2015 US Open Cup qualifying thread (yes, 2015)

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by olujosh, Nov 27, 2013.

1. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's the short explanation ...

The USASA changed their qualifying deadline to Dec. 31 for the 2014 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup going forward. The challenge with that, as many of you know, is that the state and regional tournaments usually take place in the fall/winter/spring. So some regions are just giving their 2014 spots based on 2013 results. USASA Region I gave their two spots to Region I Open Cup winner Icon FC (New Jersey) and Region I Amateur Cup winner NY Greek American Atlas SC.

Therefore, the Region I state tournaments that are going on right now (both Amateur Cup and Open Cup) are going to feed into the 2014 Region I tournaments. Then the winners of THOSE tournaments are going to be Region I's representatives in the 2015 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup

(Follow all that?)

Here's what we have so far ...

2015 US Open Cup qualifying: West Chester United, Vereinigung Erzgebirge reach Eastern PA final

The semifinals of the Eastern Pennsylvania qualifying tournament for the 2015 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup couldn’t have been more different than the quarterfinals. After a round of eight that saw few goals and three upsets, 12 goals were scored in the semis, and both favorites, West Chester United and Vereinigung Erzgebirge, advanced to the tournament final.

Full story: http://thecup.us/2015-us-open-cup-q...ereinigung-erzgebirge-reach-eastern-pa-final/

Elsewhere, Massachusetts has already submitted their entry (Mass Premier Soccer) into the USASA Region I tournament >> http://thecup.us/2015-us-open-cup-q...wins-state-title-advances-to-region-i-finals/

henryo repped this.
  2. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2015 US Open Cup qualifying: Aegean Hawks win 7th DC-Virginia Open Cup title in last 8 attempts

Details: http://thecup.us/2015-us-open-cup-q...c-virginia-open-cup-title-in-last-8-attempts/

This is a future editorial, but here's a preview: It's a little sad that a state (association) like DC/VA only has two entries. They've had just two entries the last FIVE years. In the article, Jon Knight says the cost is what's keeping teams away. But we're seeing more and more USASA states who only submit one or two teams (or with most of them, no teams at all). The USASA needs to take a hard look at their Open Cup tournament.

What do you think should/can be done?

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Follow the example set by Maryland! :cool:

Rowland Cup final Sunday afternoon between Screaming Eagles & the Maryland Bays. Winner advances to the Region I qualifiers in the Open Cup. Maryland had 10 teams compete for the Rowland and 12 for the Stewart Cup (amateur competition).

www.marylandsoccer.com/cups (note that the server is down at the moment)

Did you get my tweet about Connecticut? Looks like Newton Pride FC will meet Gremio Lusitano Club in their state Open Cup on 16 March.

http://usadultsoccer1.wix.com/region1#!2014cups/cudm

6. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newtown's opponent dropped out, so they are the only entry from Connecticut. Adding more ammo to my forthcoming USASA editorial ;)

7. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falc repped this.
  8. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOLA repped this.
  10. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falc repped this.
  11. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any teams from Arkansas still in the running? What region are they?

12. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Arkansas teams ... haven't had an Arkansas team enter since 2000, I believe. They're in USASA Region III.

13. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It keeps it interesting for you Josh.

18. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, the DQ bug hit the USASA. I would expect this from the newcomers: Club, Specialty, or Steve's Backyard Soccer Assocation, but one of the tried-and-true's?

Wasn't this thing about moving the qualifying deadline up supposed to overcome these kind of problems?

19. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily, but this is how the earlier deadline helps a situation like this:

If this year's tournament winner was entered into THIS year's Open Cup (2014) they would HAVE to have the tournament done by late April. But especially in the midwest (as many of us locals know), weather is unpredictable this time of year. Tournaments can be delayed by weather and protests and other situations, and if the tournament runs up against the deadline, that can be a problem.

Like when the KC Athletics and Dearborn Stars had that situation with the "was the field wide enough?" thing. In the end, Region II decided to replay the match at a neutral site, but they had to do it on less than a week's notice because the deadline was approaching. KC Athletics couldn't get a full team to Chicago on short notice so they had to forfeit.

But if that same situation had happened THIS year, then they would have had plenty of time to reschedule because the Open Cup qualifying deadline (for NEXT year's tournament) isn't until the end of the year.

Make sense?

20. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "interesting" is one word you could use, sure.

With the Rhode Island team out of the mix, Mass Premier Soccer had the most of their second life with a 5-0 thrashing of defending USASA Region I Open Cup champions Icon FC

USASA Region I Open Cup Semifinals (May 4)

Lansdowne Bhoys (East NY) at Mass Premier Soccer (MA)
    Dulles Sportsplex Aegean Hawks FC (DC/VA) at Maryland Bays (MD)

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #22 Falc, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    From what I heard, Mass Premier has some key players for this match that were not available last week against Blaugrana. Life of an amateur team, can't alway rely on the same 11 showing up each week.

In Amateur Cup play, a lot of goals scored. NY Greek American Atlas travelled to Mass United and defeated them 5:0. In the other northern bracket match, Danbury United (CT) trashed Manzanillol Deportivo (NH) 6:0. In the south, Maryland Bays reached their second semifinal in their 6:1 victory over FC Motown (NJ). The other quarterfinal ended in a 3:3 draw between Dulles Sportsplex Aegean Hawks FC & Vereinigung Erzgebirge Majors (EPA) with the Pennsylvanian side advancing on PK's 5:4. The regional winner earns a berth in the 2015 Lamar Hunt.

http://usadultsoccer1.wix.com/region1#!2014cups/cudm

22. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 SJJ, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    So according to the prequel on that article, it is: MLS (16), NASL (8), USL (14), PDL (19), NPSL (11), US-Adult (10), US-Club (1), US-Specialty (1)

Or as I look at it: MLS (16), lower divisions (64). So the obvious format is to have the 64 teams play two rounds, where the 16 winners get matched up against MLS sides.

I suggested this during this time last year. (I also posited at the 64 teams could play two rounds at 16 sites [during one week], but we can leave that as a side question): https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/2013-qualifiers.1948312/page-5#post-27705360

To give the pro teams some byes, it might look like (starting all USL-NASL pro teams in the same round; with 22 teams in these two leagues, it only leaves 10 ameteurs to play in that round, but you run into the case where you can't get 42 down to 10 in only two rounds, so a preliminary round is required):
    Preliminary: US-Adult (2), US-Club (1), US-Specialty (1)
    R1: Prelim winners (2), PDL (19), NPSL (11), US-Adult (8)
    R2: R1 winners (20)
    R3: R2 winners (10), NASL (8), USL (14)
    R4: R3 winners (16), MLS (16)