2014 World Cup Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by benztown, Dec 7, 2013.

1. SteveJ2377

SteveJ2377 New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Thank you benztown - could you please also send me the password? I'd like to use this for a prediction game for the people in my office this summer

Many thanks

2. Magic29

Magic29 New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks benztown - I'd also like to use this as a prediction game, so could I have the password too please?

Thanks

3. ttnpier

ttnpier Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hi Benztown, can you PM me the password as well? Don't want to modify it or anything, just an excel buff who wants to see the formulas.

4. pingu1991

pingu1991 New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Hi can you please send me the password? I am not good in excel sheets.. I wanted to link the whole prediction thing to 15 persons... maybe you can explain some steps in PM :) thanks a lot!

5. Simon Byrne

Simon Byrne New Member

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    can you send me the password please? i started making my own one but got stuck in the group ranking formulae :(

6. ColinO

ColinO New Member

May 2, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Thank you Benztown - could you please also send me the password? I'd like to use this for a prediction game for the 2 young boys football teams that I coach - they would love this..

Many thanks

7. ColinO

ColinO New Member

May 2, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hi Benztown... is it possible for someone to do their own result predictions for every game and then get points awarded for each result, e.g. 6 for win and 3 for draw and a point for each goal correctly predicted?? This gives everybody a chance to score points even if their team is losing by still getting points for scoring goals. Not sure what formulas would be needed here?

8. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    If I understand you correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. My approach would be the following:
    Duplicate the prediction sheet once. The first one would then be the master sheet where the correct results are entered, the second one would be a prediction sheet that needs additional score keeping. For that, I'd add an additional column where the points are calculated by comparing the predicted result with the actual result on the master sheet. That's not particularly difficult but it could turn into a very long formula, so for the sake of clarity, I would split it up into several formulas that do their magic in hidden cells with only the ultimate result being visible.

When it's all done, I'd create a duplicate of the prediction sheet for every participant.

9. ColinO

ColinO New Member

May 2, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Thks Benztown ..... would probably do 4 points for correct prediction...i.e. predict the win or draw....
    And then one bonus point for each correct score of each team in the match. Trying to keep it s

10. ColinO

ColinO New Member

May 2, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    [quote="ColinO, post: 30065428, member: 242o
    Thks Benztown ..... would probably do 4 points for correct prediction...i.e. predict the win or draw....l
    And then one bonus point for each correct score of each team in the match. Trying to keep it simple but also create interest in every game even if your overall result prediction is wrong. Anyways it's an idea only as I am useless at these formulas and wouldn't know how to create the prediction sheet even if I tried. I did this on paper many years ago for family but it was very time consuming, manually working the points system...but everybody loved it as even though their team would be losing they would be cheering them on to score as that was their goal prediction for their team in that game. Would need spreadsheet now as I have lots of boys in the club. Thks again Benztown..spreadsheet is great...

11. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I'm sure you'll understand that I won't do customization for the spreadsheet, making this spreadsheet was work enough as it is. But as I said, adding an evaluation functionality isn't that complex as all it takes is to compare cells, so it's really only a bunch of IF functions. For instance, it could look like this:

Let's call the first cell we're in S1 (S for score):
    =IF('master'!G1=G1, 1, 0)
    So here we would compare the cell G1 (which in this case would be goals scored by team A) in the master sheet with the same cell in the current sheet. If they're the same, the value of the cell will be 1, else it will be 0.
    The same would be done for cell S2, though now we'd compare the goals scored by team B:
    =IF('master'!G2=G2, 1, 0)
    In cell S3, we'd then see if the correct winner was predicted, in which case the value will be 4, otherwise it will be 0:
    IF(OR(AND('master'!G1>'master'!G2, G1>G2), AND('master'!G1<'master'!G2, G1<G2), AND('master'!G1='master'!G2, G1=G2)), 4, 0)

Now all you have to do is to add up S1, S2 and S3 and you'll get your score for this game. If you put all that in the same row as is the game itself, all you have to do from here on is to copy and paste these formulas.

12. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    but... its apple...

13. Spirois

Spirois Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Great work benztown, really well done.

14. pingu1991

pingu1991 New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Hi benztown, how should one settle a win in extra time or with penalties? since if you put a draw from round of 16 onwards, it will not work.. please help!

15. ColinO

ColinO New Member

May 2, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Thks Benztown...you have done a great job indeed...I will give this a bash then...many thks again...

16. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Well, In order to keep it simple, I decided to only have the final score in the sheet. If you want more granularity, you'd have to add cells for the score in extra time and penalties for each of the knock-out games and adapt the formulas accordingly, but that should be rather simple as all you'd need to do is to use sums over three cells instead of just one cell. Alternatively, you could put in checkboxes one could mark for extra time and penalties in order to indicate what the final result represents. That wouldn't be quite as detailed and it would be more difficult to implement, but it wouldn't clutter the layout as much.

17. UHsoccer

UHsoccer New Member

May 11, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

18. UHsoccer

UHsoccer New Member

May 11, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #43 UHsoccer, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    I filled in ONLY Group B. Final Standing : Holland-7, Spain-5, Chili-4 and Australia-0
    Placed Spain Ok. BUT added Uruguay in game 52 as Winner of D!
    Should have had Holland in Game 51 Winner of B ?

19. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Good catch. There was indeed an error in the "Winner Group D" cell. It didn't affect the actual results, so at the end of the day, the correct team would appear there, but it did fill in the leading team of Group D too early if there were games played in Group B (a bad copy and paste job on my part).

I uploaded an updated version.

Attached Files:

20. iseah100

iseah100 Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Interesting

21. johann j

johann j New Member

May 14, 2014
    Hi Benztown. Could I also get the password so I can put it up as a work game in the summer?

22. JimmyD_25

JimmyD_25 New Member

May 12, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thank you benztown - could you please also send me the password? I'd like to use this for a prediction game for the people in my office this summer

Many thanks

23. kwizman

kwizman New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Excellent spreadsheet Benztown. I too would like to set up a predictions game for the office. So could I also have the spreadsheet.
    I'd happily send the new version back if it helps as there appears to be a demand.
    Thanks

24. kwizman

kwizman New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry, I meant could I have the password. Doh !

25. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

I'm sure it would be appreciated if you'd share your solution.