2016 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If the cutoff was this year attackers I think will get capped soon after the WC for next cycle.

Green
    Arriola
    Shipp
    Joya
    Holmes
    Rowe
    Fernandes
    McNamara
    Serna

Over age: Cascio/Deleon.

Guys already getting first team minutes and making an impact (exception is Green obviously). List will grow as time goes on. Damn our attack looks very promising post Dempsey/Donovan era. The team will play very attractive football.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With Green entering last night's game.........................we've now had 4 players eligible for the 2013 Olympics already get capped by the senior USMNT [Yedlin, Gil, Green, Brooks]. And 3 others have earned full USMNT callups [Cropper, Packwood, O'Neill].

We've definitely got a good "spine" of the team there.

I don't think we'll have any further callups from this U23 pool until after the 2014WC.

If you put a gun to my head and demanded that I pick the next U23 player to get a full USMNT callup I'd nervously guess Wil Trapp. Six months ago I would have said Paul Arriola, but I wouldn't say that now. Six months from now I might say Benji Joya.

BTW, this looks to be an "inverted" cycle. I'm loving our options in defense with this group. Throw in Eric Miller, Kellyn Acosta, etc. and I'm happy. However, the forward group is looking thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin. Very few forwards getting first team pro playing time right now.

Holla at ya boy repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If it's any consolation, I doubt any of us really want to know what you think that much. ;)

Hararea repped this.
  5. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's interesting. We know he was training at FCD last week, and they seemed to suggest they wanted him in their academy. Of course what that FCD article didn't say was that Moore had accepted a place in their academy.

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A.J. Cochran made his debut yesterday. With Host's red card, he looks likely to start the next game.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The Dynamo also have Eric Brunner, but he was out this week with an ankle injury. They may have no choice, save perhaps repurposing somebody. Seems like a good opportunity for Cochran to step up.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston just announced that Brunner had ankle surgery and is out for eight weeks, so good news for Cochran.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would say a good opportunity for Cochran. I'm guessing he's not one who thinks a teammate getting injured is good news. (Or maybe he's a complete douchebag and he does. I don't know. :eek:)

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. My phrasing would have been more appropriate if he were Rafael Marquez's backup.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    To be fair, Eric Brunner being injured again isn't exactly news. ;)

13. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll go with Marc Pelosi but but who knows

14. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dennis Flores and Miguel Palafox both started today for Leon. They rested some players for Liberators but this is a good sign.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In case people haven't been following this saga, John Anthony Brooks keeps digging himself deeper into the Hertha Berlin doghouse:

There are several reports about Brooks in German Media. According to one, they're not satisfied with his Ambition and workrate ("offers nothing"), according to another Brooks is more concerned about getting new tattoos on his back which prevent him from training while they are created.

http://mobil.morgenpost.de/sport/he...and-Ben-Hatira-und-Ronny-muessen-zittern.html

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Talk about a misplaced sense of priorities. Got any pics?

drgonzo and Hararea repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Being able to handle the trappings of celebrity is one of the hardest things to predict, especially with young players... in any sport.

They are given so much and so much is available to them and dealing with it is often more challenging than anything they deal with in training or games.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You know, stuff like being told you might be a World Cup starter at age 21.

Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Exactly.

20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Also, I hear he recently started hanging out with some American kids. Those guys are a bad influence. ;)

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Brooks doesn't pan out because of off-field issues, it will likely be the biggest waste of talent in American soccer history. Adu x 10,000

Of course, we 're a looong way from that

22. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    This is what happens when a player is in their early 20s. Either their character tells them to deal with all of the challenges and setbacks and get better or else they fall behind while others continue to improve faster than them. You just have to wait and see how they will react when things get tough and they get discouraged.

Who knows how Brooks will react in the end, but reports of his current behavior sure don't sound like they are going to be helpful to him in establishing himself as a reliable pro. This is one of the hardest parts of player development because you don't know how a kid will react when things get tough for them and it isn't easy to predict.

Hopefully Brooks will be able to turn his current situation around and go back to moving himself forward.

bshredder and Winoman repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  25. Sandon Mibut