

8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4583 Berks, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    I've watched all the LA games. I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Questioning his form - okay, I get it. Has a basis in reality, totally understand the concern.

But of all things his defensive abilities? Huh? Not to mention for a good chunk of games he's been playing CAM/striker.

LA fans don't have problems with his defending (this year and in previous years). He's often one of the ones that does a 50 yard sprint to track back. In particular after set pieces. And we're comparing that against 1 game for Julian Green to make decisions?

Wow.

9. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's a wash at this point in regards to Donovan vs Green, but we all know that Donovan will receive the benefit of the doubt because he has seniority. Both had the same level of effectiveness(not much at all)but Green had the glaring mistake that cost a goal.

Since it looks like JK is gonna stick with the 4-2-3-1, it's important that he utilizes wing players that will track back to help defend diligently so Jones/Bradley/Beckerman, ect. aren't always left on an island getting overran by opposing attacking players. IMHO, Dempsey and Donovan will only last 45 minutes, if that, playing both sides of the ball. Something will suffer(the defense). Neither playing Green nor Dempsey/Donovan is idealistic. Portugal and Germany will make us pay. They are younger on the flanks.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Frankly, I'm more concerned about the Bradley/Jones pair, if those are the two starting. They both go forward, and leave far too much space in front of our weak (by comparison) defense. We may concede a goal on the wings, but the real disaster may come through the middle.

RCool repped this.
  11. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think there's a solution for the formation(s) that JK wants to utilize. At this point, it's looking like a hope and pray everything goes right situation. We're out of time for experimentation.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Per the Panini Official Licensed Sticker Album, these 17 players are confirmed ...

Howard, Cameron, Gonzalez, Goodson, Besler, F Johnson, Beasley, Jones, Bradley, Evans, Zusi, Diskerud, Dempsey, Johannsson, Donovan, E Johnson, Altidore.

Congratulations!

DiscoWarrior11, Germerica and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  13. RCool

RCool Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, pretty damn well is not what I would call it. He didnt play bad or anything.

But my biggest point is that was 4 years ago. I dont care what happened 4 years ago. If Bradley was still playing like he was 4 years ago he'd still be a toss up for the starting lineup today. But he improved. Edu, if anything, took a step backwards. He made one bench appearance for Stoke. ONE! Think it about it for a little while. Is their midfield any better than ours? I dont think so. His positioning is poor. His passing is poor. He loses the ball too easily. People drool over his recovery speed, but then fail to realize its because he gets beat too often. I have zero faith that he can compete in our group.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    And that's without Guzan and Rimando.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yep, but if you watch the games, you'll notice about one in four of the goals scored on us are due to wing play, another fourth in set pieces, and half are due to central defensive mess-ups. Even in the Ukraine game, the two goals they scored were -the first, the CBs were thinking about something else; -the second, they danced through the CMs and defense. Sacha or Jones is not big difference. The Germans scored two easy ones through the middle, because Jones, Bradley and Gonzo mark leaving a whole yard for the attacker to play with the ball.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. Green currently has better hair.

OGx3, DiscoWarrior11 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh.....Chandler?

As an aside, in the next cycle or two, MLS is going to have to start developing better fullbacks and in general, players who play on the flank. We're simply poor at developing flank options, whether fullbacks or wingers.

I'm a little pissed Zack Loyd's development completely stalled at FCD. Early this cycle he looked like he'd be a serious RB candidate. But, like George John and Brek, he hit ceiling at FCD. That team really is poor at developing talent. They get prospects and younger players who make a huge jump in their first 2-3 years, then they completely hit a wall.

19. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Pretty high expectations for the kid. For his first game, I thought he was ok. But I think Green has a pretty good shot; he's in my 23. Of course, it depends on him showing well in camp and in the warm-ups.

My biggest conundrum is Boyd or Wondo as the goal-getter off the bench, and I just can't make up my mind.

As I've said though, unless someone like Shea or Edu makes the roster, I don't really think there should be a whole lot of teeth-gnashing when the 23 is finalized. Good arguments can be made for almost all of the guys seriously in the mix.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    On paper, RB should be the position of least concern: even without Chandler on the map, both Cameron and Fabian Johnson play primarily RB, in clubs in two of the top leagues in the world.

LB should be (once again, on paper) of much more concern, with Beasley (a guy who plays winger or wide forward in LigaMX) and Parkhurst (a guy who plays CB in MLS) as the most likely options, and the guys playing LB with their club either sucking (Castillo) or not playing with the USMNT (Ream).

21. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You dont like FJ at LB? I dont see any reason he cant be solid there barring injury, maybe in the future use him in midfield, but I think for this WC we need him at LB not midfield.

22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    What he's trying to say is that FJ gives you cover on the right, if you need it. That said, against Ghana, I still favor playing Beas at LB, and FJ at LW.

RCool repped this.
  23. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I agree. I'd prefer him in defense. Not that he's not one of our better options in the midfield, but between Zusi, Bedoya and Donovan I feel like he's not much of an improvement on the wings, if at all. However I'm much more comfortable with him at left back than anyone else.

Perhaps against Ghana I could see Beasley and Fabian on the left. Against Portugal and Germany, however, I don't trust Beasley as a left back.

RCool repped this.
  24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Wouldn't Boyd need to, you know, score a goal for us to be considered an option as the goal-getter?

If it is between those two, Wondo goes and its not close.

Berks, Mr Martin, Suyuntuy and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Not necessarily, no. But in any case, I was leaning towards Wondo because of his track record, as well as the fact that this is his last opportunity to go to the WC, and I think he's earned it with his the career he's had. Boyd will be very disappointed, but he'll have his opportunities down the line.