2016 Presidential Primaries. (Bring out your dead).

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To bad Brown can't run from Nebraska to be a moderate Republican in a state that doesn't elect them any more. But he had to run from Massachussets, a state that could vote for Elizabeth Warren. That's why everyone is glad to see him go, esp. After that campaign he ran. It was nearly as stupid as that of the Democratic woman he beat in the run off.

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please. Spector was a moderate, and you saw what happened to him.

Brown voted REEP whenever McConnell told him to. And he voted Dem whenever the Reeps already had enough votes banked, so that he could pretend to be a moderate.

Show me one brave, bi-partisan stance he took that really mattered. Just like with Susan Collins and the ACA, it ain't gonna happen.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He voted against the Ryan budget. That has to count for something seeing that was the centerpiece of the presidential campaign, right?

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he did like Obama and his Iraq war vote, they wait until the bill has enogh votes to pass then they vote against it.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obama wasn't in the Senate when Iraq started.

GiuseppeSignori and Chris M. repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right, maybe I am thinking funding for the war.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1886211...-obama-vote-no-senate-iraq-bill/#.UJ_JTGdghWk

Yes you were right, it was the funding, not the actual war.

http://usliberals.about.com/od/liberalleadership/a/IraqNayVote.htm

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was DOA in the Senate. If it had a shot in hell of passing, you know very well he'd have voted for it.

His "nay" vote was the first act of his reelection campaign.

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we do know that.

Okay, what about his vote against defunding Planned Parenthood?

9. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Republicans definitely seem to have a deeper bench for 2016. Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio and Chris Christie are getting the (very) early buzz. But there are 30 Republican governors, and I could see any number of them running, like Bobby Jindal, Bob McDonnell or Scott Walker. I'm sure Rand Paul will run, filling his father's role as the gadfly Libertarian, but he'll never be the Republican nominee or VP. He has no establishment support; too much of a loose cannon.

I also suspect that the panicking over demographic issues will lead to a desire for diversity on the ticket. Marco Rubio is the most obvious potential benefactor from this. Susanna Martinez also comes to mind, and potentially Nikki Haley, though my understanding is she isn't really making friends in South Carolina.

For the Democrats, it seems like everyone will be in a holding pattern until Hillary decides what to do. She's going to leave the State Department soon and take some much deserved time off. I could see her running, but only if 2016 looks favorable to the Democrats. I really do think she'd win the nomination easily. Polls have her around 60% in Iowa and New Hampshire. Her the Iraq War vote will be a nonissue, the desire to break the glass ceiling will help immensely, and her gravitas from being a successful Secretary of State will help. There really doesn't seem to be a Barack Obama ready to emerge and stand in her way.

But, she very well might not run. And if she doesn't, Cuomo and O'Malley are the two guys who seem itching to run. Neither of them excite me all that much. I'd honestly be surprised if a woman didn't run. Women were around 60% of the vote in the 2008 primary, reelected the President, and now have record numbers in Congress. If Hillary doesn't run, I think Gillibrand or Klobuchar have an opening.

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Strong like Daniels and Pawlenty?

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1995, the Carolina Panthers played the other expansion team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, in the Hall of Fame game. At one point, the analyst talked about how good the Panthers' #3 running back was, how all their RBs were solid. At which point the other guy said, notice how the Cowboys have Emmitt Smith and nobody talks about their depth at RB.

The Democrats have Hillary. I, personally, think depth is irrelevant. You only get to run one candidate, and she's a heavyweight. The Republicans have depth like the Panthers had depth...they have a bunch of people who aren't hopeless at that level. But they don't have Emmit Smith.

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So you're assuming Chris Christie will have lost a lot of weight by 2016?

Boloni86 repped this.
  13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    If they are going to play him at running back, he will have to. Right now, he is that traditional nose tackle who simply falls forward into the center (and probably one or both guards at the same time) and stops any forward push.

14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agreed, but that is predicated on Hillary running. Which I hope she does, but I'm far from sure she will.

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You know, I hope she does because I like Hillary, I think she will win, and I think she would make a fine president. It would also be another historic presidency and the second in my children's lifetimes (and I'm not talking W.) But what I would really like would be the contortions we would witness from the Republicans who suddenly thought Bill Clinton was the second coming earlier this year as they shift back to the Clinton as the embodiment of evil that we had in the 90s. Fun stuff.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted the Clinton - Obama ticket in 2008.

We could have had 8 years of H Clinton followed by 8 years of Obama.

Buy hey maybe if nothing bad happens to the Economy in the next 4 years we could still get at least 4 years of Hillary right after Obama.

raza_rebel repped this.
  17. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    She is running. Why else did Bill Clinton campaign so hard for Obama?

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obama told him he was going to hook him up for the next Secret Service trip to Colombia.

raza_rebel and MtMike repped this.
  19. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I was in Colombia last month. Most of the women are fat and ugly. But then Sofia Vergara....

20. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the shout out.

The "Cain is your worst nightmare" quote was Schultz's, not mine. I supported him in the primaries initially, that's no secret. But, like most people, my preferred candidate in the primary didn't win and didn't turn out to be who he portrayed himself to be. Not a big deal, happens all the time. I would not be in favor of him running again and I don't see anyway he does.

From the GOP side, I'd love to see Pence run (although he probably won't do it since he'll be 1/2 way through his 1st term as governor when the process starts), still like Daniels, Jindal, McDonnell (although I need to learn more about him). Haley could make a stab at it, but as someone said earlier, I anticipate she'll be on the short list for VP along with Martinez of NM.

The GOP has gone through a time where we had a lot of candidates either too old or not quite ready. That's changing as we've got all these young pols with experience. Whether that impacts the POTUS race or not, we'll see.

On the Dem side, if I had to make a wager, I'd probably go with O'Malley or Cuomo. Don't know how well Villaraigosa will play nationally. Hillary will be 69 and there's an article linked to drudge today about how after 20 years, she just wants a break. I don't blame her.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen some of Bills "alledged" women, fat and ugly is what Bill prefers.

ElasticNorseman and atomicbloke repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not discount Joe Biden, specially if Hillary is not in the run.

23. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Biden would have a chance. He's ran several times before, even before he was known more for his gaffes than anything else. Plus, Joe was born in 1942, and will be 74 by inauguration day in 2017. Just don't see it.

FlipsLikeAPancake and Chris M. repped this.
  24. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...cts-measure-to-defund-planned-parenthood?lite
    Unless someone can come up with an example of Scott Brown defying GOP leadership when the outcome was actually on the line, then I'm going with "partisan hack whom McConnell periodically let off the leash to improve his reelection prospects."

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. My bad.

MtMike repped this.