2014 WC Brasil - CONCACAF WCQ opponents watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TimB4Last, Mar 1, 2012.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Agreed.

Although, European teams generally don't live up to expectations (or just find the competition more difficult to overcome) when playing in a World Cup outside of Europe.

2. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    South Africa disproved that theory for the European teams that could avoid self implosion unfortunately for the French that doesn't seem possible

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I wouldn't say it "disproved that theory" -- I would say it provided a counter-example and warranted the "generally" qualifier as was used in the initial statement.

Is it fair to say that European national teams tend to do better (overall) in WCs played on their own continent?

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2014, and beyond of course.

For a WC finals taking place in Brazil, I tend to think a team like Uruguay might feel more at-home and preform better than would a (very talented) team like France. (With potential self-inflicted team implosions not withstanding, of course.)

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    The top 3 Euros did fairly well. Well only the Dutch and Spain did well. Germany had 2 GOOD wins, 2 losses, and 3 mediocre games. Only 6 of 12 or 13 Euros made it past the group stage. I suspect that is probably their worst rate of advancement ever.

France is looking very good. Of course, being in a group with Spain, they could easily finish second and lose the playoff.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Would be interesting to get the rates (and/or associated data) of every WC finals tournament for the UEFA nations.

I'd guess that those WCs played outside of Europe tend to have most of their lower advancement (and "overall tournament success") rates.

agreed.

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Brazil never fares well against France. facts

7. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tab5g repped this.
  8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    How often does Brazil play France outside of Europe, much less at home?

9. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is true that France has eliminated Brazil from the World Cup three times. But if wikipedia is right, Brazil and France have played 15 times: 6 French wins, 5 Brazilian wins, 4 draws. That's hardly one sided.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The underlined stuff is the stuff that hurts.

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course that's what really matters, but it isn't the same as saying "Brazil never fares well against France."

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

2011 Friendly: France 1-0 Brazil
    2006 World Cup: France 1-0 Brazil
    2004 Friendly: France 0-0 Brazil
    2001 Confederations Cup: France 2-1 Brazil
    1998 World Cup: France 3-0 Brazil
    1997 Friendly: France 1-1 Brazil
    1992 Friendly: France 0-2 Brazil
    1986 World Cup: France 1-1 Brazil, Brazil eliminated on PKs

Hasn't been since 1992 that Brazil has found success against the French, and if it wasnt for 92, it would've been 1986...

13. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    france has how many world cup titles

and at home, like england has one at home

i'd rather be brasil than either of those pretenders

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    That wasn't the argument nor the point.. point was, Brazil are traditionally do bad against France

15. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Of course, who's to say that the CONMEBOL teams won't fail to show up for "their" World Cup the same way that the African teams (except Ghana) fell on their face in 2010... nothing's guaranteed right now.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, Paraguay and Chile have lost a lot of steam. Colombia has become a world power, and Ecuador has improved significantly. Also, Peru and Venezuela have improved but probably not enough to qualify. If the South American representatives are Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Ecuador, I expect them not to do as well as last time around.

Chile may not get out of group, their defending is sub-par. Same for Uruguay, with an aging team. Ecuador also is not very likely to make it out of group. So we may see only three of them in the R16 and only 2 in the QFs. Which would be a much weaker showing than last time around.

17. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    south africa did not have real africa weather..it was winter there..

brasil will have brasilian summer. so euros will be crying and sweating a lot

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Then we'd better keep what we know about proper hydration a secret.

19. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    pickle juice

2002 japan/south korea, usa was well acclimated

suspect will be too in 2014

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Mods, please delete any/all references to pickle juice before word leaks out!

21. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    it's a fantastic electrolyte replacement.

before gatorade that's what they used

22. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like South Africa, Brazil is in the Southern Hemisphere, so it'll be winter there too. Some of the host cities are near the equator, so they'll be warmer, but most places the weather will be quite mild.

23. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
  24. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The average July high in Rio is virtually the same as in Paris. Though I suppose the difference is when they play in Europe, the games are at night whereas the Brazil games will be played in the afternoon.

Still it won't be nearly as bad as when the US hosted in 1994. Brazil won that, but 7 of 8 quarterfinalists were from Europe, so I wouldn't expect European teams to just wilt in the heat.

25. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012

more humid in rio, and it's winter for rio compared to summer for europe

i suppose eoru teams have a few weeks to acclimate, usa can do texas or florida and be just fine

stari g time in brasil...noon late afternnon and 9pm??