2015 Asian Cup Qualifiers

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by edrees, Nov 30, 2011.

1. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Bit too early, but the qualification process should be announced soon. 5 teams have already qualified for the 2015 finals
    Australia- Host nation
    Japan- 2011 Asian Cup winners
    South Korea- 3rd Place 2011 Asian Cup
    2012 Challenge Cup winners
    2014 Challenge Cup winners

Due to Australia being host nation and also qualifying as runner up in the last edition, the 6th spot will not be given to the team that came 4th in the 2011 edition.

2. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    They are obviously going to exclude countries like India which means again we lose an opportunity to play against some top Asian teams.

3. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    5 teams (including the host nation) to qualify automatically to the biggest continental tournament.............

[​IMG]

And no, I personally dont regard a phony tournament ala Challenge cup as a legitimate qualifying route.
    This is ridiculous, 4 teams (excluding the host obviously) to qualify without having to actually go through the qualifying process...lol

nimaa repped this.
  4. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Its to make the better nations better and the lessor nations to stay the same (as they cant develop with only 2 games across 4 years) and to also avoid Japan playing Bhutan and having 30-0 scorelines lol

5. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They could improve or develop by participating in regional competitions or tournaments like AFC Challenge Cup (that's why it's there). They could improve by arranging international friendlies, investing in their domestic league and overall football infrastructure. There is a million things they could do. Why should their improving process have an effect on the continental qualification format? Its not AFC's job to hold their hands.
    What I'm saying is that this format, as a whole, is fkcng flawed.

Let me just underline why: 5 teams

lol

Coach2007 repped this.
  6. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Hopefully that will change starting with the 2019 edition. If I remember correctly, the AFC has setup (or will be setting up) some sort of task force to recommend a more competitive format (or something like that) for the 2019 Asian Cup. Perhaps, as a start, they'll scrap any automatic qualifiers especially ones that come from the AFC Challenge Cup.

7. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Make it European way,smaller nations aren't getting enough exposure.It is the same set of teams which make it to later rounds of WCQ meaning smaller nations barely play any official matches except for 2 WCQ in every 4 years.

AFC needs to look into these,even their website is pathetic they can't cover the AFC Challenge Cup draw or even inform about its happening.

8. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Good point- I agree to that, AFC are not there to hold their hands.
    The whole top 4 from prior Cup automatically going through is pretty pathetic, but then again AFC always want the best of Asia to be at all Asian Cups.

On the other hand, i feel sorry for the middle tier nations who seem too good for Challenge Cup, but probably a bit off to challenge for a Asian Cup Spot.

In regards to the 2 spots going to winners of the Challenge Cup, I dont see that much of an issue, as besides North Korea who can tackle with the best, the rest are way off par. Its just a little incentive for these small nations to feel as though they have a chance to play against the best by winning the Challenge Cup.

9. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    North Korea qualify for Asian Cup 2015 by winning the Challenge Cup 2012..

Now we wait and find out which of the Challenge Cup nations are allowed to enter or are able to enter (financial reasons) to the 2015 Asian Cup Qualifiers.

if you want to get better, you need to play matches, and what better then playing against better opposition..

10. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    The members were informed that 20 teams, who have confirmed their entries for the qualifiers, would be drawn into five groups of four teams each. The top two teams from each group and one third best-placed team from among all the groups would qualify for the Finals.

THe top three teams from the AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2011™ - Japan, Australia and Korea Republic – alongside 2012 AFC Challenge Cup winners DPR Korea, and the champions of the 2014 edition of the AFC Challenge Cup will get direct entry into the Finals.

http://www.the-afc.com/en/news/38454-boost-to-afc-asian-cup-2015

11. Edgar

Edgar Member

12. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2015_Asian_Cup_Q_draw.jpg
    The draw is completed:
    Group A: Jordan, Syria, Oman, Singapore
    Group B: Iran, Kuwait, Thailand, Lebanon
    Group C: Iraq, China, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia
    Group D: Qatar, Bahrain, Yemen, Malaysia
    Group E: Uzbekistan, UAE, Vietnam, Hong Kong

Group C seems to be the group of death to me. All four looks capable of qualifying.

Kutsuit repped this.
  13. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Group B is also interesting to see.
    Can't wait to pomtiatsiuk to come back. SUSU.

nimaa, Kutsuit and ChaDuRi671 repped this.
  14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Iraq and China same group again after 2014 World Cup qualification, China will be keen to revenge for their defeat.

15. tato_Top

tato_Top Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Auckland,NZ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

Well if Indonesia will play with their best players, I think Indonesia can at least give problems to the other teams. But a very slim chance to qualify for Indonesia.

Kutsuit repped this.
  16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    My thoughts:

Group A: Remains to be seen what type of Syria turns up. Jordan should have enough in them. Oman will be fancying their chances and Singapore might just feel they can do something at home but struggle away.

Group B: Iran should have this along with Kuwait in my opinion. Thailand will fancy themselves at home but struggle away. Same for Lebanon in my opinion.

Group C: Iraq and Saudi for me. When ou see China having a chance, they suddenly implode before they take it. Indonesia to struggle once more. Might just be the group that gets the best 3rd placed side due to 6 points against Indonesia as an incentive.

Group D: I fancy Yemen here to sneak in. Qatar and Bahrain might take points off each other with Yemen ready to take advantage. Malaysia similiar to Thailand, might be good at home, but on their travels will struggle.

Group E: You'd have to say Uzbeks and UAE. Vietnam could catch the likes of UAE cold at home. On the other hand I can see HK possibly beating Vietnam home and away but not taking anything else so we'd go full circle to UAE, Uzbeks qualfiying without maor concerns.

mdhm and Kutsuit repped this.
  17. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    I cant really decide on whether I should be frustrated or happy about the group Kuwait ended up with. Only recently were we disqualified from the World Cup qualifiers thanks to Lebanon, and now we have to meet them again! >_<

And if Lebanon are a tough nut to crack, then Thailand would bring us even more hell. Group B isn't going to be a cakewalk for any team.

I'm not even going to comment on Iran but I'll just save the discussion(s) for when the time comes. I just hope "Mr. Sexy Persian Man" is going to be here some time in 2013. :p

18. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I will say HK is glad to have drawn Vietnam, because they are not so far away to travel and it is not impossible to get points off them, if we play well. Some in HK are even optimistic about playing Uzbekistan, given that we drew with them twice for 2007 Asian Cup qualification.

But currently HK team is having trouble now, 2 local experienced defenders, Ng Wai-Chu and Lee Chi-Ho have decided not to play for the team. Ernie Merrick is also finding it tough to bring the players together for his regular Tuesday trainings. We are only left with Chan Wai-Ho and we are quite desperate. Next week's friendly against Malaysia will show how good/bad our defense is.

19. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    Uzbekistan NT improved a lot in these years. Also, Fan Chun Yip, Gerard Ambassa Guy and Cheung Sai Ho were the good players and saved the team in the matches vs Uzb in 2006 but we still can't find anyone to replace their positions. I don't think we have any chance to get a point from Uzb. Sigh...

20. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Susu called group sexy commodo.

ntg. repped this.
  21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Debate over Asia Cup qualifying article. Apparently some teams think it is unfair that some teams are seeded while Korea itself feels it gives them an opportunity to participate in stronger tournaments to help them prepare for the World Cup:

South Korea, two-time continental champions, can plan more high-profile and lucrative friendlies rather than qualifying for the Asian Cup, which takes place just six months after the 2014 World Cup.
    “Generally, it has pros and cons,” Park Yong-soo, head of Planning and Management at the Korea Football Association (KFA) told The Associated Press. “If you look ahead to the 2014 World Cup, the host Brazil suffers in its Fifa rankings because it can’t play competitive games.
    “Overall though, for us, not participating in Asian Cup qualification gives us the chance to play friendly games against stronger nations all around the world. We can even take part in some tournaments. Of course, the level of the teams in Asia is improving all the time ... but when we can, we want to play teams that are stronger than us and this gives us a broader perspective.”

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/debate-over-asian-cup-qualifying-1.1087565

“It should be like Europe,” Schaefer told The Associated Press. “Why can Japan and [South] Korea go directly? At Euro 2012, Poland and Ukraine were the hosts but Italy, England and Germany had to qualify.
    “It is good for us to play good teams — even if we have Korea and Japan in the same group,” he said. “That is okay, that is football. Korea and Japan should have to earn their place at the Asian Cup just like everyone else.”

22. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They want to play stronger opposition? Sorry, England has to play San Marino and Holland also busy playing Andorra this weekend. Czech Republic has to play Malta and Sweden plays Faroe Islands. Maybe Japan and South Korea can just play each other all the time.

UEFA makes everyone plays, AFC bows down to Japan and South Korea all the time.

23. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    So if Saudi Arabia were hosting we'd have 6 automatic qualifiers?

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yes, same as 2011. But in theory, we only have one automatic qualifier, the host.
    You could say qualfication for 2015 started at the 2011 Asian Championships Finals in Qatar. Everyone knew the top three would make it. It wasn't like we had the draw this week and everyone was suprised that Japan/Korea was already in.

25. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Prediction on who qualifies from each group

Group A: Jordan, Syria
    Group B: Iran, Kuwait
    Group C: Iraq, Saudi Arabia
    Group D: Qatar, Bahrain
    Group E: Uzbekistan, UAE