2016 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't impressed with Ocegueda.

Werdman89 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why would he go to a club in the German 3rd Division? Would he start right away there? I really can't think of any other reason. Why not try MLS if he wants to turn pro?

3. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You answered your own question. If he can get a gig starting in German 3rd division, that's better than sitting on the bench in MLS. We've had some keepers with good reputations coming out of the NCAAs like David Bingham, not be able to find a starting job in the league.

It's just training and a trial anyway. He can choose not to go.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Wow no respect for pelosi?

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that many players are truly a lock at this point, but Pelosi has a lot more to prove than any of the players listed. He's a "name" player because he was good with the U-17s and he went on to sign with a very famous club. Since then, it's unclear how he's progressed and it's very unclear how he'll bounce back from a serious injury. He's certainly on the radar, but it's very difficult to consider him a core player or anything close to it right now.

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Things have been quiet around Alonso Hernandez, but he's back on the first team bench again today, so he can't be doing too badly. There aren't too many young players getting first-team minutes in Mexico these days.

Now that a couple of years have passed since Mexico got rid of its young player rule, it's interesting to see what's happened. Even though no one was having any trouble complying with it before, now about half of the teams wouldn't. Their young player rule helped them win Olympic gold and helped facilitate the high-priced sale of Javier Hernandez, but in the end, they didn't have the will to sustain it.

Tom Collingsworth and blacksun repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seemed to me that it was clear how well he was progressing, but you are correct in that at this point, we have no idea what he will return as.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked what I saw from Alonso in Liga MX before the U20s. He didn't have a spectacular tournament but I thought he had a nice touch and a quick understanding of the game. He's still one to watch in my opinion.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was clear that there were articles about how he was "progressing well" and "impressing in training", but to me that's not the same thing as showing it on the field.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally ignore US press reports that use those cliches. We have both seen plenty of those to realize that it's just recycled over and over and really meaningless. What I do value however, are the opinions and impressions that Liverpool fans were getting over the months that he was playing in the reserves. They aren't looking at Pelosi's passport, they were just looking to see if he was good or not and could help the club. Almost universally they had positive impressions of him, and some of the tea leaves did seem to indicate that Liverpool thought somewhat highly of him.

Regardless that's all for not now. I don't even think Pelosi has returned to the field yet has he?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    To add to this, thanks to sites like transfermarkt, nowadays we can also get objective info about a player's minutes in places like the U21 Premier League, the U20 Mexican League, and I believe that Germany goes even lower. Even though the info is spare, it helps a lot to triangulate a player's progress.

An 18-year-old Pelosi was starting regularly for Liverpools U21s, which put him in a good spot.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

J.R. Eskilson ‏@JREskilson 15h
    From 2 days ago RT @M_Sweeting: Marc Pelosi is now VERY close to returning to fitness after being out for over a year.
    Details

We'll see..........................he just has to start pushing for first team football like those other guys. We've seen those other prospects against adult professionals, not Pelosi so far. Hopefully he'll go out on loan next season to get real game time. Gonna be hard for him to break into the Liverpool midfield at his age. Although Lucas is out injured every 3rd game so he's got that going for him.

Tom Collingsworth and Real Corona repped this.
  14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point dude just needs to get on the field. From there we can start to judge his progress. I honestly think he might need another whole calendar year to get back to where he was.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When we say "to get back to where he was".................................I don't even know where that was. :)

We know he was good enough for Liverpool to sign to a new contract, and that's about it.

16. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he was playing pretty regularly with the Liverpool youth team in the Youth Champions League or whatever the name is. And he was playing up with U-21s a bit too. But I only know all that from his thread in YA.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing well for the U21s basically.

18. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Other than Luis Gil, the U-20 I've been most impressed with is Wil Trapp. Makes his debut with Columbus after the U-20 WC and now has established himself as a starter and is a key contributor for them.

Trapp should probably be on the Olympic qualfying team and I bet he makes his CM partner look very good.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we all knew Green was going to be called into the Mexico squad, but it looks like Yedlin and Gil are being incorporated into the Senior team. I think Yedlin has a decent chance at Brazil if he keeps playing well, but otherwise they are probably ones for next cycle.

20. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very strong squad:
    Cropper
    Yedlin Packwood Brooks ONeil
    Trapp Stanko
    Gil Holmes Green
    Hernandez

Who do you all think could break into this?

ckl26 repped this.
  21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any other left back other than O'Neil would be my first hope. Otherwise, Marc Pelosi.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Gil is certainly not a winger either.

Also hopeful to see some of the current U20's like Arriola and Acosta incorporated into these camps when available and not an U20 camp going on at the same time.

23. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Arriola on the wing, shift Gil to CAM. Who knows if Rubin can break in at Utrecht in the next year. Acosta and Delgado certainly have a good chance.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The qualifying tournament is two years away...............................................a whole lot can change in that time.

Anybody's guess is as good as mine.

25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yep, and it's certainly not a stretch to see guys like Gil, Yedlin, and Trapp playing in Europe two years from now and being unavailable for qualifying.