2014 World Cup Send-Off Friendlies Sites?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by CBlake, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HomietheClown and doogiemo repped this.
  2. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    curious why RBA. the send off game in philly proved you can get 40K plus for this type of match. not saying it has to be in philly again, but why pick a place than holds <25K?

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good question.
    Philly does seem to be getting the short end of the stick the last couple years when it comes to US National team games.

4. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's another case of wanting to make sure it's a US-friendly crowd?

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Which makes it even stranger to have a match in New Jersey.

6. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  7. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since that send off match in Philly, the USMNT has been back twice including the least attended game since the last World Cup when the friendly against Columbia had just over 8K. I know people are not always excited for friendlies but that is pretty bad. Even the Mexico friendly just got over 30k. I am not surprised with RBA as it puts the team in the biggest media market where it can really push the build up for the World Cup. Appearances on Good Morning America, The Today Show, Letterman etc. will be in the cards.

8. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like I said, not specifically calling for the game to be in philly. just in a larger venue

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Columbus has also gotten REALLY bad attendance for friendlies. We went back there though.

10. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would playing Spain in a big NFL stadium be that crazy of a pick, seeing that they are holding camp from reports in DC and are talking about playing the likes of lowly Canada.

11. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant in the sense of how they held WCQs in smaller stadiums so they could give initial sales to supporters' groups (hence ensuring that fans of the opposing teams wouldn't start grabbing up tickets like they could with a general sale).

12. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

It's really just a hop-skip-and a jump in California driving terms and we don't get that many USA games up here so it would be well worth it in my opinion. You won't have any traffic going north or south really.

14. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Does anyone from the south bay recommend Cal Train for getting to the Stanford game? I'm off of Capitol Expressway in San Jose.

15. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'll probably try to make it. I've never been to a US game out west (been to 2 in Columbus and probably 20 or so in Foxboro/Hartford/Meadowlands/Philly/DC/Richmond)

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only question I have is why they are flying to the four corners of the US for these games? If it's not simulating flying in brazil I have no idea.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like the fact different sets of fans from different corners of the USA will get to the the team before they head off to Brazil.

18. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking forward to a game at Red Bull Arena before making a trek down to Florida. Would people expect a sellout out Palo Alto and a crowd equall to the Turkey send off match in Philly last time? A sellout in JAX would be amazing.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great for fans, but I'm curious about the players.

20. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hard to tell regarding the Palo Alto match. The stadium holds about 50,000, but given that it is apparently a Tuesday night match, I really have no idea what the attendance will be. It seems odd that they are scheduling a match the day after the team comes together.

CBlake repped this.
  21. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 26th is the latest players have to be released by their clubs to the national teams, but a lot of the European teams finish much earlier for example the EPL last day of action is May 11, Germany is May 10, so lots of players will be available way before the 26th. The latest potential USMMNT players would have the latest club match would be the LA-Philly and San Jose-Houston matches on the evening of Sunday, May 25, which are both in California.

22. bigworm

bigworm Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know... over 44K showed up for the Scotland friendly in 2012. Stadium capacity is close to 70K, maybe they could at least pack the lower bowl. Either way, I really hope the match in JAX vs Nigeria becomes reality.

23. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news and bad news ...

The good news is ... Yes! Caltrain is highly recommend for this event! Especially since it's a weeknight.
    Often Caltrain will have a special stop at the Stadium/Embarcadaro for big games but I' not sure they could do that during commute hours. If not, the walk to and from the PA Caltrain is still short and pleasant, especially if you stop along the way for a libation or two.

Now the bad news ...
    Rumor is Stanford has declined the hosting opportunity. Palo Alto and Stanford don't do big Weeknight events.

wixson7, SpencerNY and Smurfquake repped this.
  24. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well, that's annoying if true. I wonder where else they would consider hosting the match....

25. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Will the new 49ers stadium be ready by then??