2015 U20 Qualifying Roster

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Oscar Sorto was also HG signing for LA in 2013. I don't know how much he is making though. Its possible that Zardes and Sorto could have occupied those two spots.

Raul Mendiola hasn't officially signed yet, but I remember reading somewhere that he was close to a HGP deal. It might have been a decision between signing Arriola and Mendiola.

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

McBean is the other. But players also graduate from HG status kinda like graduating from Generation Adidas. The rule is just dumb in regards to the limits on the $$ MLS can spend on HG players, and my guess that will be changed soon.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    USAMEX10 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    As far as players developing in Mexico..... Are they really that much better off in the long run ? The number of top-class players that were developed from Mexico academies is not very high considering their 100 Million+ population and the amount of money they put into their system. Mexico can never get past the quarterfinals with their mostly domestic league based squads. for whatever reason they style of play that is taught in Mexico does not transcend to the Champions League level as a whole outside of a few special players (Chicahrito, Vela, Gaurdardo, etc.).

What if the best period for Mexican-American players to go to Mexico is from 13-18, but once they become 18 they to go Europe. Mexican academies for the moment will give better all-around yearly soccer for the 13-18 year olds but past 18, i don't see the point of staying in Mexico anymore when the better teachers are in Europe.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. McSoccerdad

McSoccerdad Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Is the league minimum for HGs different than non HGs, which is $35,125? The Union have three HGs all over $60,000.00. One is on loan so that may be part of the explanation but if all three were under the U umbrella, would the U just have to take a cap hit for one of them?

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Who knows. I was interpreting the 2012 rules when I wrote that post, or trying to, but ... it's MLS. (And I could have read them wrong.)

7. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Does anyone else think McBean is vastly overrated?

genom repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Apparently Ramos does.:eek:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the rating?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    McBean and Martin are too old for this team. Please discuss your thoughts in the 2013 U20 qualifying roster thread.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question about Martin's eligibility was asked and answered, but thanks for the thread policing.

uniteo and YanksAreComing repped this.
  14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Way to be super sensitive! :rolleyes:

Not criticizing you. People have the ability to google birthdates.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Arriola started off with a great assist yesterday on his debut with Xolos. Really promising start from him not many prospects 18 yr old get so much time right off the bat and contribute right away.

16. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Bailey is on U23 roster and playing friendlies against bundesliga 2 teams. Apparently played Vitesse in Holland today. There is no doubt that the 2015 roster is going to be all pros in the true sense ie kids that have been playing pro for almost 2 years as opposed to pseudo pros for 2013 cycle that were just drafted from college with little pro experience. Even the 2015 MLS kids are going to be seasoned with the more playing time thru uslpro/nasl/reserve games. 2015 is going to be an exciting promising cycle, cant wait to see how it shakes out.

17. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exciting stuff from Julian Green and Paul Arriola.

Green with 2 more goals this morning.

I think I'm officially past the 2013 cycle and excited about the 2015 one.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    We already have a large pool of players in pro environments. As we can see from the Milk Cup roster, there are also some players heading to college who might turn pro after one collegiate season (assuming they have standout seasons) thus adding to the pro-oriented pool. And we also might be surprised by players in Mexico suddenly popping up on the horizon, similar to what happened with the '13 pool. However, once again the strength of the pool seems to be with MFs and Fs, so I'm concerned about having enough quality defenders, esp. with some pro experience. On paper, at least, this cycle looks even more promising than the '13 cycle.

YanksAreComing repped this.
  19. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    You're right. I expect the roster to be entirely pro. The italicized names are those who could be playing in a college environment by the time WC qualifying rolls around.

FW: Julian Green, Kosta Koukladas, Romain Gall, Ben Spencer, Amando Moreno, Paul Arriola, Benji Lopez, Rubio Rubin, Caleb Calvert, Jason Romero, Daniel Olea, Andrija Novakovich
    MF: Junior Flores, Joel Sonora, Marky Delgado, Emerson Hyndman, Kainoa Bailey, Russell Canouse, Kai Henkel, Zach Pfeffer, Omar Thompson, Chris Lema, Kellyn Acosta, Brian Iloski, Kris Scott, Lynden Gooch
    DF: Jordan Allen, Matt Miazga, Trevor Haberkorn, John Requejo, Tommy Redding, Desevio Payne, Shaq Moore, Michael Amick, Suli Dainkeh
    GK: Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath, Jeff Caldwell, JT Marcinkowski, Santiago Castano

20. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Really hope Romain Gall isnt one of those that goes to college. He's already one of the best we have in a pro environment in France and playing ncaa ball would be a setback imo. The thing for me this cycle most of the attackers have more size and pace than last so thats good. But yes only worrying part are the defenders...again. Maybe we can find a kid in Mexico or Germany to fill in the gap:D Also Torre's not eligible this cycle so theres that. Lol

21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every new cycle is something to be excited about. We are only getting better folks.:thumbsup:

YanksAreComing repped this.
  22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Spencer is on the bench for Molde in their CL qualifier against Sligo Rovers today.

USAMEX10, Hararea, ielag and 1 other person repped this.
  23. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen, who presumably enters the cycle as Tab's number 1 based on his involvement in the 2013 cycle, could be one of those guys still in college, due to the presence of Zac MacMath on the Union. There's always of course Europe or the option of loaning him to Harrisburg if and when he signs his HG contract.

We will see, I'm just hoping for serious competition at all spots.

Balerion repped this.
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, I wouldn't discount the possibility of a small handful of college players on the team. In fact, I think that 1-3 college/amateur players is a healthy sign for the U-20 team. Although I'd rather our best players move to the pros, there are a few realities:

1. Not every pro-ready kid gets a pro opportunity immediately. If nobody has your HG rights and you don't have a foreign passport, a college player is dependent on a GA offer or an offer from a select group of countries (Germany, Norway, Sweden, etc). Many times, these offers will not be forthcoming, at least not immediately.

2. Every year, some youth players will improve suddenly by leaps and bounds. It's helpful to catch these as soon as possible instead; we want our squad to be the best 95s and 96s in 2015, not the best 95s and 96s in 2013.

The reality is that the fall 2014 college season will feature some breakout freshmen and the U-20 coach would do well to keep them in mind, especially players who may be able to help an area of weakness among the pro player pool.

All that being said, our pro group looks strong for this early in the cycle. Some players are beginning to see minutes already and others have recently been picked up by big clubs. The sad/cynical way to look at it is that there's still plenty of time for many of them to fail. But the starting point just seems a little higher than normal.

Sandon Mibut, YanksAreComing and Hararea repped this.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In fact, it hurts us if we're not getting top amateurs into the U20 system. It's such a great way to expose an amateur player to a higher level and help him decide whether or not to make the leap.

Sandon Mibut and YanksAreComing repped this.