2016 Presidential Primaries. (Bring out your dead).

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, Nov 4, 2012.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    She said a while ago that she only wanted to do it for Obama's first term. I could see her sticking around for one more year to transition in someone new.

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've heard rumblings that John Kerry was in for SoS, but I have no idea how serious it was.

Still, if she wants to run in 2016, she can't stay, right? My understanding is that a Secretary of State can't campaign.

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm not comfortable making a guarantee, but if the nation gets over Bush fatigue (and it clearly hasn't), his combination of conservatism, pedigree and Latino-ness will make him really attractive to the GOP.
    For what it's worth, post by Anthony in November 2010, after the GOP asswhupping:

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than a couple of the conservatives who post here (conspicuously absent now, btw) speculated about Obama getting primaried. They sooooooo wanted to pin the Carter label on him. It was, not surprisingly, dumb.
    As for the topic at issue... can Hermain Cain seriously be on that list? Really? Don't get me wrong....I'd love it....especially if it meant that Sgt. Schultz and MtMike would return to tell us once again how Cain was our "worst" nightmare....but really?
    o_O

GiuseppeSignori and taosjohn repped this.
  5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Can the Dems really start mobilizing candidates until they all know what Hillary's plan is? I would imagine the Clintons will control the large money, at least for the next 18-24 months.

6. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, though I thought Anthony was prescient in pulling out "Forward" from Feingold's speech, though in not the way he thought.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My mom has met Schweitzer a couple of times and just fawns all over him as a Democrat.

9. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She might stick around for a year more, take a break, and then declare in early 2015. We'll have another special election for Senate in Mass because John Kerry is probably Obama's guy for that cabinet spot.

10. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obama should nominate Huntsman, just to tweak everyone off a little more... ;)

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, he'd probably be a pretty good pick.

Chris M. and raza_rebel repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fish was Cartering Obama from Day 1.

It was wishful thinking of course but I could see the reason for the comparison. Two nice-guy national newbies facing difficult economies. But Obama wasn't held hostage in the Middle East, he shot his man dead. And Romney wasn't Ronald Reagan, not by a long shot, and Obama damn well knows how to run a campaign.

So nope the label didn't work.

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be a great pick. Huntsman's best shot at the Presidency is to get into (yet another) high profile position that highlights his leadership, foreign policy chops, and innovative moderate approach, wait for the GOP to bottom out and be the Republicans' Bill Clinton in 2020.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They sure as hell tried (and are probably still trying) with Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi...

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK I defended the tactic of Cartering Obama, but the Benghazi tactic was silly I still don't understand the argument -- we're supposed to have better armory at our embassies? we're not supposed to have an embassy in Libya? -- and if I don't understand it, then surely most Americans did not either. Four people dead somewhere ... yeah so?

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Believe it or not, in Todd Akin's "concession" speech, he was actually talking about how Obama could have had a seal team in there in 30 minutes, but he pulled back and let those people die. I think that is the far right argument.

17. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it really any more silly than Too Fast, Too Furious?

Or eliminating welfare work requirements?

Or Solyndra for that matter?

There are plenty of reasonable criticisms out there of Obama. But a paltry few were ever made by the GOP before and during the election. Now that it's over, how long until the next obstructionist talking point utterly ignorant of reality grinds any hope at actually addressing our problems as a nation into the dust? With FOXNews short circuiting the healing process, how long does this go on?

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  18. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Reps field looks a lot stronger

19. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I was talking to a friend about the 2016 race. He noted that the strongest GOP candidates were usually governors. Republican Party has a particular affinity for governors. I am guessing that most of the stronger candidates for the GOP will be governors.

20. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Can Kerry please just stay in the senate. I really don't want Scott Brown to be in the senate anymore. And I guarantee if there is an opening he'll run again.

21. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was one of those moderate Republicans that Dems always cry about missing. He's far more Susan Collins than Jeff Sessions

22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at his voting record, Matt.

23. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member