2016 Presidential Primaries. (Bring out your dead).

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, Nov 4, 2012.

1. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Speaking of scions, wouldn't George P. Bush have a shot if it weren't for his last name?

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night my mom and her good friend (both 70-something) remarked that Hillary needs to step down at the end of the year, take a couple years off, and get a makeover. At first, I thought they were talking about a makeover of her political persona (which i felt she had already successfully achieved), but they meant that she looked tired and out of shape. They were suggesting that she, and Chris Christie as well, needed an extended stay at some celebrity fat farm.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People saying that were clueless. No way a pro-Iraq war president was going to coast to victory in 2008.

Also, keep in mind WHY Obama is president and won reelection. There are alot of reasons, but two of the biggest are his opposition to the Iraq War, and his call on the auto bailout. If there's gonna be someone who can take on Hillary, it would have to be someone who has that kind of sledgehammer in his/her arsenal.

Matrim55 repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    He's a future Republican President of the United States, guaranteed.

6. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Castro doesn't want to come out a loser he's gotta wait. Cornyn will be up for re-election in 2014 and in 2020 he could retire, which ups the chances for Castro if its an open seat. 2018 will have the gubernatorial race which still might be too soon.

7. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For everyone talking up Hillary in 2016, she'll be 69 by then, so 73 in 2020 for re-election. Just something to consider.

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And as pointed out by GS, she's not aged well the past 4 years. We, as a country, may have successfully re-elected a black man, but a haggard, surprisingly frumpy-looking woman? I don't know if we've come that far....

9. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Personally, I don't think her age would impair her performance. I don't think she's out of touch, and I don't think her health will be close to failing. Active women in their 70s do pretty well nowadays. And having watched the mistakes of other newly elected Democrats, I'd be delighted to send someone as experienced as Hillary to the White House in 2016.

A harder question for me to speculate about is whether being older will limit her appeal to younger voters.

10. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Decent lists. Add Susana Martinez, Rob Portman, and Bob McDonnell for the GOP. Things can change obviously, but I don't see Cain or Scott being relevant at all. Add Mark Warner, Antonio Villaraigosa, and Kirsten Gillibrand for the Dems.

bigredfutbol and Chris M. repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What you lose in the young vote, you may gain in the women vote.

Aging white independent/moderately conservative women will vote Hillary before Obama.

But this really goes beyond demographics. Hillary will have the fundraising clout. She would have the best campaign staff. She would have the political shrewdness to navigate a contested race. She passes the foreign policy test.

The age issue could be addressed with a VP pick ... maybe a Deval Patrick or Cory Booker

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Susana Martinez would be a flop. So would Villaraigosa.

Both parties need to be careful not to push a weak candidate just because of race.

Rubio seems like a skilled Latino pick. Not sure I see any others on either side just yet

13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Maybe, maybe not. I could see both of them running. Villaraigosa is certainly interested, though.

Christie and Rubio are easily the favorites at this point for the GOP. Rand Paul could be a wildcard if he continues on with his recent libertarian streak. The one to watch though is Christie, especially as he will be up for re-election in 2013.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'll be quite surprised if Martinez wins a second term.

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Elizabeth Warren...

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Let that woman stay in the Senate until the day she dies -- ala Ted Kennedy.

She'll be a greater force in there in the long run than she would be in a term or two as president.

Really, I want her stay in the Senate for a long, long time.

tomwilhelm and GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  17. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Ted Cruz?

18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    There's no appetite for a Tea Party president right now even if your last name is Cruz.

Even if you get a 10 point Hispanic bump it would be offset by a further erosion of women, young people and independents

19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm not sure you lose the young vote. I can see Hillary being a kind of Betty White who enjoys huge popularity in the later stages of her career across the generations.
    While its not absolutely determinative, Hillary's mother was sharp as a tack and fairly active well into her 90s. I raised age as a concern when McCain ran last time, and I would raise it again with Hillary, because I always look at voting for someone I expect to be in office for eight years. But to date, she seems to be more than on top of things, and her schedule the last four years would have exhausted many of us who are quite a bit younger than her.

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any speculation on whether Hillary will stick around at State for the 2nd term? That job seems uniquely mutually exclusive with running for president, simply due to the insane travel requirements.

21. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Agreed. Hillary seems to grow more competent as the years go by. If she takes a few years off and then makes a run, I can see an energized base that will lead her straight to the Dem nomination. Her age is not an issue IMHO.

I like the list that Matrim55 put out there.
    GOP Field:

Chris Christie
    Jeb Bush
    Marco Rubio
    Rand Paul
    Herman Cain
    Rick Scott
    Bobby Jindal
    Huntsman and Christie are on the outs with the GOP. I see Rand Paul and Herman Cain as fodder for the primaries. Traitor, heretic, etc have been lobbed at Christie and elephants have a long memory. They won't forget how Governor Christie threw Romney under the bus because of Hurricane Sandy. The party base looks less at the destruction of Sandy and more of Obama and Christie being pals.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He might be too Canadian.

23. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    In real life perhaps they do, but not in politics. Three years is a long time, and if they think Christie is their best shot, they will fall all over themselves for him.

taosjohn repped this.
  24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rand as a VP pick, maybe. He's got social conservative baggage to hurt him with moderates, and foreign policy libertarianism to hurt him with the base. I don't see him as a nominee ever.

25. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    I liken this to all those 2014 USMNT roster predictions after the last World Cup. I look forward to coming back here in 2015 and remarking at how off we all were.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.