2014 WC Qualifying - Back on Track!

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2012.

1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Here's a pretty decent analysis of Oranje. Probably one of the best you'll find in English
    http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog...o-rejuvenate-oranje-after-euro-2012-disaster/
    and try not to let this line:
    prevent you from reading the rest. I know I almost stopped after seeing that, but I'm glad I didn't

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^thanks for the link quite interesting. Funny that he doesn't mention Jeffery Bruma when talking about central defenders.

3. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1049/Oranje/...-Jong-niet-mee-naar-Brazilie.dhtml?show=react

funny future prediction of the team ronald koeman would pick!!!

The World Cup selection of Orange

Players Age Club

Keepers
    Tim Krul 26 Chelsea
    Maarten Stekelenburg 31 AS Roma
    Michel Vorm 30 Tottenham Hotspur

Defenders
    Stefan de Vrij 22 Feyenoord
    Ricardo van Rhijn 22 Ajax
    Douglas Teixeira 26 Internazionale
    John Heitinga 30 Liverpool
    Nick Viergever 24 AZ
    Jetro Willems 20 PSV
    Emanuelson 27 AC Milan

Midfielders
    Jordy Clasie 22 Feyenoord
    Vurnon Anita 25 Ajax
    Wesley Sneijder 29 Manchester City
    Kevin Strootman 24 PSV
    Adam Maher 20 Valencia
    Robin van Persie 30 Arsenal
    Afellay 28 Arsenal

Attackers
    Ola John 22 Benfica
    Luciano Narsingh 23 Ajax
    Klaas-Jan Huntelaar 29 Manchester United
    Luuk de Jong 23 Borussia Dortmund
    Arjen Robben 30 Bayern Munich
    Derk Boerrigter 27 Ajax

4. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Is Douglas going to be given Dutch nationality?

5. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He is a Dutch National. Now it's just a matter of FIFA letting him play for us

6. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the question is when, i heard somethign about august, but i'm not sure, if it was august or november he gets to play

7. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011

Again. I will say all this is RIDICULOUS.

There is difference,Big Difference between positional & spatial awareness of a winger & a full-back. Robben has great offensive awareness as a Winger,put him in Full-Back then,he is quicker than afellay too.

Defensive positioning is completely different. If a Mathijsen comes & covers Willems,how will he react,will he cut in at LCB to cover the ST. What if he is 1 on 2,which man does he follow. Where does he position himself to stop both guys or hold them up.

This is called the art of defending. What is he gets out-tricked? What if he has to go for a last ditch tackle?? Who is better??? IF Afellay massively better. Who is more likely to out-muscled.

Afellay could not go past 1 single man using his pace,I dont think he is quicker than Willems too. Willems is naturally left footed,Afellay is not. Playing Tiki Taka while holding the ball 90% of the time & defending a Full-Back are 2 different things. If you were coach,Oranje would loose to San marino.

Case in point - Biscuits,How did he do as a CB?? He sucked monkey B*alls..

Pass Percentage is a ridiculous criteria. It tells nothing about the types of passes. Mathijsen plays safe passes while Sneijder has to try risky through passes. So Mathijsen's passing is better than Sneijder.

Anyways I have said this & said this again. Mathijsen is 33-34 odd,Very Slow,tactically or technically very mediocre,as is Vlaar. Neither of them are past,positionally brilliant or have the skills to play a high tempo passing & pressing game with a high backline. We saw what happened When Ronaldo turned Vlaar inside out. That is what happens when you try. You get humiliated.

Its stupid for Sneijder or anyone else to suddenly in the middle of a game,the 3rd & Do Or Die game in the Euros after consecutive defeats to suddenly expect a change in game. How was the World Cup. Bar games like San Marino,this is how Oranje play. Mathijsen is not capable of much more. He is not confident doing it especially with Willems at LB & VDV at CM against ROnaldo.

For the first 20 minutes Oranje had full control so they could try a bit of it maybe. But after conceding the goal it was clear they did not have the skill sets,support or confidence to suddenly experiment with this style

8. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So, van Bommel is the first to draw conclusions and retires from the NT. Not officially, but he wants to make way for the younger generation.

Who's next?

9. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    good for him. 'cause if Bert's still around he probably would have kept calling him up otherwise. Good to know that at least one of those two knows what's best for the team going forward.
    I imagine there will be several guys who wait till the result of the KNVB's performance review of Bert. If he stays, we'll probably see some more announce their retirement. If he goes, they might stick around to see if the new manager picks them.
    I just hope that Rafa doesn't have to retire before that 100th cap.

10. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Only Mathijsen, Boulahrouz and Kuyt are over 30 at the moment.

11. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes I know, I was actually hinting on BvM when I said who's next.

12. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am wondering how long you have been following the Dutch NT and how many hours you spend playing FIFA games on your game computer.

That was not the argumentation and you know it. You stated Afellay did not posses calmness. It's very easy to observe if people panic when they experience a bit of pressure, because they will kick the ball away. Those errors drip into his pass success rate's and his belong to the highest of the team. Be aware that he was the only forward in top 5 being able to maintain that stat, while the others played in one or two lines further back. Mathijsen can freely pass often, while Afellay has to operate deeper into enemy space. I think you statement does not hold truth.

You get humiliated when chasing a game (whether 2-0 down against Germany or having to score 2 goals against Portugal or 2 goals against Denmark to win after all) the defenders stretch the field or if they don't cover through (don't know the English word for "doordekken"). Playing just a higher line is stupid if not paired with covering through. This is what Sneijder was angry about. Netherlands for example against Portugal did not receive their equalizer by a counter, but when they were defensive organised. The through ball was allowed to be given. The strength of the Dutch team during the WC was not so much sitting back all the time (against Spain we were really pushed back) but that the lines were close to each other, when defending or attacking. You can look back the games in the group stages, but in those games it were the other teams that parked the buss. We played with 2 DM's and the play looked rigid and not creative. Sneijder got mad, that this time when Netherlands attacked, the defense line just didn't follow up to make sure the second ball was for us again while pointing very clearly what the CD (Heitinga against Germany was the best example) had to do. That was the problem and he was right.

Besides that Netherlands needed to score 2 goals. Remember? You don't get those when you lean back.

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is a pretty good writer. I also follow him on Twitter.

Some of the names I have less faith in, but that is always subject of debate. I am glad he doesn't gloss over Anita and Clasie for being so little.

15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One thing though. He has also said that he would always remain willing to represent the Dutch NT when the NT coach appeals to him in a certain situation. The book is not as closed as it might look.

VDV is not going away. He will get his 100th cap. No doubt. I'm not sure why would have to stop competing for Dutch NT. he just has to accept the DM position against tough opposition is not for him and is second to Sneijder. VDV is still a magical player at times and he is also still very popular with his club. I would start worrying when he ends up at the bench at Spurs, not now.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Spurs look like they will bring in Villas-Boas as the new manager. He didn't work out on Chelsea because the older players didn't like him and there was a player revolt. He's a very good tactician and likes to play attacking free-flowing football. We'll see how he fits in Raffie. My worry is van der Vaart has slowed down and while he will still be a factor this next year, will he have the necessary speed and quickness by the time the WC comes along?

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wrong word. Better word here would be calls upon him, when the NT really needs him.

18. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I could only imagine that happening with a couple of injuries in midfield, he's 35, it is time for new talents like he said.

If the different camps rumors in the team are to be true, BvM has just lost his most important man to support his vision.

19. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    in my mind, he's trying to save his father in law's job, and he knows he can't continue, i mean they rest him for like 2 games before the champions league so he can play a full 90 minutes, the guy doesn' t have much left, unless he gets on some sort of fitness program

20. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011

I am well into my 20's. And since birth. And I dont play FIFA on my pc. That is for kids. I play FIFA only like once in 6-8 months when I meet my brothers & they pester me with it.

That is it. The rest I will respond later

21. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope Rafa gets his 100th cap & calls it quits. Everyone & their donkey knows that tomorrow he will not accept a permanent bench role & see guys like Van Rhijn,Viergever,Clasie,Strootman,Anita start.

He wont. He made a huge hue & cry after 1 match. And I am 100% sure if Kuyt was bad or Van Bommel not been the captain of an almost treble winning Bayern,he would have made another issue.

We WON then. Winning masks everything. That is the truth. I hope Maher or Wijnaldum develop enough to be decent subs to Sneijder if we stick to a 4-2-3-1,I prefer a 4-3-3 anyways. And anyways Sneijer will 100% of the match,everyone knows that. And we have Afellay for No.10 position.

Rafa is massively talented but I think for the next coach,it will suicidal to call Rafa. He will again create a storm in the middle of the tournament calling the press. Its way too big a risk to take

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Glad to see plenty of names thrown in the mix for the CB position. Viergiever, De Vrij and Nuytinck are close to earn their first caps. Hopefully one of them will become a top-drawer defender. Douglas is a must try, I think he will become a nice piece of the Dutch NT.. at the very least, a rotation player. Heitinga, Vlaar, and Bruma need to watch their rear view mirrors, they're in danger of getting passed by. Methinks the likes of Gooweleeuw and Van Dijk are longer-term prospect (after WC'14?)

23. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    i heard heitinga might not play for the national team again for leaking information about tactical plans and formations to the opposing teams

24. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If that's true, and it's a big if, then he should absolutely never play for Oranje again. That's inexcusable if intentional. And if it was merely blabbing it to his journalist girlfriend then it still shows very poor judgment, not unlike some of his crappy defending this tournament.

25. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    There is no shame in playing FIFA my man. I'm 29 and still enjoy getting my ass handed to me by 16 year old kids online.