2015 U20 Qualifying Roster

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was playing against a team that plays at a level that I was able to play at in Germany. But good impression none the less.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Julian Green: The Start of Something Big?

http://footballtwentyone.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/julian-green-start-of-something-big/

Green moved to Germany at the age of two with his mother from his family home in Tampa, Florida, and this is what allows him to play for the USA or Germany, when the time comes to choose.

He currently plays for the USA at u-18 level and will be eligible for the 2015 u-20 World Cup should he be selected.

But at club level, the real progression started in the 2011/12 season, where Green starred for Munich’s Under-17 team, where he was top scorer within the side, scoring 18 times. Last season, he made the step up to Bayern’s A-Jugend team (Under-19s) and continued the previous seasons fine form with 10 goals in 26 matches.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  4. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does any of this matter if Ramos is still coaching?

6. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be a silly question, but could Paul Arriola potentially jump ship and represent Mexico?
    I vaguely remember reading something about him getting Mexican citizenship soon after his move to Club TJ.
    Does anyone also know exactly why he left LA for TJ? Was it money? First team opportunities?

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did it so he could play for Tijuana, not so he could play with Mexico's YNT.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    True, but technically he could play for a Mexican YNT. However, the chances of that are remote.

9. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does every player need to gain citizenship to play in the league? Do they not have "international spots" like MLS?

10. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. They have 5. So it's certainly beneficial for young players like Arriola to obtain Mexican citizenship if possible to make them more attractive to Mexican clubs.

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is "Plan B" for Arriola. I think Arriola's chances of playing for Mexico are about as good as Ocegueda's were.

12. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you say that? Are Mexican coaches not as high on him as US coaches?

13. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Arriola has a much higher ceiling than Ocegueda. Situations are different. Chances he goes to a mexican ynt are very slim as he is probs going to be major contributer for u20s

14. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that he'll play for Mexico. I was just saying that I'm sure they're interested.

15. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth I don't think he is fluent in Spanish. Not sure how the Mexican Federation would view that. If he is living in San Diego, it may make it tougher for him to integrate and learn the language.

16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea how good Arriola is gonna be in the future but right now he is doing pretty well.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Mexican team is going to waste an international spot on a teenager unless that kid is a budding superstar.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The Galaxy were really upset that he left them. He was definitely in their plans. He trained with the 1st team during the preseason, and then played/trained consistently with the reserves later on. We don't know his ceiling, but he's a good prospect at this point.

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did well against Eint Frankfurts youth team and scored against Club America's reserves. I would've given him a contract instead of Zardes.

20. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I don't understand. Why didn't LA sign him to a HG deal?
    I heard he wasn't at the academy long enough, but neither was Villarreal. In his case though, he just waited a year to play.
    Also, was it really Arriola or Zardes? Is there a limit to HG contracts per team?

21. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that Tijuana were offering him more money than the Galaxy could offer. Galaxy really wanted him and included him in their pre-season.

Estiv-0 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Jaime Villlarreal eligible for the next U20 cycle?

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There is no limit to the number of HG signings a team can make, but only two can be signed for above the league minimum; also, teams are limited in the number of "off-budget" players (and, of course, total players generally) they can sign.

I am pretty sure Zardes is one of the Galaxy's two above-minimum HG players; I don't know offhand if they have another, but they may have had another in mind if not. (And Arriola didn't yet qualify anyway.)

Presumably Arriola would have preferred not to sign for the league minimum, as he obviously had other options.

Pl@ymaker repped this.