2014 WC Brasil - CONCACAF WCQ opponents watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TimB4Last, Mar 1, 2012.

1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about us smashing them in Gold Cup final. We'll have a B-team as well.

2. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Seriously, not sure why you guys cant understand sarcasm.

3. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How come? Shouldn't you guys have your A team? I think it would be important for you guys to take advantage and be Champions this edition as this year's champion will play next editions champion for a ticket to the CC.

4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann has hinted at 2 teams this summer, one for qualifying and another for Gold Cup. So there's a possibility for fringe players to play in the Gold Cup.

You are correct in that there is now a greater incentive to win because of the new format.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks, if you want to talk about the failings of a team's fans, regardless of the team in question, then you will need to find another forum to do it.

6. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    BarcelonaDos midfielder Jonathan dos Santos could be on his way to Liverpool after admitting he wants to leave the Nou Camp this summer

7. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is kinda OT, but does anyone else think there are several CONCACAF programs that should be a lot better than they are?? Canada and Puerto Rico in particular--I don't expect them to compete consistently with the US and Mexico but given their resources, population, sporting culture, and integration into the US league structure Canada should be a solid second-tier CONCACAF team (on par with Honduras and Costa Rica) and Puerto Rico should be at least as good as teams like Jamaica, Guatemala, and Panama. I realize soccer isn't the #1 sport in either of those countries but that's also true of Jamaica and T&T (cricket) and Panama (baseball). Strange to me.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I don't have the quotes on hand but I remember people saying things like they were the best team in the western hemisphere.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We'll beat you 5-0 on penalties. :D

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There still is soccer culture in all of those countries you mention. Canada and Puerto Rico do not have an established soccer culture at all. But with MLS and the lower division teams it is slowly progressing for each respective country.

I also think what has helped Jamaica and T&T is the fact many of their best players play in England. Jamaica especially benefits from having many of their players live most of their lives there.
    Panama I would say has benefited a lot by having many of their players play in Colombia. Most of their key players on their roster have either played in Colombia in the past (Perez, Baloy, Tejada) or currently do play there.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does any other CONCACAF's non senior team scare anyone? I'm not versed enough in their teams to understand who we will face in the Gold Cup...

Aka, do we think the other teams in CONCACAF will mix up their teams more or take advantage of senior team call-ups after the group stage?

Wondering if that will impact qualifiers from the standpoint of injuries and depth.

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if some teams are going to have to play more tired players.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think any team should scare us...
    ...BUT I do think Costa Rica and Honduras can still have competitive teams out there that are mostly comprised of domestic League players and U-23 kids.

To be honest the teams I think can do the most damage in this Gold Cup are teams like Canada, El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago if they decide to bring their very best players.

Also a team like Martinique could be a surprise team reminiscent of Guadeloupe in 2007. They have a lot of talent playing in the French Lower divisions and other Euro Leagues.

Berks repped this.
  13. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Mexico will be without Vela again for the upcoming friendlies + qualifiers.

Berks repped this.
  14. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Mexico's upcoming schedule, and their sketchy form as of late, this will make Chepo look like either an idiot or a genius. Most likely the former

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Without a doubt Canada should be much better. But their talented youth seem to prefer other nations, Holland included despite the challenges for that. Their soccer federation need to start from the bottom on solving their woes.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    USA va. Honduras game in Rio Tinto.. my friend got some tickets. Expect quite a few Blue and Whites in the stands. Without the red ofcourse lol

17. pisku

pisku Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    With a combination of results Mexico could be out of the world cup after these 3 games, after a perfect run in the first round don´t know what it´s going on, but can´t wait to see what is going to happen if Jamaica, Panama and Costa Rica manage to get positive results oh my godness! XD

18. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While my schadenfreude levels would be through the roof if that occurred, I don't see it happening. I see Mexico getting at least 5 points from those three matches, even with their recent struggles

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And even if they lose their games 4-6 of the Hex, I wouldn't put it past them being able to go W-W-W-W in their final 4 games to get to 15 points and still make it to Brazil with that total.

20. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    So, in the USA, who is broadcasting Jamaica-Mexico in English, and who is broadcasting it in Spanish?

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Since the game is away in Kingston, I assume its Telemundo.. Don't think there will be an English call for it unless you have JTV which is Jamaican television.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is correct.

23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mexico is too good to not get in, but if they get anything less than 7 points in their next 3 matches they really start playing with fire

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We have some relevant friendlies to track this week ...

May 28 Canada v Costa Rica

May 31 Mexico v Nigeria

June 1 Panama v Peru

June 2 Honduras v Israel

Apparently Jamaica will jump right into qualifying, hosting Mexico on June 4 and the US on June 7.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like no Saborio for Costa Rica - he re-injured himself this weekend.