22nd Fixture: January 16, 2013 - Chelsea FC v. Southampton FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think the push on Cahill was outrageous and shocked that the announcers didn't even say anything about it. It was the most blatant push i've ever seen. almost comical for there not to be a call. Regardless, Torres' appearance showed how awful he is and how useless he has become. I really don't know what to think anymore about the team. Figure with the quality that we have on the field we should be fighting for first place. Its crazy that we can't stay composed enough through 90 minutes to keep a 2-0 lead. Then again, that seems to be our story this year.

2. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well with the quality we have, you're right, we should be pushing for first. but there is a very clear reason we're not (i'm talking only about the squad here), and that is torres has not been able to step up this season, and certainly not against better opposition, and without Mikel we don't have anyone that can play DM effectively. the rest of the squad is class, but until we got Ba, and until we get mikel back or find a decent backup DM, we'll be papering over a very obvious crack that doesn't really let us defend in transition effectively, as well as link between defense and midfield all that well.

then you add to that a manager that is completely inept at dealing with these problems or finding work arounds.........

also, again on Azpilicueta, i don't remember if he was every close enough to take shaw down. and i'm not saying he was slow, at full tilt, he wasn't losing ground, the gap was maintained, but his starting position was awkward and shaw was running by him already with some speed. we're talking split second reaction times here. i'm not blaming Cesar much at all on that play. the team got exposed, didn't clear it, and got punished by a great finish. it's the first goal and the push on cahill that completely enrages me.

lobomojo and fernb8 repped this.
  3. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As a slow running man I can tell you when come up against speed, you have to play smart. He wasn't smart.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agree to disagree

but I do challenge you to a slow man race :D

The Cold Sea repped this.
  5. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Really? Agreed with the defensive part but the passing is still 50/50. THe game started out with a number of eye-catching/Hollywood passes but as the game progressed those became less eye-catching and more give aways to the opposition. He has a learned a little temperance in his defensive play but he needs to apply that to his passing game as well. Not everything is for the highlights, Sideshow.

6. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Said it just after Rafa got here but I am almost positive we will see a third manager this season and I think it will be Emenalo. Dont want it of course for a season where the goal is a 4th place finish and that seems to be beyond Rafa.

7. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's on! Get your sundials out.

fernb8 and Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  8. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    there were a couple of times he chased the ball/player up the field too before circling back and getting back in position. he REALLY wanted to get that ball apparently.

9. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Let's actually watch the goal before ripping Cesar to shreds. Sometimes a really fast and really talented player simply cuts your side apart.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/jason-puncheon-southampton-v-chelsea/

0:20 - Cesar does get beaten by a square ball and Shaw takes it in stride and bursts up the field. Chelsea looks in pretty good position here. Puncheon is a good 15 yards behind Ash. Cahill is tightly marking Lambert and Lampard is right with a So'ton midfielder.

0:24 - Cesar is just behind Shaw the entire way. Lampard and Cahill come off their respective marks and are drawn to the ball, but neither close down Shaw. Lambert drifts into the middle and is occupied by Luiz. The unidentified midfielder who was right next to Lampard four seconds ago is now steaming unmarked into the box. Ash realized this and goes to mark him, leaving Puncheon free on the backside. Ramires is loafing back without really picking up anyone or showing any hustle.

0:26 - Cahill really does poorly. He neither closes down Shaw nor stays with Lambert. Both him and Lampard are caught in no man's land. The cross goes right by Cahill, through a crowd in the area (slight deflection off a Saints player?) and right to an unmarked Puncheon, who pops it up and lashes it in with some style.

Sometimes you are just beaten. It's hard to blame Ram because even if he did fly back at full speed, he probably wouldn't have been close enough to make a difference. It's hard to blame Ash, because he was simply picking up the most dangerous free runner. I have to look at Cahill for not taking a proactive approach to the danger Shaw's run posed. I also have to look at Lampard for abandoning his mark in midfield and being drawn to Shaw... but not really doing anything to stop him. And obviously Cesar was caught upfield.

Mostly, I'd say it was a great run by Shaw, a lucky cross, and a fabulous finish from Puncheon.

stanger, The Other MJ, lobomojo and 4 others repped this.
  10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I did not see the match live but after seeing it this morn I was retroactively very surprised by the abuse towards Z RB, as said above, sometimes you are just beaten for a goal, don't need an inquest every time, he is the least of our problems and has been a great buy and shown good consistent form; I forget the minute count now (40's or 60's ???) but he delivered an absolutely stunning brilliant long perfectly paced slight curved pass to Lamp in the box that Lamp missed right with his shot.

11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep.

Sometimes you just have to give credit to the opposition. Sometimes.